Recruiting Thread

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 12:47 PM)
i tend to doubt the veracity of the report, primarily because of the louisville mention. i know louisville was dar's top school for a long while, but i didn't think they had any schollies left after goode committed. i could be wrong, though.

however, since jordan crawford (once thought an iu lock) is now delaying his announcement, maybe sampson is making a late push for tucker.

Supposedly Tucker has already signed and mailed his LOI to DePaul...

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's over:

As for the 'Noles, Jefferies wouldn't say one way or another what the Benn camp was thinking, but he did add this about Florida State.

"They did it with a lot of class," said Jefferies. "They did a great, great, great job."

Maryland, FSU, and ND got Zooked.

QUOTE(Spod=Ratings @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 09:27 PM)
Tommorow is the day for me, i have been waiting and waiting for Benn's announcement.....I just hope he makes the right one....Illini baby!

I guess I can't blame him for picking UofI. He'll be an instant starter. Congrats.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Nov 9, 2006 -> 02:42 AM)
Greg Little also announces tomorrow. Final two of UNC and Notre Dame. I've heard that ND is the favorite right now, but he made some interesting comments about Butch Davis today, so we will see. He will be a great LB for someone.

According to an insider on the Carolina rivals website, Little was on a local Carolina radio station and was asked if he had been in contact with Butch Davis or if hiring Butch Davis would affect his decision, and he replied NO to both questions. Take it with a grain of salt, but I am pretty sure that Little will be Irish after tomorrow. Also, he will be a WR. While I would love to see him at either safety or linebacker, he has stated many times that he wants to play WR and would exclude teams that didn't intend on playing him at WR.

UI fans, congrats on getting Benn. Some pretty reliable insiders are stating that he will be Illini after tomorrow. I still don't think you guys get Austin though.

I like this news and I wish they went after him earlier because he'll probably say no now. Maybe Weber can get him drunk and get him to sign something.

Illini take aim at top prospect Mayo

It's a long shot, but they gauge interest of prep star Mayo

By Brian Hamilton

Tribune staff reporter

Published November 8, 2006, 11:07 PM CST

No telling where recreational fishing ranks among hobbies of the Illinois basketball coaches. But on Wednesday morning, they cast a line into some barracuda-filled waters.

In a curious turn as the early signing period began, Illinois assistant Jay Price called the coach of coveted guard O.J. Mayo, Scout.com's No. 1 prospect, evidently to gauge the 6-foot-4-inch star's interest.

"The call was basically what I would call very informal," Huntington (W. Va.) High coach Lloyd McGuffin said.

"Just that they noticed he listed them (among possible college choices), and if he was interested then they would have some interest, and for me to basically check with him and see what's going on. That's about it really."

Whether this gets anywhere beyond junior-high-dating levels of conversation is anyone's guess. McGuffin confirmed that Southern California and Kansas State remain the most ardent suitors, and they are presumed to be heavy favorites to land Mayo. McGuffin said it's "50-50" whether Mayo signs in the early period or waits until spring, as many expected.

"I don't want to put words in anybody's mouth," McGuffin said. "Certainly, it's a big decision and it's completely up to him. I'll relay the information (from Illinois) to him and he'll go from there."

Moving toward a decision

Thornton guard Mustapha Farrakhan said an offer from Illinois is on the table as of last week, and after visiting Virginia this weekend, he plans to decide before the early signing period ends Wednesday.

"I don't have to wait until the [spring] signing period," Farrakhan said, "because I'm not really waiting for any other schools."

Not anymore. Penn State and Vanderbilt have been in the picture. But both Virginia and Illinois, the latter spurned by Derrick Rose and Eric Gordon, were apparently late-comers. Which, thanks to reminders to be patient and flexible from his family, isn't a deal-breaker for Farrakhan.

"It's kind of late, but my Dad just tells me to keep an open mind," the 6-4 guard said. "[illinois] told me the situation that went on, about Eric Gordon decommitting and all that. I was the next option, I guess.

"They've seen me play, they said I'd be pretty good in system, that I'd have the opportunity to be a pretty good player in the Big Ten."

Edited by nitetrain8601

yeah, that story was interesting. i don't think there's a chance in hell that he chooses us, but frankly i wish they'd called earlier. i realize he comes with baggage, but he's the top player in the nation, plays a position illinois desperately needs, and has listed illinois from the beginning.

again, a super, super long shot, but you gotta at least take a shot.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Nov 9, 2006 -> 07:29 AM)
yeah, that story was interesting. i don't think there's a chance in hell that he chooses us, but frankly i wish they'd called earlier. i realize he comes with baggage, but he's the top player in the nation, plays a position illinois desperately needs, and has listed illinois from the beginning.

again, a super, super long shot, but you gotta at least take a shot.

Especially after the Gordon and Rose fiasco's. I've always felt he was the #1 player regardless of baggage. He's like Dwayne Wade with a 3 point shot and just overall better.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Nov 9, 2006 -> 01:36 PM)
Especially after the Gordon and Rose fiasco's. I've always felt he was the #1 player regardless of baggage. He's like Dwayne Wade with a 3 point shot and just overall better.

i've seen mayo, gordon, and rose play, and i would say mayo is slightly better. but really, it's a negligible difference.

also, this is a good read...

interesting article on the nature of basketball recruiting rankings

Edited by thedoctor

Little is a pretty horrendous WR and schools know it from watching him try to play the position in camps, as he has NO hands whatsoever. Schools will tell him anything he wants to hear to get him signed and on campus, but he will end up on the defensive side of the ball. I still believe it will be ND as well, but I know there is a long ways to February as well.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Nov 9, 2006 -> 03:07 PM)
Little is a pretty horrendous WR and schools know it from watching him try to play the position in camps, as he has NO hands whatsoever. Schools will tell him anything he wants to hear to get him signed and on campus, but he will end up on the defensive side of the ball. I still believe it will be ND as well, but I know there is a long ways to February as well.

I can't say that I have seen him play in person, but the video I have seen of him would argue otherwise. The one problem he has is that he has limited experience at WR because he has played all over(QB, RB, WR, LB, SS) the field in high school, but he certainly looked like a very good WR in the video I saw of him. Furthermore, a so-called "recruiting expert" from NC called him a slightly bigger, more athletic version of Benn, without the great hands or route running ability at this point due to a lack of experience at this point. I guarantee you that he will play WR no matter which school he picked.

On a side note, there is a long time from now until signing period, so I am not that confident in his verbal. This was a kid who was truely torn between two schools, and now that UNC has a big name coach he might get a ton of pressure from Davis and local friends/family to stay in NC. He sounds like a great kid and great football talent, so I am happy to have him aboard for the time being though.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 9, 2006 -> 04:34 PM)
Don't be surprised if Farakhan signs with the Illini before the early signing period ends next week.

i'd be happy with that. he'd be a good addition i think.

what do you think of bocot? just saw some video of him on mid-state hoops and he's an intriguing athlete. the questions seem to surround his attitude more than his ability.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Nov 9, 2006 -> 11:45 AM)
i'd be happy with that. he'd be a good addition i think.

what do you think of bocot? just saw some video of him on mid-state hoops and he's an intriguing athlete. the questions seem to surround his attitude more than his ability.

Farrakhan has a little more polished game and a WAY better attitude than Bocot (Farrakhan is just a great kid by all I've been told and heard). Farrakhan and his family also love Illinois, he has an offer on the table, and he says he is going to sign with whoever he chooses before this period ends. I'd say it's more likely than not he signs in the next week.

As for Bocot.....his attitude makes me too nervous, and his game is good, but not any better than Farrakhan IMO.

maryland's scout board administrator is reporting benn will select illinois tonight. i'm not a premium member, but those who are say the admin is citing sources close to him.

if true, that's a nice, nice get for illinois. if he indeed comes, benn, juice, mendenhall, and cumberland will give illinois a heckuva offensive skill position talent corps.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Nov 9, 2006 -> 04:27 PM)
Its just one receiver...im playing dumb, but whats so great about one guy.

Hopefully, one guy begets another 4 or 5 star recruit, who begets another 4 or 5 star recruit, who begets another 4 or 5 star recruit, and so on, and so on....

THAT'S what's so great about the guy. Getting a 5 star, arguably one of the best WRs in the class over Florida State and Notre Dame...AND to a 2-7 team. THAT'S a HUGE get.