Recruiting Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 02:40 PM)
DeAndre Thomas is awful.

This is based on what? From what I have seen he has pretty good feet for a big man. He has slimmed down some, with more to come. As much as Sampson preaches defense, there is no way he will be at IU completely out of shape.

For him to be effective at IU, he will need to rebound, defend space in the middle and have a soft touch from 4 feet in. Regardless of what his attitude may have been like two years ago, he'll be fine for a two-year player. IU could have used a guy like him this year. And, as greasy said, none of this matters unless someone leaves the program. I'm sure someone will but his status has not changed since October. Anyone that follows IU knew he was standing in line waiting for a ticket to Bloomington.

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 02:13 AM)
This is based on what?

He's a 6'6 center. He is lazy. He is still a fat slob no matter how many pounds he has shed. He isn't athletic. Is pretty terrible academically(Although qualified now, I guess). He verbally committs to a team with an already full roster. I just don't see how he is going to contribute in the Big Ten at all or why IU even wants him.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 01:13 PM)
HAHA, you've also seen him play more than once I assume :)

Not since high school, but I just can't see why someone would think his game translates into the Big Ten. If Tim Flowers couldn't get any major offers, DeAndre should be going to low D1 school.

“I’m still trying to mature as a captain so I can provide for my team,” said Thomas, who is considering Kansas, Illinois, Florida State and Miami.

looks like he really went downhill since high school.

“I’m still trying to mature as a captain so I can provide for my team,” said Thomas, who is considering Kansas, Illinois, Florida State and Miami.

looks like he really went downhill since high school.

The Kentucky HS State Championsip is tonight at 7:00 central time. IU retruit Bud Mackey will play for Scott County in the game. The game is on down here, so I would think that some channel may have it where you guys are. If you can find it, it will be a nice chance to take a look at the first commitment for Indiana's 2008 class.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 01:13 PM)
HAHA, you've also seen him play more than once I assume :)

Imagine that, a couple of UI fans bashing an IU recruit. No offense, but unless you have seen the kid play a handful of times this past season, I don't think you have the ability to accurate assess his current ability/talent.

I personally haven't seen him play so I really can't comment on his ability, but I can rely on relatively unbiased sources such as JC rankings and the quality of the colleges interested in Thomas. He is currently rated the 7th best JC player in the country and is drawing interest from the schools listed above along with almost every Big 12 school, so calling him worthless is probably unwarranted and untrue.

Is he going to be a star at a high major D1 school? Highly unlikely! Rarely do JC transfers develop into stars at the D1 level. However, he does potentially fill a void on the IU roster. Anyone who has watched IU knows that they have very little depth or talent up front after DJ White. So adding another potential big body that can possible give IU 10-15 quality minutes up front would be a huge addition at this point.

Finally, I can't image that you would be saying these things if Thomas decided to commit to UI instead. I am sure that you would remain a little skeptical, as I am right now, but you surely won't be bashing him like you are now. Point being, try and be just a little unbias with your opinions. With all that said, it could be a moot point since IU currently doesn't have any scholarships available.

QUOTE(whitesox61382 @ Mar 25, 2007 -> 01:47 AM)
Imagine that, a couple of UI fans bashing an IU recruit. No offense, but unless you have seen the kid play a handful of times this past season, I don't think you have the ability to accurate assess his current ability/talent.

You are ignoring the fact that I have seen him play. Like I already said, not since high school obviously, but still.

Two IU recruits played for state championships last night, one came away as a winner....

Eric Gordon scored 25 points and his North Central squad fell to East Chicago Central 78-74. Hopefully, we will have some firsthand reports coming soon on that game. ECC included Purdue signee E'tuan (sp?) Moore and 2008 recruit Angel Garcia.

Bud Mackey, 2008 commit, led his Scott Co. Cardinals to a win over Louisville Ballard (aboz' HS??). Mackey was named MVP, taking over the game and scoring 9 straight points in the final minutes to bring Scott Co. from behind and win. I watched the game and had mixed thoughts about Mackey.

First, I don't think he was near active enough early in the game. Scott Co., quite frankly, didn't look very good. The game was played at a helter skelter pace with Ballard pressing and slapping at the ball all over the court. Scott Co. never seemed to get into a rhythm and often would settle for a shot off the dribble by the first guy that was able to get the ball past them to the top of the key. So you didn't see much movement without the ball. Mackey committed two quick fouls and lost a lot of time in the first quarter. He just really didn't assert himself until late in the game.

On the positive, he is athletic and can be a slasher-type player. He did a nice job of pulling up off the dribble and hitting mid-range shots. He was also able to drive by defenders and score in trafic at the rim. He didn't shoot a lot from outside, but did hit one three.

I saw Gordon play last night and I came away even more impressed than when I saw him versus Franklin Central. The refs allowed this game to be very very physical and EC took advantage of that and they were all over Gordon. NC just did not have another inside presence besides Hodzic and I think that really cost them as Garcia, their wide body man (name escapes me), and Moore just penetrated and got rebounds at will it seemed. Gordon's ability to know where everyone on the court is at all times is just astonishing. His range was in full effect last night too as he was pulling up from the "Conseco Fieldhouse" writing on the court and letting it rain. I also do not think I have ever seen a quicker first step in quite some time. He just blows past the opponent. Conseco was also packed as the box office was sold out 5 hours before gametime when I got there so I had to pay $30 on the street to get tickets. EC also had a MUCH MUCH bigger crowd than North Central oddly enough. Can't wait for next season!

Edited by He_Gawn

Second time in as many weeks that I saw EJ and he was really good, but not great last night. ECC had two guys and sometimes three guys on him the entire night yet he still found his way to 25 points.

Credit Pete Trgovich, coach of East Chicago, for not letting Gordon beat them last night. They made NC's other guys step up and they just weren't as good as the supporting cast that ECC had. Moore was solid in my view, but not spectacular. Sure, he outscored EJ, but they were playing him straight up with a less physical and smaller player. When EJ switched on to him at times, he didn't do much at all. Gordon had to guard Angel Garcia, simply because NC didn't have anyone else who could stick with him.

Rex, as far as the scouting report on Garcia, he looks like a high major player to me. He's big, yet he can step outside and shoot it and he can also get into the lane. I'd like to see him get stronger, but he should definitely be on IU's radar for 2008. Just not sure if he fits the bill of the type of big guy Kelvin is looking for simply because he doesn't seem to like to "bang" inside and does shoot a lot from the perimeter if given the chance. Nonetheless, I fully expect IU to make an offer. Pitino was there last night in the front row watching him and I could see him moving up to the top 50 range if he plays well this summer.

As far as your mention of Ballard being my HS, no, I did not go there. A lot of press in the local paper today about Mackey and him going to IU. While the situation is a lot different since Mackey grew up in Ohio for the most part and didn't grow up a UK fan, I have a feeling that when UK hires a new coach they are going to make a strong push for Mackey and try to pry him away from IU. Hopefully it won't turn out like the EJ situation did, but you never know. I could see some similarities in the situation, yet since Mackey didn't really grow up in Kentucky, maybe he will stick with IU. He seems to be solid with them right now based on his comments in the papers here over the last week. He even wore socks with the IU logo on them in the game last night. I also heard that Bruce Pearl was very unhappy with the way KS handled the EJ situation and has stated that he will continue to make a push for Mackey.

He Gawn, ECC did have a bigger crowd last night, but that is not uncommon when a team from the Region makes it down to state. They travel as well as anybody whenever that happens and they definitely were behind their team last night.

Ummm, what the hell does Bruce Pearl have to do with Eric Gordon and why does his opinion matter? Pearl is going to recruit whoever he wants hard and he also knows he is in a serious head-to-head battle with IU for Philip Jurick.

What Pearl does with Mackey doesn't concern me. Any kid that verbally commits so early concerns me only because it is the nature of kids that age to change their mind. Especially with Kentucky's coaching situation changing. The bottom line is that Sampson needs to continue to recruit him if he wants to keep him.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Mar 25, 2007 -> 12:24 PM)
Rex, as far as the scouting report on Garcia, he looks like a high major player to me. He's big, yet he can step outside and shoot it and he can also get into the lane. I'd like to see him get stronger, but he should definitely be on IU's radar for 2008. Just not sure if he fits the bill of the type of big guy Kelvin is looking for simply because he doesn't seem to like to "bang" inside and does shoot a lot from the perimeter if given the chance. Nonetheless, I fully expect IU to make an offer. Pitino was there last night in the front row watching him and I could see him moving up to the top 50 range if he plays well this summer.

DePaul is also recruiting him. I believe he's friends with and played AAU with one of our incoming guys from indiana, Bizoukas. Haven't seen him play, but if he's good, hopefully we're still top 3 for him.

Oh yeah, if anybody from indiana had seen Bizoukas (PG from munster) play, I'd be interesting in hearing what people think of him. Obviously not as highly ranked as our top 30 guys Dar Tucker and Mac Koshwal, but DePaul does need a guy who can develop into a smart, efficient PG.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Mar 25, 2007 -> 09:15 PM)
Oh yeah, and apparently angel garcia is listed as a sophmore. That kid is taking a long time to graduate high school.

Sophomore academically, junior eligibility wise. Probably will have to go to a prep school.

Buehrle>Wood, I didn’t ignore anything. You simple didn’t read my post carefully. I clearly stated “unless you have seen the kid play a handful of times this PAST season, I don’t think you have the ability to accurately assess his CURRENT ability/talent”. I am sorry, but how a kid plays 2-3 years ago isn’t that relevant compared to how he is currently performing. He is currently ranked as the 7th best JC player and drawing interest from some elite programs, so my guess is that he isn’t as worthless as you think based on seeing him play in high school. No offense to you, but I am going to go with the opinion of scouts/coaches whose job revolves around scouting players versus your opinion on this matter. Let me restate that I don't think that Thomas will be a difference matter, but there is a decent chance that he will do a solid job adding depth up front and filling a huge void.

Let me start by saying that I don’t frown on recruiting players who are already committed to another school. With that said, how can Pearl call out Sampson and the way he handled the Gordon situation, only to turn around and do the exact same thing with Mackey? If that isn’t hypocrisy, than I don’t know what is! How about taking the high road, or leading by example, or two wrongs don’t make a right(or any other applicable cliché)? Am I missing something here in regards to Pearl or is he the biggest hypocrite in the world? Like I said, if Mackey decides that UK is a better fit for him in the long-run and ends up committing to UK instead of IU, than I will wish him the best of luck. I just hope he doesn’t go to Tenn. at this point.