Recruiting Thread

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 10:24 PM)
He called out a couple of kids who decommitted from Notre Dame. Yet at the same time he had no problem recruiting kids who were committed to other schools.

Eh, happens all the time. I doubt this is going to cause any major problems. :canada

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 07:21 PM)
I'm an ND fan, but wow is Weis ever talking out of both sides of his mouth/wants to have his cake and eat it too when it comes to recruiting. He's gonna get torched for this, and rightly so.

I'm a huge ND fan too but Weis is a f***ing prick when it comes to recruiting. The guy knows no limits when it comes to going after guys that have already comitted. He went as far as saying telling guys that had recruited to Iowa that..."commitment is just a word" (making it sound like nothing at all).

Real freaking brilliant. Its the problem with pro coaches that go to college (and Carrol is 10 times worse than Weis when it comes to going after guys that have signed with other schools) they haven't been around the recruiting and as such they just don't give a s*** and have no respect.

It freaking sucks. Luckily aside from Smith (who had a dream of playing at ND but wasn't originally recruited by them) none of my Hawkeyes bought into the crap Weis was spewing. And Smith will probably regret the whole ND thing, ND gets a lot of play on TV (and they are one of my 2 favorite programs) but they haven't had near the success as Iowa has the past few years at getting guys to succeed in the NFL (Greenway was hurt but 1st round pick, Abdul Hodge did great for the Packers, Steinbach, Gallery a high pick albeit has not lived up to his hype, Bob Sanders, Dallas Clark and we have a few DT's and DE's in the league as well.

I can't think of ND having many pro guys with success as of late. Albeit I think that will change with the offensive set but on the defensive side of the Ball that has yet to be proven.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 09:08 PM)
The number of 4 star players on both sites are about the same, but Rivals gives out about half as many 5 star ratings. But both sites can REALLY differ on players, one can be a 2 star on Scout and a 4 star on Rivals, etc.

That's interesting. I just looked at WR and it seemed scout.com's list of 4-stars went on forever.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 10:57 PM)
I'm a huge ND fan too but Weis is a f***ing prick when it comes to recruiting. The guy knows no limits when it comes to going after guys that have already comitted. He went as far as saying telling guys that had recruited to Iowa that..."commitment is just a word" (making it sound like nothing at all).

Real freaking brilliant. Its the problem with pro coaches that go to college (and Carrol is 10 times worse than Weis when it comes to going after guys that have signed with other schools) they haven't been around the recruiting and as such they just don't give a s*** and have no respect.

From what I understand, Tim Brewster has been doing the same, but I have no problem with it. He's in a situation where to get the top prospects, he needs to recruit them to no end, regardless of how they stand.

QUOTE(Felix @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 09:24 PM)
From what I understand, Tim Brewster has been doing the same, but I have no problem with it. He's in a situation where to get the top prospects, he needs to recruit them to no end, regardless of how they stand.

Brewster is in a bit different of a situation though but still I just am not a fan of it and I realize some programs do it but why not do it like Ferentz does where you don't actively go after him, however, if the player approaches you than you consider it fair game.

Ferentz has also been known to tell his guys to make sure they are ready to committ. But Kirk is real classy and of course I'm biased (that said you already saw me slam the coach of my other team).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 11:35 PM)
Brewster is in a bit different of a situation though but still I just am not a fan of it and I realize some programs do it but why not do it like Ferentz does where you don't actively go after him, however, if the player approaches you than you consider it fair game.

Because then, if you aren't a big name or from a big name school, you won't get any big prospects. By approaching everyone, you are spreading more seeds (figuratively of course :P), and the more seeds you spread, the more trees you are likely to have.

QUOTE(Felix @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 09:43 PM)
Because then, if you aren't a big name or from a big name school, you won't get any big prospects. By approaching everyone, you are spreading more seeds (figuratively of course :P), and the more seeds you spread, the more trees you are likely to have.

You can approach everyone, its not like guys commit after one day. Its just after a guy commits you should respect it. Obviously there are guys that waver on there commitment and that is there right but I don't think you should have guys whispering in there ear (at least collegiate coaches) telling them to dump the commit and join your program.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 11:53 PM)
You can approach everyone, its not like guys commit after one day. Its just after a guy commits you should respect it. Obviously there are guys that waver on there commitment and that is there right but I don't think you should have guys whispering in there ear (at least collegiate coaches) telling them to dump the commit and join your program.

I think that these coaches respect their commitment, and simply give the recruits something to think about. For example, say that player A commits to Iowa, but Brewster/whomever comes up and says "Iowa is a good school.. but think about this:", and lists the reasons why that player should come to Minnesota/wherever. I don't know if this is exactly what happens, I'm not well versed in this sort of thing, but is that so wrong?

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(Felix @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 11:58 PM)
I think that these coaches respect their commitment, and simply give the recruits something to think about. For example, say that player A commits to Iowa, but Brewster/whomever comes up and says "Iowa is a good school.. but think about this:", and lists the reasons why that player should come to Minnesota/wherever. I don't know if this is exactly what happens, I'm not well versed in this sort of thing, but is that so wrong?

The problem is I don't think coaches who do this do it in that sort of manner. I think a lot of football recruiting in this situation is negative recruiting.

"You don't want to go to Iowa, Ferentz is leaving next year"

I know Illinios lost recruits to other Big Ten schools in recent years due to negative recruiting.

Football recruiting seems a lot more cut throat and a lot less honorable than bball recruiting. Of course, the NCAA should just rework the whole recruiting process, and let guys sign earlier, not just a certain date. Then you'll know if guys are committed.

Well since the Waddler specifically hired his D coordinator to try and stop losing to Illinois, sent 7 assistants (yes, 7, since that's the most you can send) to try and convince Martez to go to ND after he verballed to the Illini, got his 2 best defensive recruits and kicker after they verballed to other schools, and started a national campaign to say Illinois is cheating, despite not even any evidence, let alone proof, that they are.....I'd say Weis is a moron. Hell, he was unhappy he lost Little, who originally verballed to Florida State on NBC. Just amazing what a prick he is, I never understood why everybody hated ND until now.

If Weis has a problem, maybe he should win a big game (his signature performance was A LOSS to USC in 2005 since it was so close), or end his schools unprecedented bowl losing streak, or quit getting pistol whipped in the most important games in college football, BCS, or either get defensive recruits OR have a defense at all period in games.

Weis has had a major bone to pick with my team of choice, SCar, for quite some time. He feels he should have been offered the job there a while back, and is slighted about it even still.

Gary Gray was a huge early commit for us, he was working the phones by his own choice, getting other top state talent to "Come do whats never been done before here" as he was saying. Weis was relentless on the pursuit of Gray, and in the end, wooed him over by going straight to Gray's mom, talking up the wonderful ND education potential. Gray isn't the first SCar commit/potential commit that has been called upon repeatedly by Weis either. I hate this type of recruiting.

i think you need to make a distinction between football and basketball recruiting. a lot of what goes on in football doesn't in basketball, so it's hard to compare the two.

my biggest problem with weis was his hypocrisy. to stand up there on signing day and lambast kids for not remaining committed when he was trying his best to get kids to de-commit was ridiculous. he b****ed about benn being a silent verbal and changing his mind, when he experienced the exact same thing with robert hughes who was a silent verbal to illinois and changed his mind later. that stuff happens in college football and i wish charlie would shut his yap about it and be consistent instead of talking out of both sides of his mouth.

as far as the zook new york times thing goes, illinois just keeps getting more positive fall-out from it. a good article about it was in the orlando sentinel today: bianchi

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 03:33 PM)
Nobody accused Indiana of cheating.

As a matter of a fact I remember seeing someone on here had a quote from Deron Williams about there not being any reason why they wouldn't choose Ill, oh wait there is one reason... or something to that effect.

EDIT:Never mind I found it again

"There's absolutely no good reason (for Gordon) to choose Indiana over Illinois," Dee Brown said. "None."

Sitting next to him in the visitor's locker room at Minnesota's Target Center, Deron Williams said: "Oh, there could be a reason."

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 11:31 AM)
As a matter of a fact I remember seeing someone on here had a quote from Deron Williams about there not being any reason why they wouldn't choose Ill, oh wait there is one reason... or something to that effect.

EDIT:Never mind I found it again

"There's absolutely no good reason (for Gordon) to choose Indiana over Illinois," Dee Brown said. "None."

Sitting next to him in the visitor's locker room at Minnesota's Target Center, Deron Williams said: "Oh, there could be a reason."

I know that's WS101's sig, and judging by his posts on here, and his using of that sig, I feel it's more of a knock on Bruce than anything else. At least that's the way I interpret it.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 09:33 PM)
Nobody accused Indiana of cheating.

speaking for myself, i never thought sampson was cheating during the gordon thing. i thought, as was echoed by some other coaches and the league commissioner, that some questionable ethical things happened, but i think indiana's recruitment of gordon went down entirely within ncaa rules.

and while i'm mentioning indiana, let me say i thought what finch did to you guys was really bogus.

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 06:49 AM)
USC is in trouble again. Now they are checking out if Bush called McKnight.

In his recruiting call, Mcknight said that Bush and Carroll were on the phone with him and thats what convinced him. Carrol is now denying it happened.

USC is so dirty under Pete and now maybe finally things will come crushing down on them.

It seems pretty apparent that Mcknight talked to Bush.

The story first was: I talked to Bush.

Then it was: Oh I just overheard them talking on speakerphone while I was in another room.

(Then when he found out that was a violation also).

Oh what I really meant was that Bush and Pete talked on a completely seperate occassion and that Pete just happened to mention it. And then I accidentally said I talked to Reggie when I meant that pete has talked to reggie.

Sounds really convincing, my guess is that the NCAA does nothing.

USC going down would make the Pac-10 barely a BCS conference.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 11:09 AM)
I know that's WS101's sig, and judging by his posts on here, and his using of that sig, I feel it's more of a knock on Bruce than anything else. At least that's the way I interpret it.

That is correct. It is part knock on Bruce and part I love Deron and Dee as much as another man can. I don't accuse Indiana of cheating at all in the Gordon thing, the only person I blame AT ALL in it besides Bruce is Gordon A LITTLE, because he ditched Illinois very late in the process. Bruce still should have had a backup plan though, it was obvious Gordon was gone for a while, and Darquavis Tucker could have been had.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 01:08 PM)
That is correct. It is part knock on Bruce and part I love Deron and Dee as much as another man can. I don't accuse Indiana of cheating at all in the Gordon thing, the only person I blame AT ALL in it besides Bruce is Gordon A LITTLE, because he ditched Illinois very late in the process. Bruce still should have had a backup plan though, it was obvious Gordon was gone for a while, and Darquavis Tucker could have been had.

Are you serious? You're the one that said Gordon was committed until the night before. LMAO.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 09:09 AM)
or Zook just cheats..but who doesnt these days. Fact is, he did a helluva job and the media does not like the new kid on the block getting some much deseved cred.

EVERYONE does something under the table. I think people are blind if they dont see that. USC is one of the biggest proven violators and they get the front page of ESPN.com. My team, Ohio State, has had multiple accusations of under the table money, jobs, and yet they are allowed to police themselves and end up in the National Title game. At my school, Miami U, there was plenty of this going on, and nobody makes a fuss.

Fact is, if you are dumb enough to get caught like Colorado etc, then you should be punished, but at this point, some of these activities are happening everywhere, making a stink about it is just redundant. In fact i think that college athletes, with the money they bring their schools, are grossly underpaid and compensated for their contributions anyway.

Oh, and with the risk of being called sour grapes, ND hater etc. While I have been traveling in SoCal the last few weeks, ALOT of people down here say that Claussen is very soft and overrated. Just relaying those comments, i know nothing about the kid.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 01:12 PM)
Are you serious? You're the one that said Gordon was committed until the night before. LMAO.

That is what the coaches thought, and thus what I thought, at the time. Last time I trust what the coaches think though, that's for sure. My post just now was in retrospect as to what ACTUALLY happened.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 01:31 PM)
Oh, and with the risk of being called sour grapes, ND hater etc. While I have been traveling in SoCal the last few weeks, ALOT of people down here say that Claussen is very soft and overrated. Just relaying those comments, i know nothing about the kid.

He was playing competition the equivilent of 2a or 3a class football here in Illinois out in Cali. That is a concern regardless of what you think of the kid (and I agree he is overrated, but that's only based on seeing him on TV 3 times).

Bruce still should have had a backup plan though, it was obvious Gordon was gone for a while, and Darquavis Tucker could have been had.

Maybe, but probably not. I commend Coach Wainwright on his ability to recruit so far and how he's gone about forming and building relationships to do so. He did well in continuing that Michigan pipeline to get Dar Tucker and the Boys to Men relationship for Mac Koshwal and possibly Leon Freeman in the near future.

Would you have a backup plan if someone said they are coming to your school? What if that player finds out and thinks, "Ah, they don't trust me...if they did, they wouldn't have a backup plan."

Gordon isn't to blame. Gordon's family is more to blame. If you want to re-open recruiting, then re-open it. I'm sure Bruce would rather have the chance to re-recruit someone than to be left believing he still had that player, all the while that player is checking out other schools. Again, it's a fine line. Bruce has to trust the player...and the player has to trust the coaching staff.