Recruiting Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(farmteam @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 03:40 PM)
4-star safety Jerimy Finch and 3-star DT Jeff Boyd, both of Warren Central, commited to Indiana yesterday.

Finch used to be commited to Michigan.

Will this have a big impact on their program, or will it not mean much?

I'm pretty psyched and shocked about the commitments. I knew they were visiting this weekend, but I didn't expect much out of it, let alone a decision that fast. IU doesn't have a glowing football history, and this is a great start to building something.

Coach Hep's improved the team the past two years, and with a favorable schedule I'm fairly confident the Hoosiers can be bowling this upcoming season. Things are definitely heading in the right direction.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 16, 2007 -> 02:37 AM)
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

According to a Wisconsin site he is the father of the Illinois recruit,

http://illinois.rivals.com/viewprospect.as...mp;pr_key=50004

Now Im not sure that this is true, but if it is I have to believe that the son will now be a Gopher.

You should be right. I remember not too long ago he was considered for another head coaching job, and if he got it, it was waid that Tim would follow him there. Don't see how this is any different. Anyway, not a huge loss with Juice being at their helm the next 3 years.

I already read that article.

I dont think a decision like this is so easy that you can call a kid the night of the news breaking and ask:

"Are you sure your going to school A?"

Especially when he realizes Minnesota has no QB depth compared to having to sit behind Juice for 2-3 years?

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 08:51 PM)
I already read that article.

I dont think a decision like this is so easy that you can call a kid the night of the news breaking and ask:

"Are you sure your going to school A?"

Especially when he realizes Minnesota has no QB depth compared to having to sit behind Juice for 2-3 years?

True but playing for your dad could be an incredibly f***ed up situation. In high school it's fine because it effects less people.

But what if Clint goes to Minnesota and struggles, can his dad just bench him like any other QB?

Bench him for who?

Its not a situation with any other QB. Minnesota has nothing there to compete with.

At this point it really cant get much worse for Minnesota, Brewster would be there top recruit by a significant margin. He is not even close to Illinois best recruit, nor is he line for playing time. Not to mention it is questionable how a pocket passing qb fits into the mold a Zook qb like Leak or Juice?

Its not a good situation no matter what. Lets say that Minnesota beats Illinois, or that Minnesota gets a good recruit etc. Wont the Illinois fans be on Clint?

Lets say he losses against Minnesota, wont there be questions?

Its lose lose, but if it was my choice, I would chose helping my dad in his first head coaching job. I would be almost immediately his best player, and best chance at turning around the program.

But thats just me.

(Minnesota does have 2 other 3 star qb's in Carlson and Weber)

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 09:06 PM)
Haig is only a 2 star on other sites, sorry.

WTF, is there a right or wrong answer?

Hell, either way he's still an option to outplay Brewster in practices and camps which could create a tough call for the coach.

3 star vs. 2 star - who cares? Either way there are 2 *** and a couple ** to compete with Brewster.

Edited by WHarris1

For comparison since you pointed to haig and weber:

Scout:

Pos: QB Pos Rank: #78 Haig

Pos Rank: #32 Weber

Pos: QB Pos Rank: #24 Bewster

Rivals Pro Style QB's

Brewster is 15

Haig 26

Pretty significant difference in talent between Brewster.

But I have no inside information, just saying it would be hard for me in his situation. As a Wisconsin fan I dont really care where they go. In fact at Illinois there is a better chance Brewster never hits the field.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 09:11 PM)
For comparison since you pointed to haig and weber:

Scout:

Pos: QB Pos Rank: #78 Haig

Pos Rank: #32 Weber

Pos: QB Pos Rank: #24 Bewster

Rivals Pro Style QB's

Brewster is 15

Haig 26

Pretty significant difference in talent between Brewster.

But I have no inside information, just saying it would be hard for me in his situation. As a Wisconsin fan I dont really care where they go. In fact at Illinois there is a better chance Brewster never hits the field.

Ok now compare Carlson?

I'm not really sure how this is a debate of any form, I was just throwing a few names out there who could easily be competing with Brewster for PT.

Edited by WHarris1

Its not a debate.

It just seems like you feel there is absolutely no way that Brewster would leave Illinois.

I believe that a big part of the reason he chose Illinois was that his father was an alumni there, and now the same kid is being asked whether he wants to play against his father or play for him.

It could happen, it could not. Either way right now Brewster is being regarded as one of the best recruiters in the nation. Thats not a good for Wisconsin because a down Minnesota means an easier time recruiting.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 09:15 PM)
Its not a debate.

It just seems like you feel there is absolutely no way that Brewster would leave Illinois.

I believe that a big part of the reason he chose Illinois was that his father was an alumni there, and now the same kid is being asked whether he wants to play against his father or play for him.

It could happen, it could not. Either way right now Brewster is being regarded as one of the best recruiters in the nation. Thats not a good for Wisconsin because a down Minnesota means an easier time recruiting.

But I am in no way saying there is no way he would leave Illinois, I never implied it either.

I was simply starting his reasons for staying as the reasons for going to Minnesota are quite obvious.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 07:08 PM)
WTF, is there a right or wrong answer?

Hell, either way he's still an option to outplay Brewster in practices and camps which could create a tough call for the coach.

3 star vs. 2 star - who cares? Either way there are 2 *** and a couple ** to compete with Brewster.

Green Jacket, Yellow Jacket...who gives a s***.

Indianapolis (Ind.) Warren Central safety Jerimy Finch switched his commitment from Michigan to Indiana over the weekend after an official visit to Bloomington. Following his pledge, reports immediately surfaced that his teammate, Virginia Tech running back commit Darren Evans was also at Indiana and maybe considering making the switch as well.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 09:17 PM)
But I am in no way saying there is no way he would leave Illinois, I never implied it either.

I was simply starting his reasons for staying as the reasons for going to Minnesota are quite obvious.

From the Sun-Times today (and from the horses mouth):

QB Brewster picks Illini over Dad

January 18, 2007

MINNEAPOLIS -- New Minnesota football coach Tim Brewster has a reputation as a strong recruiter, and he pledged Wednesday to personally canvass the state in search of top talent.

But he'll have a tough sell in his own family if he wants his son to play for him. Clint Brewster, a senior quarterback at Denver's Mullen High School, has committed to Illinois, where his dad played in the early 1980s.

''I love him to death,'' Tim Brewster said, adding that the Illini made him ''promise'' he wasn't going to try to recruit his son.

Clint, who attended his father's introductory news conference on campus and wore a Minnesota T-shirt, said his dad told him he was ''welcome'' to play for the Gophers. But he said he won't change his mind.

''I've been living with him for 18 years, and I think it's time for us to part ways,'' Clint Brewster said, smiling. ''Illinois is the right spot for me.''

AP