Recruiting Thread

ok, let me get this straight. if i'm going to be considered an illini fan on this board i must follow all illinois-related threads/topics and register my opinion on every matter of illinois importance. if i fail to respond to a certain topic, it will be generally accepted that my unstated opinion will fall in line with the prevailing wisdom of "illinois fans."

No I dont believe I said that at all. I never said anything about being an Illini fan must follow all related threads.

I said that if you have a problem with what your fellow Illini fans are saying, and if you are going to get upset about some one calling them out, then please make sure that you state your own opinion.

From what I have seen though this does not apply to you.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 06:31 PM)
No I dont believe I said that at all. I never said anything about being an Illini fan must follow all related threads.

I said that if you have a problem with what your fellow Illini fans are saying, and if you are going to get upset about some one calling them out, then please make sure that you state your own opinion.

From what I have seen though this does not apply to you.

well, fwiw, i didn't think brewster would leave. honestly i didn't even know it was debated here. it seemed like more of an illini-centric idea that wouldn't show up here.

oh well. nevermind then. carry on.

Dr,

Np.

I really respect and like your posts so I hope that you dont take any ill-will from this.

I just felt that when this was first discussed that most Illini fans were acting as if it was the craziest idea ever to believe a son would follow his dad. While I felt that part of the reason the Gophers took Brewster as the coach was that there was a wink-nod agreement that his sons would be coming with.

Otherwise the hiring is just fascinatingly bland. When the Minnesota job opened names like Tony Dungy were being floated as the replacement (yeah right) but still it shows the calibre of expected coach. Instead they went with a guy with 0 head coaching experience who was in the NFL, with little to no connection to Minnesota.

A shocking display like that usually is followed with news of a recruit swapping choices.

Atleast thats why I thought what I did.

And I dont think its that huge of a loss for Illinois. While Brewster is a quality qb, Juice is young and if Illinois really starts to perform that spot could be filled by a better qb next year.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 06:58 PM)
Dr,

Np.

I really respect and like your posts so I hope that you dont take any ill-will from this.

I just felt that when this was first discussed that most Illini fans were acting as if it was the craziest idea ever to believe a son would follow his dad. While I felt that part of the reason the Gophers took Brewster as the coach was that there was a wink-nod agreement that his sons would be coming with.

Otherwise the hiring is just fascinatingly bland. When the Minnesota job opened names like Tony Dungy were being floated as the replacement (yeah right) but still it shows the calibre of expected coach. Instead they went with a guy with 0 head coaching experience who was in the NFL, with little to no connection to Minnesota.

A shocking display like that usually is followed with news of a recruit swapping choices.

Atleast thats why I thought what I did.

And I dont think its that huge of a loss for Illinois. While Brewster is a quality qb, Juice is young and if Illinois really starts to perform that spot could be filled by a better qb next year.

thanks for the kind words. brewster would have been nice, but i'd agree that it wasn't a huge area of emphasis this year. again, you can't blame a kid for wanting to play for his pops.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 12:58 PM)

Is that some sort of Illinois crack?

[thread]

Hey...did everyone know signing day is tomorrow?

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 02:45 PM)
[thread]

Hey...did everyone know signing day is tomorrow?

Yessir, I'll be in Doak all day as soon as I get out of class. Hope to see the coaches happy, but I'm not feeling too good about our chances with Austin.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 04:18 PM)
until you let Zook ruin the talent.

Am I the only one getting sick of his posts?

Anyhow, that last comment. Even if Zook dosnt get the most out of that talent the only direction that program can go is up. The talent hes bringing in is phenomenol. They may not all pan out, but if he gets more depth this program can move its way up through the ranks. I really think within the next 2 years Illinois and Indiana will both be 2 programs to watch out for with Zook and Hep bringing in this talent.

i'll be interested to see what zook does with the talent. his spin has always been that he hasn't had a chance to coach his players when they reached maturity. at illinois he'll probably get his chance, so we'll see how he does.

either way they need to win more games this year. if they don't at least threaten a bowl appearance i think the program will be a harder sell to recruits next offseason.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 03:42 PM)
i'll be interested to see what zook does with the talent. his spin has always been that he hasn't had a chance to coach his players when they reached maturity. at illinois he'll probably get his chance, so we'll see how he does.

either way they need to win more games this year. if they don't at least threaten a bowl appearance i think the program will be a harder sell to recruits next offseason.

It's almost to the point of bowl or bust, but i guess i won't go that far yet. Either way, this year better be a lot better than the last two. They need to start competing for an entire 60 minutes each and every game, that's what I want to see. They should have the talent to do so now, and Juice has a year under his belt (though i'm still REALLY suspect of his passing ability).

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 04:49 PM)
If you are going to label an argument "retarded" you should atleast list some reasons why it is such.

Atleast in my opinion it should have been easier to win at Florida an established program, versus Illinois.

Ok then.

Florida has some of the most talent in the US for football, and coming off a national championship with Spurrier they are of course going to pull in some talent. Zook was expected to pull in talent and compete FAST! He did one of the two, thats not good enough at Florida. Illinois is not Florida. He is pulling in the talent and once he starts getting some depth ILL should be a pretty good football program, but nowhere near the expectations of Florida.

I'd say I'm an ILL basher, ask WHarris and Krush, but some of you are beyond pathetic.

USC and Florida have seperated themselves from the pack with quite possibly the best two classes on paper in history. Teams like Texas, Notre Dame, Tenn, LSU etc have pulled in great classes as well. UNC and Illinois will probably be the suprise teams in the rankings this year. Oklahoma really has taken a hit in this years class, as they didn't have many scholarships, but their star level isn't as high as in the past either.

If Illinois can consistently be 8-4, 8-5 with mid-size bowl games, that'll add a couple years onto Zook's contract.

If Illinois can then compete for the Capital One Bowl, that'll make Zook a savior.

Illinois has a lot of football history. Grange, Butkus, Grabowski, Nitschke, Rice, Howard, one of the first schools with homecoming, Dad's Day, certain band things...

I know winning trumps all, but if they can start winning and Zook is not using reviving Illinois as a jumping off point, I think the Illini can at least get to the level of Wisconsin and Iowa....

Probably not Michigan or Ohio State, but they might sneak a Big Ten championship here and there.

But first things first...Alamo, Sun, one of those bowls would be FANTASTIC!!!