Recruiting Thread

ohio state and illinois fans can check out some of their basketball recruits thursday night on espn2 when lawrence north plays north central. ln has osu recruits greg oden and mike conley, and nc has illinois recruit eric gordon.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 04:42 PM)
ohio state and illinois fans can check out some of their basketball recruits thursday night on espn2 when lawrence north plays north central. ln has osu recruits greg oden and mike conley, and nc has illinois recruit eric gordon.

BTW, if anyone hasnt checked out Oden, you should. He is a beast. Likewise, Gordon is a stud in the making.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 08:38 PM)
BTW, if anyone hasnt checked out Oden, you should.  He is a beast.  Likewise, Gordon is a stud in the making.

Can't wait to watch. Oden dominated Carlwell (UI recruit,) so I will be interested to see how his counterpart, Conley, guards Gordon. I am jacked up about tomorrow night's game. Like you said Rock, Gordon is a stud in the making. He already is a dynamic scorer, give him another year in high school and the kid will be unreal.

Wow, a multi-page Illinois recruiting bashing argument that I'm not even involved in yet. :P I'm going to break my response into two posts since it will be pretty long.

I will say this, thus far, Weber has been a very good in game coach. He's done an awful lot this year without a whole lot of talent, and he did well with the remnants of Self's group. However, saying that he's done well on his own so far is less than accurate.

You can argue all you want about the recruiting sites, but to this point Weber's recruits haven't peformed either so it's a mute point. Before you rip that statement, read my assessments. I think they're fairly accurate.

IIRC He has partial claim to the 2003 class. Self recruited most of these guys, but Weber came in before everything was finalized. That group was Warren Carter, Rich McBride, and Brian Randle. Carter was rated #89, McBride was #31, and Randle was #53. That's a pretty good class for a top program, although much of that can probably be attributed to Self. Now, let's look at what those guys have done so far. Carter has shown absolutely nothing. McBride is in his 3rd year and is still nothing more than a role player that plays decent defense and hits the occasional 3, with some bad percentages this year none the less. On a good team he's a 6th man, but he's their starting SG. Randle has been in the progam for 3 years now and is still only showing flashes. He has good athleticism that allows him to make the occasional impact, but he's a brutal shooter that usually doesn't create his own points and often gets in foul trouble. This class was good on stars but not so hot on impact. We have two role players and a scrub, meaning it's mediocre at best. We can split the blame on this one: Self for recruiting underacheivers and Weber for not doing much with them. The only saving grace is that Randle has the potential to be an impact player in the next two seasons with some work on his game.

2004 was Shaun Pruitt, rated #78, and Calvin Brock, a 3-star that wasn't ranked. This is definitely a subpar-class for most programs. Calvin Brock redshirted his freshmen year and is a garbage minutes player this year. I've seen nothing as of yet to suggest that this is going to change. Pruitt played sparingly his first year, but is a decent role player this year. He's probably not going to turn it around this year, but there is some hope for next year. In terms of performance, you have one passable player and one non-factor. Not exactly a stellar showing.

2005 was Charles Jackson (#121), Chester Frazier (unranked 3-star), and Jamar Smith (unranked 3-star). Just based on rankings, this is a brutal class for a major program. Frazier gets some minutes and makes a marginal contribution. Jackson is a probable redshirt. Smith also gets time and shoots well, but does little else. It's somewhat pre-mature to judge this class, but for major programs you usually expect some help from your new guys. Jackson is a non-factor who we haven't really seen, so it's hard to judge his potential. Frazier hasn't done a whole lot, and is probably on the Rich McBride-career track as of right now. Smith looks like a steal that will at least be able to shoot, although he will need to develop his game to be a real impact player. Passable effort.

This year's incoming class is Brian Carlwell (#40) and Richard Semrau (unranked 3-star). This is a below average class for a high major, although there is some potential for it to get better. Getting someone like Ramar Smith would be huge since they'll probably need some guard help. Carlwell is a pretty good recruit, but all accounts seem to say that he's a bit of a project. He seems to have Brian Cook like potential, although he isn't as polished or touted as Cook was coming out of high school. Semrau seems to have some talent since he was ranked higher at one point, but he clearly needs to add some bulk to do much in the Big Ten. My guess is he'll redshirt. Obviously I can't judge performance on this group yet.

2007 shows some signs of hope. Eric Gordon is a stud guard that is ranked #5 overall that could have an instant impact. Bill Cole is ranked #85 overall, although he also needs to add about 20 pounds to be able to do anything in the near future. Mike Tisdale is ranked #100 and is depressingly thin, weighing only 195 even though he is 6'11". I'd be very surprised if he doesn't redshirt. This is getting closer to a really good class, but I'd call it merely decent thus far. You have one apparent instant impact player and two fairly highly rated guys that appear to be projects. They need at least one other big time player to push it into the top 10. Derrick Rose would be huge. However, it still might not rank in the top 5 even if they get him. Other schools that get 3 impact players would probably be higher. It's obviously a little early to rank classes.

So in 4 years (three full years and parts of two others), he's come up with 0 impact starters, 4 role players (3 of which I'd say might become solid starters in the coming years), and two still pending top 50 recruits, one of which looks to have an immediate impact. That's not really acceptable for a team that is supposed to be a perrenial conference contender. He hasn't really done a lot to build on the talent that Self brought in. My assessment of the immediate future is in another post.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

Now that I went through the recruiting, let's see what that means for the forseeable future.

2006- Frazier will probably end up as the starting PG. The wing positions will be filled by some combination of McBride, Smith, and Randle. If Randle doesn't start on the wing, he will be at PF. Pruitt will start either at PF or at C. The other post spot will likely go to Arnold or Carlwell. Other contributors will be Carter, Brock, Jackson, and Semrau if he doesn't redshirt.

Unless some of these players really step up their game, this looks like a borderline tourney team that will be fighting in the middle of the pack in the conference. This team will be the result of some subpar recruiting the last couple of years. They have no returning impact players, and the players they do have back have not been team leaders that are counted on to consistently produce. Randle, Pruitt, Smith, and McBride will be crucial if this team is going to go anywhere. Three of these guys have to average double figures (or two of them around 15) for this team to be even remotely competitive, although the more they can get from them the better. PG appears to be a major sore spot for this team, and although there is depth the interior isn't all that strong either. Pruitt may be a solid post player, but unless Carlwell can produce better than Pruitt this year, bigger teams should be able to take advantage of them. This definitely looks like it will be a down year.

2007- Frazier at PG, Smith, Gordon, and Randle combo on wings, Pruitt and Carlwell up front. Odd man out of wings, Brock, Jackson, Semrau, Cole and Tisdale (if they don't redshirt) off the bench.

There is definitely some hope for this team. Hopefully by now Smith, Randle and Pruitt are proven double figure scorers, although that is by no means a guarantee. Gordon has the potential to have an impact either starting or off the bench. If Carlwell or one of the current younger players can become another solid post player, all the better, although I wouldn't count on it. As of right now, PG still seems to be a weak link for this team. That can all change if Rose or another impact PG signs. They will depend on some young players like Carlwell, Gordon, and Rose to be fairly solid players, meaning I wouldn't expect a deep tourney run. Looks like anywhere from a 4-9 seed in the tourney depending on what happens with some of these players.

2008- Smith, Frazier, Jackson, and Brock return from the 2005 roster as seniors. Carlwell and Semrau will be juniors. Gordon, Cole, Tisdale, and any other 2007 signees will be sophmores. 2008 class to be determined.

Obviously there is still a lot that is unsettled for this team. The group of upper-classmen is unsettled, another result of some lackluster recruiting. Smith should definitely be a solid scorer by now, at least if he hasn't entered the draft. Illini fans hope that Carlwell will be one of the more effective big men around by know, although that's a lot of speculation. It's very difficult to project what Frazier, Jackson, Brock, and Semrau will do at this point, although I hardly see stardom for any of them. Cole and Tisdale will probably still be acclimating to the Big Ten. Gordon and Rose (or whatever other recruits) will probably be coming into their own as long as none of them are a one-and-done type player. This could be a fairly solid team if Smith becomes a top-flight scorer, Carlwell at least plays like Augustine by this point, and Gordon and whatever top level recruit signs should be establishing themselves. However, there are a whole lot of unknowns, and the team could really use another solid upper-classmen.

My final conclusion is that it's crucial that Weber adds at least one more major recruit if they want to continue to be a factor in the next few years. Adding another major recruit for the 2006 season would go a long way, and as would adding another top 50 player or two from the 2007 class. Otherwise, the lack of quality talent coming in the last couple of years can stall Illinois ascent to elite status.

Sam Young (Offensive Tackle) is going to Notre Dame. A great get for ND, 5star O-Lineman that tops off an already impressive o-line class. O-line is very thin at ND, and this class was defintely needed. Wegner, Webb, Carufel, Olsen, Stewart, and Young should all be quality lineman in the years to come.

QUOTE(Fotop @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 10:24 PM)
Sam Young (Offensive Tackle) is going to Notre Dame. A great get for ND, 5star O-Lineman that tops off an already impressive o-line class. O-line is very thin at ND, and this class was defintely needed. Wegner, Webb, Carufel, Olsen, Stewart, and Young should all be quality lineman in the years to come.

Would have liked to see him end up at Michigan. Now on to Schilling. They really needed to land one of those two.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 01:16 AM)
Oden looks unstopable. I can't wait to (hopefully) watch my school take on Lawerance North in the state championship.

oden is a beast. i mean, what can really be said about him that hasn't already been said. he finished with 33 points, 16 boards and five blocks. he is dominant and will be a stud for osu and then whatever team is lucky enough to have the no. 1 pick in 2007.

conley is a nice player. not flashy, but solid. he had 16 points and six boards. had a nice play where he broke the press, drove the length of the court and drove right in for a basket. he will contribute at osu, but he isn't going to come in and start in front of jamar butler, and butler will be there for two more years after this year.

and eric gordon is a total stud. i haven't commented on him too much in the past because i hadn't seen him play, but he was impressive tonight. 27 points, more than seven boards and one of the nastiest shot blocks you'll see a guard have. gordon has great hops, can score in a lot of ways and i thought played pretty good defense. i also like his demeanor and the fact he plays fearless. it was just one game, but if this is an indication of what he can do, illinois potentially has a great one.

reports out there are that illinois has received a commitment from 6-4 swingman leon freeman, the leading candidate for player of the year in michigan.

freeman is a four-star recruit known for his scoring ability. he was also offered by michigan state, michigan, ohio state and purdue. freeman does have some academic issues, although there is some debate how serious they are.

here is freeman's scout.com profile: leon freeman

here is the link from a rivals board that noted his commitment: leon freeman to illinois

there is no story up yet, but that thread was linked on illinois's rivals board. the guy who started the thread is one of the writers for that board.

edit: freeman joins the 2006 class along with brian carlwell and richard semrau. this likely ends illinois's interest in marshall guard patrick beverley.

Edited by thedoctor

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 06:37 PM)
reports out there are that illinois has received a commitment from 6-4 swingman leon freeman, the leading candidate for player of the year in michigan.

freeman is a four-star recruit known for his scoring ability. he was also offered by michigan state, michigan, ohio state and purdue. freeman does have some academic issues, although there is some debate how serious they are.

here is freeman's scout.com profile: leon freeman

here is the link from a rivals board that noted his commitment: leon freeman to illinois

there is no story up yet, but that thread was linked on illinois's rivals board. the guy who started the thread is one of the writers for that board.

edit: freeman joins the 2006 class along with brian carlwell and richard semrau. this likely ends illinois's interest in marshall guard patrick beverley.

above is the link to the rivals mention that started this.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 06:58 PM)
Sorry didn't even think to check the previous page to see if it had been posted.

no worries man. i actually just meant to post the link, not the whole thing.

this would be a good get, because illinois does not have a player similar to freeman right now. it's difficult to tell how good he is, though, because there are a ton of discrepancies in his ratings on various sites. scout has him as a four-star recruit and the 10th best shooting guard prospect in the nation. rivals had him as a three-star and at 147 overall, but that list was last updated last august.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 01:03 PM)
it's difficult to tell how good he is, though, because there are a ton of discrepancies in his ratings on various sites. scout has him as a four-star recruit and the 10th best shooting guard prospect in the nation. rivals had him as a three-star and at 147 overall, but that list was last updated last august.

The thing is that a lot of observers in Michigan think he is the best player in the 06 class which includes guys like Ramar Smith, Deshawn Sims, and Tom Herzog who are all highly rated recruits. Getting a guy who might win Mr. Basketball in the state of Michigan is almost always a good thing.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 07:09 PM)
The thing is that a lot of observers in Michigan think he is the best player in the 06 class which includes guys like Ramar Smith, Deshawn Sims, and Tom Herzog who are all highly rated recruits.  Getting a guy who might win Mr. Basketball in the state of Michigan is almost always a good thing.

no doubt.