Recruiting Thread

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 01:52 PM)
i think you need to make a distinction between football and basketball recruiting. a lot of what goes on in football doesn't in basketball, so it's hard to compare the two.

my biggest problem with weis was his hypocrisy. to stand up there on signing day and lambast kids for not remaining committed when he was trying his best to get kids to de-commit was ridiculous. he b****ed about benn being a silent verbal and changing his mind, when he experienced the exact same thing with robert hughes who was a silent verbal to illinois and changed his mind later. that stuff happens in college football and i wish charlie would shut his yap about it and be consistent instead of talking out of both sides of his mouth.

as far as the zook new york times thing goes, illinois just keeps getting more positive fall-out from it. a good article about it was in the orlando sentinel today: bianchi

I am just curious, where did you hear that Hughes was a silent to Illinois? I haven't seen anything on that, although I am certainly not saying that it isn't true.

I am obviously a huge ND fan, but Weis doesn't have much room to talk. He got just as many committed players to change their commitment to ND(Gray, Smith, Walker) as he lost(Trattou, GLittle, and CLittle). Unfortunately, that is the way the recruiting game is played today. If he doesn't like it, than he should lead by example.

In regards to Gordon, I think that situation is a little different. Any time you have a coaching change, either the school that the player is committed to or a school that he was strongly considering, I see no problem in reconsidering your commitment. A player commits to both the school and the coach IMO. Like I have stated before, the only issue I have with the Gordon situation is the fact that he didn't publicly decommit from Illinois. I don't think there was anything illegal or against the rules with the Gordon recruitment. Simple a kid from Indiana wanting to go to IU after they hired a coach that he liked.

In regards to Zook, I think it is partially sore loser syndrome. ND is reportedly one of the schools that feel that Zook has cheated, but I think that is really only because they lost Benn and Wilson. People might have to accept that Zook might simple be a great people person and relates well to recruits. Furthermore, sometimes kids want to stay close to home or go to a school with a lot of kids from a similar area(DC for example). Also, when you have a bad record that usually means that there is instant PT available and that can be a big selling point. Go to a powerhouse and wait 2-3 years before you see the field or go to a non-powerhouse and start from day 1. Unless there is hard evidence against Zook I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesox61382 @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 10:14 PM)
I am just curious, where did you hear that Hughes was a silent to Illinois? I haven't seen anything on that, although I am certainly not saying that it isn't true.

it was in teddy greenstein's story in the trib today.

It is believed Hughes gave Illinois a "silent" commitment before settling on Notre Dame.

Zook wouldn't confirm that but did say of Weis, "One of those kids that committed to him committed to me before he committed to him. Do I cry about that?"

chicagosports.com

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 10:02 PM)
Wasnt Ohio States basketball program suspended or something just not 2 long ago?

Yeah but he's talking about the whole Maurice Clarett issue with the football team. He means that those football programs are never punished.

QUOTE(zenryan @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 09:04 PM)
it's a shame the NCAA wont do anything to USC. the NCAA likes to protect teams like USC and Ohio Sate and every other big time program since there isnt a D1 team out there that follows the rules.

fixed

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 10:02 PM)
Wasnt Ohio States basketball program suspended or something just not 2 long ago?

Yes, actually right when Matta came in. They lost several scholarships dude to bad recruiting and treatment of the players.

it's a shame the NCAA wont do anything to USC. the NCAA likes to protect teams like USC and Ohio Sate and every other big time program since there isnt a D1 team out there that follows the rules.

trying tell that to Alabama and Miami.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 10:52 PM)
Here is an article on junior Kyle Kuric, a 6-4 guard from Evansville Memorial HS (my alma mater). He's currently being recruited by Purdue, Indiana, Southern Illinois, Evansville and Butler, among others.

Tigers Kuric has passion for game

He's been at two of our games, definitely someone we're looking hard at. With our 3 verbals we only have one scholarship left though for 08, so we'll see what happens.

I saw Carlton Fay play 3 times during a tournament up here near NIU (it was during break, but I made the short drive from home in Aurora to see it). He is really, really good, typical mid major big man and you guys will love him down there. He even has decent range on the jumper too.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 06:08 PM)
I saw Carlton Fay play 3 times during a tournament up here near NIU (it was during break, but I made the short drive from home in Aurora to see it). He is really, really good, typical mid major big man and you guys will love him down there. He even has decent range on the jumper too.

We're certainly excited about him.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 03:41 PM)
Verdell Jones from Champaign could be the next illinois player to head to Kansas.

very good possibility. his father and self were very close when self was at illinois.

as of now though verdell has offers from neither illinois nor kansas. illinois does have an offer out to 08 point guard lewis jackson, although there is a lot of debate over whether he or jackson are better players.

another factor in this could be where champaign football player mikel leshoure (a highly touted running back) decides to go. he and little v are close and play hoops together.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 09:59 AM)
very good possibility. his father and self were very close when self was at illinois.

as of now though verdell has offers from neither illinois nor kansas. illinois does have an offer out to 08 point guard lewis jackson, although there is a lot of debate over whether he or jackson are better players.

another factor in this could be where champaign football player mikel leshoure (a highly touted running back) decides to go. he and little v are close and play hoops together.

Cool thanks for the update.

Verdell already took an unofficial to Rock Chalk Land.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 05:05 PM)
If Self wants him, Self can have him.

i'd agree with this. verdell's father is a prominent aau coach in central illinois and he and self had a great working relationship. most scuttlebutt on illinois boards suggest that if kansas offers, that is where verdell will go.

from what i've read verdell is a very talented player, more of a pure point guard than a scoring point so he's a bit different than sherron. he is very slight, however, and some people are scared off. as of now he's a three-star, but he could move up with a strong summer. no doubt he'll get the chance consider his dad is his summer coach.

on a different note, great story in the sun-times today on illinois running back recruit deries hodge. hodge was only a two-star recruit and was under the radar because he attended four different high schools in four years.

lemming is quoted in the story and said he did not learn about hodge until really late in the process. he said if he had to rate him now he'd place him among the top-10 running back recruits in the country. he also said hodge is illinois's third-best recruit after benn and wilson.

deries hodge