Recruiting Thread

Yes they are highlight video's, but there are certain things that you can see from video's and arm strength is one of them. If a guy can make a throw 5-6 times in game video's, then he has the ability to make the throw. I don't doubt that he has problems with some throws, 99% of QB's do, but he is coming to college more equipped than most QB's do.

I simple don't see the best high school QB in the past decade when I watch him though.

I don't believe that either, and like I said earlier, I don't even think he's the best QB in the class (Mallett). But I do think he's one of the 3 best QB's in the class and a top 50 player in the nation.

Forgot to add that Claussen is still the top QB on Scout, ESPN, and Rivals, and is the top overall player on Rivals, 4th on ESPN, and in the top 5 for Scout.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Dec 31, 2006 -> 10:43 PM)
Spurrier hates recruiting? Not sure who spread that mistruth years ago at Florida. Now up to 8th overall with this class so far, and 5 star DE Carlos Dunlap still expected to announce USCs way....go get em Spur!

He did hate it....at Florida. He said as much too, saying he'd rather golf. Thing was, he could get away with it at UF since he could cherry pick whoever he wanted. Now, at USC, he knows he's gotta work to get the star recruits, and to his credit, he's getting it done.

The battle for John Clay between Iowa and Wisconsin will be over tomorrow with Clay announcing at the Army All American game.

Its getting pretty intense at the Rival and Scout sites with different posters offering thousand dollar wagers on where he is going to end up. Both Wisconsin and Iowa fans claim they have inside information that Clay is 100% going to their school.

It would be hard for me to imagine Wisconsin losing Clay, but the RB situation at Iowa is much easier for him to step right in.

Also should be some other recruits who select a hat tomorrow.

QUOTE(He_Gawn @ Jan 5, 2007 -> 11:10 PM)
Around 12 potential Irish recruits will be deciding tomorrow. We reportedly have a good shot at 5-7 of them.

I am not sure where you got the 12 number from. Maybe you mean committed recruits AND potential recruits combined at the AAA game? Here is a list of the potential recruits that have ND as one of their favorites that are going to announce tomorrow.

*Martin 4 star DE - likely either OSU or ND: give the slight edge to OSU at this point

*Donald 5 star LB - down to Tenn or ND: my gut tells me Tenn but Weis recently stated that a couple blue chip recruits will commit at the AAA game and hinted at Donald so I don't know

*Edwards 4 star LB - down to Mich, Flor, and ND: ND has as good a shot as any team although it is always tough to pull southern boys away from their hometown favorites(Flor)

*Romine 4 star OL - likely down to OU and ND: i thought that Romine soured on ND, but they are still in the running, I still think he is OU bound

*Williams 4 star S - down to Mich and ND: reports say that Mich has the lead at this point

*Hughes 4 star RB - down to Ill, OSU, and ND: I think he will end up at Ill

Either way, it will still be a huge day(positive or negative) for the Irish tomorrow. I think ND will end up with 2-3 commitments after tomorrow and that should all but secure a top 5 class for them. Enjoy the game.

*Hughes 4 star RB - down to Ill, OSU, and ND: I think he will end up at Ill

I have not heard that OSU is involved in Hughes and the last Scout article http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=162&p=2&c=605565 said:

Shortly after arriving in San Antonio Robert Hughes informed Scout.com that he has trimmed his list to Wisconsin, Illinois and Notre Dame.

Almost every Wisconsin fan believes that he will be a Zook.

Of course there are a ton of ND and potential ND guys in the game, Lemming makes that game a ND recruiting commercial every year. It's the ultimate conflict of interest of all time. And if Clay doesn't end up at Wisconsin, I'd be shocked.....Wisky doesn't lose in state guys to anybody, let alone Iowa.

I was basing my Hughes final 3 on direct quotes from Hughes about 2 weeks ago. Also, on the Rivals special on players announcing at the AAA game it listed Hughes final 3 as ILL, ND, and OSU. Either way, for all intensive purposes it is down to ILL and ND. If Wisconsin is interested in landing a top RB they better get Clay because the only thing they are fighting for with Hughes is who will finish a distant 3rd behind ILL and ND. With that said, all indications are that he will be heading to ILL next year. I would love to see Hughes at ND, but ND appears to be in good shape at RB without Hughes.

I am a bit surprised that Martin is heading to Tenn. It just goes to show how unpredictable some of these 18 year old kids are. You can have all the insider information in the world and still miss. I thought for sure that he was heading for OSU. Once again, it would have been great for ND to land Martin, but they already have two very underrated DE prospects already committed.

Apparently ND will not be shut out today. Rumor has it that 4 star OL Romine will announce ND over OU later today. Weis has done a nice job rebuilding the talent and depth at OL with the past two recruiting classes. ND is also in the running for 4 star OL Summer-Gavin, although I think he is heading to Cal at this point.

I can't wait until 5 star LB Donald makes his decision known. He has really kept things quiet despite the fact that he made his decision about 2 months ago. Insiders for both Tenn and ND think he is heading their way, but my gut tells me he is Tenn bound. Either way, I will be glad that he announces one way or the other(a little more happy if he puts on the ND hat though).

ND best bet, besides Romine, is likely 4 star LB Edwards. I have seen some conflicting reports, some saying ND and some saying FL, but ND is in pretty good position.

I think 4 star S Williams will announce for Mich in the end.

My final predictions: Hughes - ILL, Romine - ND, Donald - Tenn, Edwards - FL/ND(too close to tell, who knows maybe even Mich), Williams - Mich

From Rivals based on this week's practice at the All-American Bowl:

Ryan Mallett, QB, Texarkana (Texas) Texas HS

Texarkana (Texas) Texas quarterback Ryan Mallett has become the unofficial captain of the West squad with his leadership skills this week in practice. Besides showing off his big-time arm, Mallett has punted, long-snapped and played wide receiver this week in practice. No player has ever had a stronger arm at the U.S. Army All-American Bowl than Mallett, who has thrown a football 87 yards before.

Mallett has already graduated and enrolled at Michigan. He will begin attending classes this week and be ready for spring practice.

Looking forward to seeing Aaron Nagel play. I know there was a lot of question s to why he's there (many thought because he is a ND commit and the game is on NBC), but regardless of that I can't wait to see a former classmate play on national tv (He and Molk are the only two from Lemont to go play for a big college).

I hate being right! A bad day for ND fans, especially in terms of defensive recruiting as S Williams selects UM, LB Edwards selects FL, and LB Donald selects Tenn. The only potential good news is that two top DL(Barksdale and Davis) selected LSU which might help ND's chances with DT Blackwell. Besides that, unless there are a few surprises, ND is relatively done recruiting this year and will likely just miss out on a top 5 class.

On a positive note, they did get a commitment from OL Romine as expected, and he has really impressed during practice at the AAA. Weis has done a nice job of rebuilding the OL depth with 1 5-star recruit and 6 4-star recruits over the past 2 seasons(plus 3 3-star recruits).

Anybody know why Ronald Johnson didn't play in yesterday's game? He's rated the nations #1 WR by Rivals, yet most schools are recruiting him to be a lock down corner. He's a 5-star player, so I can't see why he wouldn't have been invited to play.

Any info out there?