Recruiting Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 02:36 PM)
Gonna huh?

They have nobody for next year, and they wont in the future.  The guy simply cant recruit.

I love when people decide to post in threads where they have no idea what they are talking about, just to try and raise hell for no particular reason.

"The guy simply can't recruit" is soooo 2005 of you. That argument pretty much went out the door when Eric Gordon verballed to the Illini a few months ago. Hes the #1 SG in the country for 2007.

I do agree with Palehose however. The amount of guys that 'have to bulk up' that Weber is bringing in is insane. You can include Semrau, Cole and Tisdale all in that group.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 01:36 PM)
Gonna huh?

They have nobody for next year, and they wont in the future.  The guy simply cant recruit.

Umm I'll assume your just stupid or kidding?? The 2007 class has 3 top 100 players already, and is a lock to get a 4th, regardless of if it's Rose or not. That's a top 5 class. But lemme guess, that class is a fluke and Weber sucks. Go back to Kansas.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 02:02 PM)
I love when people decide to post in threads where they have no idea what they are talking about, just to try and raise hell for no particular reason.

"The guy simply can't recruit" is soooo 2005 of you. That argument pretty much went out the door when Eric Gordon verballed to the Illini a few months ago. Hes the #1 SG in the country for 2007.

I do agree with Palehose however. The amount of guys that 'have to bulk up' that Weber is bringing in is insane. You can include Semrau, Cole and Tisdale all in that group.

Agreed on all counts except 1. Semrau is actually about 6'10 235, he isn't really skinny at all. Cole and Tisdale got a LOT of work to do though.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 03:11 PM)
Agreed on all counts except 1.  Semrau is actually about 6'10 235, he isn't really skinny at all.  Cole and Tisdale got a LOT of work to do though.

I've seen a few recent pictures of Richard Semrau...hes not 'skinny' per se but he still needs a lot of time in the gym to prepare for the large step up in competition coming from a smallish private school in Ohio. But I guess you can say that for most every recruit.

I should of just changed my original post to 'recruiting a lot of white big men' :D

I'm actually excited to see what the offense will be like when all these multi-faceted big guys get on the floor. We will have big guys who can shoot it, big guys who can bang...should be interesting!

Wow are Illini fans touchy these days.

Lets be serious you are all riding your hope on 2007 class that for the most part will not even see the court and make major impacts until 2008 and 2009.

By then the entire landscape of the Big 10 could have completely changed, not to mention I do not believe that "verbal" is written in stone, and you can just as easily lose a top 100 recruit as gain one.

Nothing in life is certain, and really banking on recruit classes is more hit and miss than prospects in baseball.

Im sure the Illini will have a good program, whether or not it will be an elite program is for argument. But for people to just constantly come in and act like they know everything is just foolish.

Good luck, but come on, acting so aloof because of a 2007 class is kind of lame.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 02:20 PM)
Wow are Illini fans touchy these days.

Lets be serious you are all riding your hope on 2007 class that for the most part will not even see the court and make major impacts until 2008 and 2009.

By then the entire landscape of the Big 10 could have completely changed, not to mention I do not believe that "verbal" is written in stone, and you can just as easily lose a top 100 recruit as gain one.

Nothing in life is certain, and really banking on recruit classes is more hit and miss than prospects in baseball.

Im sure the Illini will have a good program, whether or not it will be an elite program is for argument. But for people to just constantly come in and act like they know everything is just foolish.

Good luck, but come on, acting so aloof because of a 2007 class is kind of lame.

I'm pretty sure the 2007 class is very very relevant when talking about whether someone can recruit or not.

That is most definitely true so how can the 2006 class Weber is bringing be dismissed because of star ratings?

No one is acting aloof because of an 07 class, the only reason it was brought up was because someone said Weber can't recruit.

Edited by WHarris1

Are you talking to me?

Because I put no faith in star ratings from 2 internet sites.

I believe Ive already posted this but, Beckum 5 star, number 1 rated DE from Wisconsin never even played a down this year. Where as a 3 star DT was one of Wisconsin's best players.

But then again, I actually watch the players play myself, and then rate them myself. Internet sites are fun and all, but for the most part they are just parrots.

And I think the relevant factor of whether some one can recruit or not is,

The final standings and the ability in the NCAA tournament.

Was Dick Bennet a bad recruiter because he never got any star players? Or was he a good recruiter because he got to the final 4 and set the Wisconsin program up to be one of the best in the nation?

End result is all that matters, not any sites ratings or rankings. So I dont judge classes until they are done.

::shrugs::

Once again, talking about recruits is fun and all. But recruits are only a small piece of the puzzle.

Im pretty sure that in the next half decade that regardless of whether or not Wisconsin gets hyped recruits as long as Ryan is the coach they will be top 3 Big 10.

SB

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 02:02 PM)

soo 2005 huh? The amount of defensive Illini fans are so great after one good run. All of a sudden Weber is a god, and Illinois is a basketball powerhouse. So you are resting your hopes on high school juniors huh? Good luck with that. The player rankings that you are basing your hopes on will no doubtedly change, and other players will be recruited by other schools. Having 3 players in the top 100 is a norm for elite programs,in the big ten alone, MSU, Wisconsin and OSU all have accomplished that or near that THIS year. Calling me stupid and telling me to "go to kansas" just makes you look more retarded. Considering you dont even know who I root for apparently, and take a blind shot in the dark makes you sound like a cubs fan taking a blind shot at a sox fan. Its not like im pulling this out of thin air, his team since he got to illinois was not recruited by him, and didnt really want to play for him in the first place. Now he is losing his top players, starting to build his own program, and doesnt appear to have made great strides in his first year after an elite season. He may be a good coach on the floor, but he is not good in the living room. And thats a fact. Grasp at straws all you want, it only makes you look defensive and weak.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 02:29 PM)
And I think the relevant factor of whether some one can recruit or not is,

The final standings and the ability in the NCAA tournament.

End result is all that matters, not any sites ratings or rankings. So I dont judge classes until they are done.

Im pretty sure that in the next half decade that regardless of whether or not Wisconsin gets hyped recruits as long as Ryan is the coach they will be top 3 Big 10.

Wouldn't that be somewhat of a testament to Bruce?

Like I said before no Illini fans are hanging their hopes on a 2007 recruiting class, merely pointing out that Weber can recruit hyped players.

You guys can't have it both ways. So recruiting rankings are overrated, but Illinois can't recruit, but their great 2007 class won't matter for a while.

The circular arguments are something, please just admit you hate Illinois and root for your team, because your clueless in this case.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 02:37 PM)
You guys can't have it both ways.  So recruiting rankings are overrated, but Illinois can't recruit, but their great 2007 class won't matter for a while.

The circular arguments are something, please just admit you hate Illinois and root for your team, because your clueless in this case.

It's actually pretty interesting.

First the football coach sucks because he can't coach on the field.

But then the basketball coach isn't special because he can't recruit. (His 06 class is no good because of poor star ratings, and the 07 class is bad because star ratings are no good)

i don't know what's worse, illinois fans getting overly defensive or people who don't like illinois and have agendas in any post they make regarding them.

regardless, i'll avoid getting into some long-winded discussion with people who are always going to find fault with illinois regardless of circumstance. i'll just say i'm confident in illinois coach, in its recruits and in the overall direction of the program. i'll leave it at that and let others get into the dogma.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 02:37 PM)
You guys can't have it both ways.  So recruiting rankings are overrated, but Illinois can't recruit, but their great 2007 class won't matter for a while.

Your and You're are two different words kid. Secondly I never said rankings are overrated, they just change. He has had 3 mediocre incoming classes correct? At this time next year if his next class is elite, I will change my perception, until then, he has shown he doesnt have the recruiting prowess it takes to compete year after year in a great conference.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 03:31 PM)
soo 2005 huh?  The amount of defensive Illini fans are so great after one good run.  All of a sudden Weber is a god, and Illinois is a basketball powerhouse.  So you are resting your hopes on high school juniors huh?  Good luck with that.  The player rankings that you are basing your hopes on will no doubtedly change, and other players will be recruited by other schools.  Having 3 players in the top 100 is a norm for elite programs,in the big ten alone, MSU, Wisconsin and OSU all have accomplished that or near that THIS year.  Calling me stupid and telling me to "go to kansas" just makes you look more retarded.  Considering you dont even know who I root for apparently, and take a blind shot in the dark makes you sound like a cubs fan taking a blind shot at a sox fan.  Its not like im pulling this out of thin air, his team since he got to illinois was not recruited by him, and didnt really want to play for him in the first place.  Now he is losing his top players, starting to build his own program, and doesnt appear to have made great strides in his first year after an elite season.  He may be a good coach on the floor, but he is not good in the living room.  And thats a fact.  Grasp at straws all you want, it only makes you look defensive and weak.

Where in the flying f*** did I call you a Kansas fan? Did you even read my post?

I could care less about rankings, I don't have to look any further than our own starting SG, Rich McBride to see that rankings mean absolutely nothing. He was highly touted, next great thing, and has turned out to be a spot shooter, and a bad one at that.

Your entitled to what you want to believe, but don't blurt out one-liners like "Bruce Weber can't recruit" and not expect to be questioned.

I'm not being defensive. All I know is the team that a lot of us root for has only lost twice this year, and both times the opposing teams fans were so jubilant to beat us they charged the floor...there is no greater compliment that that, IMO.

I'm not even defensive here, I'm simply pointing out the arguments being made are incredibly stupid. I'm not saying Bruce Weber is John Wooden or that Ron Zook is going to lead the Illini to Pasadena by 2009, but it's just simply amazing the blind Illini hate some people have, it really causes folks to leave logic and common sense out of arguments. I don't even bother reading the long winded anti Illini posts, because none make sense.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 02:39 PM)
i don't know what's worse, illinois fans getting overly defensive or people who don't like illinois and have agendas in any post they make regarding them.

regardless, i'll avoid getting into some long-winded discussion with people who are always going to find fault with illinois regardless of circumstance. i'll just say i'm confident in illinois coach, in its recruits and in the overall direction of the program. i'll leave it at that and let others get into the dogma.

BTW, I never said he was a bad coach. Bobby Knight was never a guy who recruited the huge stars out of high school. He just took his players, who were less talented, and beat the teams that he shouldnt have. Thats why I always liked him as a coach on the floor. Bruce Weber is 10 times the coach Bill Self ever was, but Self did bring in the better players.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 02:41 PM)
Where in the flying f*** did I call you a Kansas fan? Did you even read my post?

Didnt say you said that, if you read the post above yours, you would have saw who did. Thanks anyway.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 02:41 PM)
Your and You're are two different words kid.  Secondly I never said rankings are overrated, they just change.  He has had 3 mediocre incoming classes correct?  At this time next year if his next class is elite, I will change my perception, until then, he has shown he doesnt have the recruiting prowess it takes to compete year after year in a great conference.

Shaun Pruitt looked pretty good last night, that's a Weber recruit. Jamar Smith is top 10 in America shooting 3's, that's a Weber recruit. CJ is redshirting, but you'll see him next year. Frazier does very well for a freshman off the bench. His recruits other than Brock, who has been a bust, have seemed pretty decent so far. But then again, he can't recruit because he only gets 3 stars, but Wisconsin recruits well since they find 3 star "diamonds in the rough".

And please, save the spelling lessons and calling me "kid", not sure what point that makes other than your getting pissed and trying to hide it when in reality this is simply a friendly debate.

Harris,

1 good run does not make a program, and 1 good coaching year does not mean you are the next Dean Smith.

Whitesoxfan,

I dont hate the Illinois, I call a spade a spade.

Illini fans keep harping about how the 2007 class will be the messiah and then we will get to see the greatness of Illinois.

::shrugs::

Ive never said Illinois cant recruit.

I have said that the 2007 class wont matter for years.

You want to argue that point, fine.

As for hating the Illinois?

How can I hate something that I pity. Im from Illinois, I wish my home school put out a product that I could be proud of. I wish when I was chosing colleges that Illinois was on the same level as Wisconsin and Michigan in terms of athletics and education, it would have saved me a considerable amount of money.

But it just is not.

So you want to get in an argument with me Wisconsin versus Illinois since 1999, go ahead. That is when I chose Wisconsin over Illinois, prior to that I honestly never for a day rooted for Wisconsin as Illinois was my favorite team.

Its pathetic when some one can not attack the argument, they attack the person.

If not for an injury to Dee Brown Illinois was going to be a bottom dweller in the Big 10 this year.

Perhaps that is why no one can really take seriously all this talk of how Illinois is this great sports powerhouse.

I mean Ive read where people have said that Illinois sports program is better over all than Wisconsins.

Please argue with me, please tell me how the statement "Classes are based on record" is a circular argument.

Please Im dieing to hear it.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 03:43 PM)
Didnt say you said that, if you read the post above yours, you would have saw who did.  Thanks anyway.

Oh so you quote my post, then use 'you' as a pronoun for another post in the thread. You must have gotten confused midway through your epic mindless driveling. Thanks anyway.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 02:44 PM)
Shaun Pruitt looked pretty good last night, that's a Weber recruit.  Jamar Smith is top 10 in America shooting 3's, that's a Weber recruit.  CJ is redshirting, but you'll see him next year.  Frazier does very well for a freshman off the bench.  His recruits other than Brock, who has been a bust, have seemed pretty decent so far.  But then again, he can't recruit because he only gets 3 stars, but Wisconsin recruits well since they find 3 star "diamonds in the rough".

And please, save the spelling lessons and calling me "kid", not sure what point that makes other than your getting pissed and trying to hide it when in reality this is simply a friendly debate.

I do not believe that im the one getting pissed, I was simply correcting your spelling. I have tried to keep this as friendly as possible as I do not care much about the subject in all honesty.

So you name some players that are contributing, ok. That didnt answer the question, he has had 3 mediocre classes so far correct? If his next class is highly touted I will change my mind, but up to this point, he hasnt brought in one worth talking about.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 02:47 PM)
Oh so you quote my post, then use 'you' as a pronoun for another post in the thread. You must have gotten confused midway through your epic mindless driveling.  Thanks anyway.

You, was a general statement towards your side of the argument, I explained it in my post. I quoted you because I responded to your statement first. Try and keep your head out of the gutter though, the personal shots have no place here.

How does Zook being a bad football coach have anything to do with Bruce Weber or the Illini recruiting at basketball?

Zook is a bad coach. Ive watched him more years than any Illini fan on this site. He took Florida's program and ruined it, he set Rex Grossman back years.

Sorry if the truth is being blinded by my Illinois hate, but that is just absolutely the stupidest statement made.

I honestly doubt you will find any non-Illinois fan who has a problem with the statements Im making.

It seems the Illini fans stick together because of numbers and try and press their "viewpoint" on other people saying its "fact".

I attacked the person? Interesting, I must have missed that. Look, I'm not here to rip Illinois in all ways like you seem to be, I'm just saying it's circular to say a team will suck because they can't recruit 5 stars, but then say a great class doesn't matter since it won't make an impact for a few years. I am disappointed everybody here seems to take things so personal, I am simply pointing out dumb arguments. You may be wonderful people, but your arguments make no sense. If you want to say Illinois football sucks, fine it does. But don't tell me that the basketball team is heading down the s***ter because it's lost 2 tough road games and doesn't have a great recruiting class coming in next season, because that's senseless.