Recruiting Thread

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 04:01 PM)
Angel was AMAZING in high school. I remember being 100% certain he would be big-time. Looks like he still has a chance to be just that.

Dominating the high school game and dominating the college game are two very different things. What about his pedestrian junior college numbers make you think he could still be "big-time?"

Just asking.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 09:52 PM)
Dominating the high school game and dominating the college game are two very different things. What about his pedestrian junior college numbers make you think he could still be "big-time?"

Just asking.

I said he has a chance to be that. Basing this on that there are apparently major D1 programs recruiting him. I have no idea on how he has progressed/regressed in JUCO.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 03:52 PM)

Just asking.

My thought would be that he's just disinterested in the JuCo scene.

I finally got to see Eric Gordon play yesterday and all I can say is he's really good. No I mean, really really good. Like the kind of good that has you calling people on your cellphone after he makes another play that you just shake your head at. No really, in case I didn't make it clear yet, he's that good.

In the first quarter of the game, he scored 21 points. He went to the basket, he hit 4 NBA range three's, he played great D. He finished the game with 39 points, his team marched on to the state championship game.

He finished shooting 13 of 20 from the field and 8 of 8 from the foul line. If I had any doubt that this kid could just step in at IU and average 20 a game next season, it was erased yesterday. He can go right, he can go left, he can jab step and nail the three, he can do just about everything. He already has an NBA body and he already has an arsenal of moves that are just plain ridiculous.

Here's a clip I uploaded this morning from the game. He was called for a charge on this, but it's still an amazing play. Anyhow, he came straight back and nailed a three afterwards.

I saw bits and pieces of that first half in-between tourney games. He was looking great. My buddy ended up going to the game, and he feels he exceeded all expectations of what he thought he was capable of. I'm excited for next year.

A couple friends and I are talking of possibly going to the state game on Saturday night.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Mar 18, 2007 -> 09:45 AM)
I saw bits and pieces of that first half in-between tourney games. He was looking great. My buddy ended up going to the game, and he feels he exceeded all expectations of what he thought he was capable of. I'm excited for next year.

A couple friends and I are talking of possibly going to the state game on Saturday night.

I'll be there Saturday night for sure.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Mar 18, 2007 -> 08:48 AM)
I'll be there Saturday night for sure.

Maybe I'll see you two there, because I won't miss that for the world. If I recall, last time he faced East Chicago he put up 50 points. I'm sure watching this kid eases the loss from last night, because it sure does for me.

Hey guys, be sure to check out Angel Garcia from East Chicago Central also if you go. He is on IU's radar for the 2008 class and has mentioned IU prominently.

Also, if you catch the 3A game, let me know what you think of Evansville Bosse. They have two mid-level D-I prospects in Cardell McFarland and Matt Lander. I'm curious to know what you guys think.

Thanks and enjoy!

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 18, 2007 -> 12:34 PM)
Hey guys, be sure to check out Angel Garcia from East Chicago Central also if you go. He is on IU's radar for the 2008 class and has mentioned IU prominently.

Also, if you catch the 3A game, let me know what you think of Evansville Bosse. They have two mid-level D-I prospects in Cardell McFarland and Matt Lander. I'm curious to know what you guys think.

Thanks and enjoy!

Spoke to a couple people in the know and Garcia wants to go to IU, but IU has other guys they are targeting ahead of him at this point. Phillip Jurick from Tennessee most notably who has IU and Tenn listed as co-leaders. I also spoke to someone who feels that Garcia is very raw and is slightly overrated by Rivals.

Kyle Kuric, a junior from Evansville Memorial, is now getting major interest from IU. He's holding offers from Southern Illinois, Butler, Central Michigan, Evansville and Indiana State. IU and Purdue have yet to offer, but I've also heard that he is going to wait for an IU offer as long as he can because he really likes the Hoosiers. Both parents went to IU and word is Mom really wants him to go there.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Mar 18, 2007 -> 12:09 PM)
Spoke to a couple people in the know and Garcia wants to go to IU, but IU has other guys they are targeting ahead of him at this point. Phillip Jurick from Tennessee most notably who has IU and Tenn listed as co-leaders. I also spoke to someone who feels that Garcia is very raw and is slightly overrated by Rivals.

Kyle Kuric, a junior from Evansville Memorial, is now getting major interest from IU. He's holding offers from Southern Illinois, Butler, Central Michigan, Evansville and Indiana State. IU and Purdue have yet to offer, but I've also heard that he is going to wait for an IU offer as long as he can because he really likes the Hoosiers. Both parents went to IU and word is Mom really wants him to go there.

Memorial is my alma mater. I'd love to see him go to IU and if not, then Evansville would be a nice choice. I'm not sure how much interest he had in UE up to this point, but with the coaching change and Marty Simmons coming in, I would hope he'd have renewed interest in staying home should IU not be the right choice. I have not seen him, but have heard good things.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 09:01 PM)
Angel was AMAZING in high school. I remember being 100% certain he would be big-time. Looks like he still has a chance to be just that.

Do you feel confident about bringing him into the program with his previous behavior issues? I'm not so sure Weber can bring in any "high risk" recruits right now.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 18, 2007 -> 07:19 PM)
Do you feel confident about bringing him into the program with his previous behavior issues? I'm not so sure Weber can bring in any "high risk" recruits right now.

The only thing Weber can afford less in terms of perception overall than another low character recruit is another low talent recruit. Santiago would probably be the best raw talent he's brought in, and all things i've heard are he's got his ish together recently, plus Illinois desperately needs a guard that can shoot and create.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 07:23 AM)
The only thing Weber can afford less in terms of perception overall than another low character recruit is another low talent recruit. Santiago would probably be the best raw talent he's brought in, and all things i've heard are he's got his ish together recently, plus Illinois desperately needs a guard that can shoot and create.

i'd agree with this. as sketchy as some of the things in santiago's past have been, i think the final scholly spot this year has to go to someone who can conceivably provide immediate help at guard. santiago is the only one mentioned as a candidate for that spot who could do that. this is a chance weber may have to take as a hedge against his previous misses.

Not sure if this was posted already, but you GOTTA love OJ Mayo :ph34r:

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A stranger walked into the University of Southern California basketball office one day last summer and asked to speak to the head coach. The stranger did not make an appointment. He did not call ahead. Tim Floyd, the U.S.C. head coach, cannot explain why he agreed to see him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

The mysterious man got right to the point. “How would you like to have the best player in the country?” he asked.

Floyd tried not to roll his eyes.

“Have you heard of O. J. Mayo?” the man asked.

Quote:

“O. J. wanted me to come here today,” the man told Floyd. “He wanted me to figure out who you are.”

Quote:

The man explained that Mayo wanted to market himself before going to the N.B.A., and that Los Angeles would give him the best possible platform.

Quote:

“Let me call him,” Floyd said.

The man shook his head again. “O. J. doesn’t give out his cell,” he said. “He’ll call you.”

Quote:

When Floyd answered the phone, he heard a teenager’s voice on the other end: “Coach, this is O. J. Mayo. I’d like to come to your school.”

Mayo had not been on an official campus visit. He had not seen the new arena, the Galen Center. He did not know anything about the current roster.

Quote:

Mayo went through the priority list in his mind. “Don’t worry about recruiting,” he said. “I’ll take care of it.”

Before Floyd hung up, he asked one more time for Mayo’s cellphone number. “No,” Mayo said. “I’ll call you.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/21/sports/n...amp;oref=slogin

OJ's final curtain call, classy as ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V9NaJtrncw

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 06:29 PM)
Hate him all you want, he'll be the best player in his class when it's all said and done.

How closely do you follow recruiting? Have you seen any of this class play? I've been following Mayo since he was in 6th grade, when his uncle opened up ojmayo.org to promote him and the circus began. Physically, Mayo peaked in about 9th grade. He started playing in high school games at Rose Hill Christian in a small town in Kentucky in the 7th grade. He's been ranked the No. 1 player in the class for several years, but now after watching most of these guys play, I'm fairly confident in saying that he's not the best player in his class. He plays absolutely no defense at all, he's got an awful attitude and he hasn't really improved at all for a couple of years now and his body hasn't improved at all for about 3 years now.

Whether or not he turns out to be the best player, who knows, but he's not on the right track from an off the court standpoint and he has horrible on the court habits that if not corrected, could make him the next Felipe Lopez. Out of the class as it currently sits, Singler, Beasley, Rose and Gordon are definitely better players at this point in time than Mayo and a good case can be made for Love as well.

DeAndre Thomas to Indiana:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/preps/2007/03/fo...yer_of_the.html

That back to back period of 2004 and 2005 with Brockand Thomas winning CPL POY was an all time low point for the city in terms of basketball. Thomas is a fat ass, too short for his postion, and has a horrible attitude, however this is a move that shows why Sampson gets it and Weber doesn't in recruiting. Thomas will only be at IU 2 years and ride the bench, but the fact IU even took him will build good feelings with the CPL, and help in the future for Indiana.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 05:29 PM)
That's great, lol. And I love OJ's final move. You only get to be a kid once, might as well use it all up.

Hate him all you want, he'll be the best player in his class when it's all said and done.

I agree with you on OJ's final move, but :lol: :lol: :lol: at him being the best player in his class. He peaked in about 10th grade, and is the 3rd best GUARD, at best, in this class. I think he'll be pretty good, but nowhere near the level his hype was once at.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 01:37 AM)
DeAndre Thomas to Indiana:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/preps/2007/03/fo...yer_of_the.html

That back to back period of 2004 and 2005 with Brockand Thomas winning CPL POY was an all time low point for the city in terms of basketball. Thomas is a fat ass, too short for his postion, and has a horrible attitude, however this is a move that shows why Sampson gets it and Weber doesn't in recruiting. Thomas will only be at IU 2 years and ride the bench, but the fact IU even took him will build good feelings with the CPL, and help in the future for Indiana.

I agree with you on OJ's final move, but :lol: :lol: :lol: at him being the best player in his class. He peaked in about 10th grade, and is the 3rd best GUARD, at best, in this class. I think he'll be pretty good, but nowhere near the level his hype was once at.

DeAndre was heavily pursued by KU and Mizzou, good pickup by IU.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 01:38 AM)
DeAndre was heavily pursued by KU and Mizzou, good pickup by IU.

KU never wanted him Jimbo, you know better than that (although your right about Misery). DeAndre might be the fattest, laziest, attitude issued, so called "high major prospect" I've ever seen play in person while he was in HS, and although I think based on the good will it'll build in the CPL alone it's a wise tactical move by Kelvin, it wouldn't surprise me if Thomas sucks his whole career at IU, but kills Illinois. That's just the luck/karma that squeaky has right now.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

That's great and all, but Thomas can't come to IU until another scholarship is open, which there aren't at this time.

The only way a scholarship opens up is if DJ goes pro (I'm hoping not), or someone transfers. There's been rumors about a couple of players during the season, but doesn't that happen everywhere? So I don't think this is completely official yet.

Latest I've heard is Shaw is going to leave or possibly Keeling. At this point I'm not sure why Shaw would leave since he already used a redshirt year, he'd automatically lose a year of eligibility.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 01:45 AM)
KU never wanted him Jimbo, you know better than that (although your right about Misery). DeAndre might be the fattest, laziest, attitude issued, so called "high major prospect" I've ever seen play in person while he was in HS, and although I think based on the good will it'll build in the CPL alone it's a wise tactical move by Kelvin, it wouldn't surprise me if Thomas sucks his whole career at IU, but kills Illinois. That's just the luck/karma that squeaky has right now.

I remember reading about him as a kid we were looking at.....KU is recruiting a kid similiar in size (J'Mison Morgan), but looks like not as screwed up.