Recruiting Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any Indiana viewers see that Gordon missed his first 3 shots last and did NOT miss against for the rest of the night against a very very good Lawrence North team? Down by seven going into the last quarter he scored 20 of his game high 38 points. The thing that impresses me most is that he creates everything off of his own defense. He had like 3 or 4 straight steals.

He's coming to my school again today to watch our girls basketball team, but I think im to much of a pussy to ask for his autograph just due to the fact that I'm the same age as him haha.

QUOTE(He_Gawn @ Jan 20, 2007 -> 09:56 AM)
Any Indiana viewers see that Gordon missed his first 3 shots last and did NOT miss against for the rest of the night against a very very good Lawrence North team? Down by seven going into the last quarter he scored 20 of his game high 38 points. The thing that impresses me most is that he creates everything off of his own defense. He had like 3 or 4 straight steals.

He's coming to my school again today to watch our girls basketball team, but I think im to much of a pussy to ask for his autograph just due to the fact that I'm the same age as him haha.

If you'd actually check out the Hoosiers thread on TalkBigTen, you'd see I posted that about 7:30 this morning. Try and keep up. ;-)

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 11:24 AM)
hughes to notre dame

nice pick up for the irish.

They should be ecstatic that Walker left. Instead of Walker in 2007, you get to see Prince and Armando Allen, plus now they get Hughes, which never would have happened had Walker stayed, and they finally beat the mighty Illini for a recruit, so congrats there too.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 11:13 AM)
They should be ecstatic that Walker left. Instead of Walker in 2007, you get to see Prince and Armando Allen, plus now they get Hughes, which never would have happened had Walker stayed, and they finally beat the mighty Illini for a recruit, so congrats there too.

I'll take Walker. The guy is one of the more underheralded backs in Notre Dame history. He was a very patient runner, a good receiver and a steady horse in the backfield. I expect him to go on and be a first day pick (2nd to 3rd round...probably more like 3rd round) and end up having a pretty darn solid career (he did nothing exceptionally, but everything well).

whitesoxfan101, don't forget about Aldrige. He will likely be the #1 back to start the year. Personally, I am not a huge Aldrige fan based on what I saw last year. He runs too uptight and rigid, and rarely makes people miss. He is a bigger back and does have the ability to break tackles, but I didn't see a 5 star RB. Granted, I have to take into consideration that he was a true freshman and coming off a pretty serious knee injury his senior year, but I wasn't impressed.

Chisoxfn, I agree with you that Walker is an underrated COLLEGE RB, with the key word being college. I don't think Walker will be a consistent every down back in the NFL. He just doesn't have the measurables that scouts look for.

1) He is undersized(legit 5'9 195)

2) He is slow(4.55-4.6 40 time)

3) He doesn't make many people miss on a consistent basis.

He is very patient and hits the hole well, is a very good receiver out of the backfield, and does a good job of blocking/picking up the blitz. That sounds like a classic 3rd down back to me. In fact, I think a good comparison would be Kevin Faulk of the Pats. At best, I see Walker going in the 3rd round, and more likely going in day 2. I do think it was wise for him to leave after this year for a couple of reasons.

1) This years RB class is relatively weak

2) He is leaving on a positive note. An impressive bowl game against one of the top defenses in the country. 3) Next years ND team is going to be young and inexperienced, and go through some growing pains. He probably would have also lost some carries as well.

No idea why Hughes went to ND, he would have played as a true frosh at Illinois, and at ND, I think he'll be behind Prince, Aldridge, AND Allen.

Because in the X years the NCAA has existed this has always been how it was done. The best players went to the best colleges regardless of playing time as a true freshman (completely unheard of) as they were almost always redshirted.

Right now what Zook is doing at Illinios goes against almost all recruiting hsitory.

The reasons why you would chose ND over Illinois are numerous, and pretty apparent. (Chances of winning, national exposure, chances of being drafted in first round, etc)

Right now what Zook is doing at Illinios goes against almost all recruiting hsitory.

Not quite, it's pretty normal in recruiting. Some recruits want to have all the attention and playing time, others want to be part of a bigger program and don't mind competing for p/t.

In 2002 Baylor managed a top 21 class, and pulled in a 5 star, 10 4 star recruits, and 10 3 star recruits.

In 2003 NC State pulled in a top 10 class, and Washington had a top 18 class.

In 2005 Arizona pulled in a top 15 class

A majority of the time the top programs will dominate recruiting, for a few reasons.

1. They attract the better players(DUH :-) )

2. The recruits they recruit are bumped up in the rankings.

Overall, programs with good recruits can sell their program as an up and coming program for a few years before it wears off. UNC had back to back top 18 classes in 03 and 04 before the message wore off and recruits didn't buy the up and coming thing anymore. Zook needs to start winning or his message will wear off as well.

I still think that comparitively more top recruits follow the going to big time winning programs, than go to 2-9 programs. Sure you are going to find 1-2 teams a year that have a top 25 class and are not one of the power teams.

But in the end most of the top talent is still going to the same schools.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 09:30 PM)
Because in the X years the NCAA has existed this has always been how it was done. The best players went to the best colleges regardless of playing time as a true freshman (completely unheard of) as they were almost always redshirted.

The reasons why you would chose ND over Illinois are numerous, and pretty apparent. (Chances of winning, national exposure, chances of being drafted in first round, etc)

All of that is accurate, but I see no way in hell why Hughes would go to ND. Hard to get exposure when you can't get on the field. And this goes beyond Illinois, Hughes had a lot of other BIG TIME programs that wanted him and could offer PT if he had went to them.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 24, 2007 -> 08:39 AM)
All of that is accurate, but I see no way in hell why Hughes would go to ND. Hard to get exposure when you can't get on the field. And this goes beyond Illinois, Hughes had a lot of other BIG TIME programs that wanted him and could offer PT if he had went to them.

Maybe it was about more than PT? Maybe he clicked better with Weis and the offensive coaching staff? Maybe he liked the campus? Obviously, it's about football first, but there are so many intangibles that can go into recruiting, there's no way to know why.

I just think its hard to compete against:

If you play at ND you are going to be on national television every week. You are going to be over-hyped, over-rated, and make millions off of this when you go into the NFL draft.

Or you can go to Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, etc where half of your games may not even be on television.

From the "department of WHAT THE HELL?" department:

Hoosier recruit Eli Holman, who hadn't been playing this year as a HS senior due to assaulting a ref last season during a game, was hit in the spine with a bullet during a drive by on his Mercedes. Fortunately, he was treated and released, but what an odd story.

www.contracostatimes.com/...532790.htm

www.idsnews.com/news/stor...did=sports

www.insidebayarea.com/pre...ci_5066480

Yeah, this guy's weird. I loved his numbers as a junior, averaged a triple double with points, boards, and blocks. He's 6-11 with a 7-7 wing span, but I didn't find out that he wasn't going to play this season until after he signed his LOI.

And then this story was in the IDS this morning; sketchy stuff.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 24, 2007 -> 08:56 PM)
From the "department of WHAT THE HELL?" department:

Hoosier recruit Eli Holman, who hadn't been playing this year as a HS senior due to assaulting a ref last season during a game, was hit in the spine with a bullet during a drive by on his Mercedes. Fortunately, he was treated and released, but what an odd story.

www.contracostatimes.com/...532790.htm

www.idsnews.com/news/stor...did=sports

www.insidebayarea.com/pre...ci_5066480

Am I right to assume he is of a "tougher" neighborhood then? What is he doing driving a Mercedes?

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 24, 2007 -> 03:34 PM)
Am I right to assume he is of a "tougher" neighborhood then? What is he doing driving a Mercedes?

Possibly, but either way it made me suspecious too. I grew up in a middle class neighborhood, and I didn't know anybody who could even afford to touch a Benz, so who knows.