Recruiting Thread

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 10:44 PM)
Correct, and UK has a wide lead IMO.

And who is the big guy in this class if not Liggins? Miller who isn't coming? The overrated Shumpert? Dunigan? Illinois will end up with a class full of Demetri McCamey like prospects in 2008 which isn't bad, but won't get you to many Final 4's anytime soon.

For the record, I think Suggs, Shumpert, and Dunigan, and probably some sort of wild card depending upon Jamar Smith, C.J., and whatever else goes on, will be the class.

Only you would find a way to complain about that class, me thinks.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:44 PM)
Correct, and UK has a wide lead IMO.

And who is the big guy in this class if not Liggins? Miller who isn't coming? The overrated Shumpert? Dunigan? Illinois will end up with a class full of Demetri McCamey like prospects in 2008 which isn't bad, but won't get you to many Final 4's anytime soon.

For the record, I think Suggs, Shumpert, and Dunigan, and probably some sort of wild card depending upon Jamar Smith, C.J., and whatever else goes on, will be the class.

A) The most players you will see signed for 2008 will be three.

B ) Liggins was not the "big guy" for Illinois in the class of 2008 and the other Illini posters have supported that notion. It's simply not the case.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:52 PM)
Only you would find a way to complain about that class, me thinks.

Depends on who the wild card is. The big reason I wouldn't like it is I am a big Liggins fan and think Shumpert is WAY WAY overrated.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:52 PM)
A) The most players you will see signed for 2008 will be three.

B ) Liggins was not the "big guy" for Illinois in the class of 2008 and the other Illini posters have supported that notion. It's simply not the case.

A is probably right, and as for B.....I hope they were right.

ND continues to compile a great class before July as they received their 10th 4-star(plus 1 5-star) commitment today in safety Jamoris Slaughter. I love the fact that Weis and Brown are going into the south and taking away top players from traditional SEC strongholds. Furthermore, rumor has it that 3 other 4-star recruits had great visits this past week and are heavy ND leans at this point and could all commit within the next week or two:

Ethan Johnson 4-star DE(48th overall)

Dan McCarthy 4-star S

Michael Floyd 4-star WR(52nd overall)

The fact that Weis(with the help of Brown) is starting to get defensive talent to match his offensive talent is a scary thought for ND haters.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:44 PM)

If so, that would be a great, ranked class. Is that more or less what's expected?

How is illinois doing with those guys so far? I've heard purdue, georgetown and other are after dunigan, acc schools ga. tech and clemson after shumpert, etc...

i'll admit i'm disappointed in this. although i didn't expect liggins to come to illinois (that's been pretty clear for the past month or so) i did think he was a great fit for the offense and would have done a nice job. he was the guy i probably liked most out of this class.

but, as has been previously stated we are in on some other pretty good players in this class. the pressure, again, is to close which has been weber's weak spot.

in terms of miller, i'm not sure i agree with relating liggins-to-kentucky as at all significant to how he views illinois or his chances of going there.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 05:50 PM)
If so, that would be a great, ranked class. Is that more or less what's expected?

How is illinois doing with those guys so far? I've heard purdue, georgetown and other are after dunigan, acc schools ga. tech and clemson after shumpert, etc...

It's still a pretty darn good class. My main issue is I think Shumpert is very overrated and wouldn't be somebody Illinois would even really want had they got Liggins. It's more personal preference, this will still probably be a top 25 class nationally. Of the 3 guys I listed, I think Suggs is most likely to come to Illinois, then Dunigan, and Shumpert has been all over the map with his schools. If Dunigan falls through, the kid Brandenburg from Missouri is also possible and same goes for Humphrey if Shumpert doesn't work out. I'd be shocked if Suggs doesn't wear O&B.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

EJ Manuel to FSU :headbang

Also, to followup on the other story I posted, it looks like Disney is going to face some huge scrutiny on this situation. It seems like everything is pointing to racial profiling, I heard there was even a story on this topic on the Chicago news.

I found this excerpt from the Orlando Sentinel interesting (keep in mind of the writer is white).

I bought an FSU jersey and drove to Downtown Disney. I sat at a table in my No. 11 and did absolutely nothing.

After about an hour, a security guard approached. Surely the jersey would tip him off to trouble.

"Good afternoon," he said with a smile.

More effort obviously was needed. There was a stock car from the Richard Petty Driving Experience parked nearby.

"Please Keep Off The Car," the sign said.

I plopped down on the hood.

Nothing.

I went to the Virgin Megastore and moved the new Kelly Clarkson CD to the discount bin.

Nobody noticed.

I did everything except walk down Main Street USA wearing a sandwich board that read, "I'm Loitering!"

It was all a waste of time, which was not surprising.

...again, I feel the need to step in Mr. 101.

It's long been rumored that Dunnigan and Humphrey will be a package--if so, you take them both without a second's thought.

Dunnigan is a rare talent and has the potential to be an absolute monster in the Big Ten. He would be a big man the likes of which Illinois has never seen. Likewise, Humphrey has a lot to offer. He is shooting up the charts and is an absolute sniper from beyond the arc--in other words, a perfect fit for Weber's offense.

If you add both Dunnigan and Humphrey and tack-on Suggs, Miller, or, if you can imagine, Shumpert, that will go down as the single greatest recruiting class in Illinois history (strictly speaking from a High School ranking type point of view--once they get there, who knows).

Dunnigan, Humphrey and Suggs and the Illini are in business and Weber just netted his best class.

Dunnigan, Humphrey and Shumpert and Weber has gone above and beyond this class's expectations and the Illini really have some special in the works.

(For what it's worth, my prediction on June 28th is Dunnigan. Humphery, and Suggs.)

Want me to be honest? I had a total braincramp and forgot the Dunigan/Humphrey thing. That makes me think that the Dunigan/Humphrey/Suggs class is more likely because I think Dunigan is an Illini eventually. That class would make me a lot more happy. Losing Liggins is still huge, but Humphrey instead of Shumpert is a huge positive.

6'10'' 225 lb PF Terrence Jennings (#9 overall/#4 PF in '08) out of Mt. Zion Academy in Durham, NC has listed Illinois in his Top 3 along with Washington and Maryland. Can you imagine if Illinois was to land a Top 10 national recruit right out of Duke's backyard? Go get 'em, Bruce! I think our '05 National Championship appearance as well as the years before of being pretty dominant in the Big 10 has had a big effect on these young guys coming up.

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 02:51 PM)
6'10'' 225 lb PF Terrence Jennings (#9 overall/#4 PF in '08) out of Mt. Zion Academy in Durham, NC has listed Illinois in his Top 3 along with Washington and Maryland. Can you imagine if Illinois was to land a Top 10 national recruit right out of Duke's backyard? Go get 'em, Bruce! I think our '05 National Championship appearance as well as the years before of being pretty dominant in the Big 10 has had a big effect on these young guys coming up.

That would be an unbelievable get. I just dont have the faith in Bruce to close, but hopefully he will. I just hopes guys start making their decisions soon. I would like to have two committs before summer ends.

Ethan Johnson, 5 star scout and high 4 star rivals DE, has just committed to the Irish. Rumor also has it that Floyd is soon to follow. This is getting ridiculous!

And tough break on Jones, but I saw Clark visited this weekend.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 10:21 AM)
...again, I feel the need to step in Mr. 101.

It's long been rumored that Dunnigan and Humphrey will be a package--if so, you take them both without a second's thought.

Dunnigan is a rare talent and has the potential to be an absolute monster in the Big Ten. He would be a big man the likes of which Illinois has never seen. Likewise, Humphrey has a lot to offer. He is shooting up the charts and is an absolute sniper from beyond the arc--in other words, a perfect fit for Weber's offense.

If you add both Dunnigan and Humphrey and tack-on Suggs, Miller, or, if you can imagine, Shumpert, that will go down as the single greatest recruiting class in Illinois history (strictly speaking from a High School ranking type point of view--once they get there, who knows).

Dunnigan, Humphrey and Suggs and the Illini are in business and Weber just netted his best class.

Dunnigan, Humphrey and Shumpert and Weber has gone above and beyond this class's expectations and the Illini really have some special in the works.

(For what it's worth, my prediction on June 28th is Dunnigan. Humphery, and Suggs.)

Two words Addy...

Jens Kujawa

hekupr01.jpg

QUOTE(He_Gawn @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 05:13 PM)
Ethan Johnson, 5 star scout and high 4 star rivals DE, has just committed to the Irish. Rumor also has it that Floyd is soon to follow. This is getting ridiculous!

And tough break on Jones, but I saw Clark visited this weekend.

Notre Dame's class right now looks unbelievable, especially on defense.

As far as IU goes, I'm not sure losing Jones is such a bad thing. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have him, but I think there are other fish to fry so to speak. As far as Clark, I have very little interest there. It seems he has little in IU now after visiting Oklahoma.