Corey Patterson

KevHead0881

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 09:52 AM)
Well Rock, I think you and I and quickman are the only three guys who feel this way.  Thing is, as you know I doubt the Cubs will want to trade him to the Sox and in addition it is probably best for Patterson that he gets traded out of the city. 

On another matter I also recall hearing the Sox had some interest in Todd Walker at the trade deadline last year.  He can hit.  I doubt the Sox have any room or interest at this point though.

People need to keep in mind that he did show a few flashes of brilliance at the major league level. Plus his defense is a key asset. I think that the atmosphere of the cubs, and the downright horrible fundamental coaching by the cubs staff and Dusty Baker has helped him regress. If he could be had for a fringe prospect, like the O's were offering, I would take him in a heartbeat.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 03:47 PM)
The Score just announced it... HE GONE!

Cubs Get

Carlos Perez Single A Delmarva

W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB SO

11 8 4.28 27 27 0 0 0 151.1 168 84 72 10 61 146

Nate Spears Single A Frederick Keys

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG

112 445 63 131 30 6 6 41 191 36 82 8 4 .349 .429 .294

Perez is 6'1" 185 throws left bats left is 23 years old.

Spears is 5'11" 165 throws right bats left is 20 years old

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 12:56 PM)
I thought the Cubs were getting another starting pitcher for Patterson

Surely this move will demonstrate to Tejada the Orioles do have a commitment to winning...

Anywho, at least this will put an end to all those crazy trade formulae that Cubs fans come up with involving Patterson.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 02:58 PM)
Surely this move will demonstrate to Tejada the Orioles do have a commitment to winning...

Anywho, at least this will put an end to all those crazy trade formulae that Cubs fans come up with involving Patterson.

You mean the Corey Patterson for Soriano rumors that I have been hearing?

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 04:03 PM)
So why are you "closet cub fans" defending him?

It doesn't take a Cub fan to see that he has some talent. Nobody is saying the guy has been anything but a bust as a major leaguer. But he has had some success (first half of '03) and has the tools that lead people to believe that if he were to figure some things out, he'd be a good player. I personally think the odds are against it, but with the right coaching, and a change of attitude from Patterson, I wouldn't be surprised if he turned out to at least be decent.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 01:12 PM)
It doesn't take a Cub fan to see that he has some talent.  Nobody is saying the guy has been anything but a bust as a major leaguer.  But he has had some success (first half of '03) and has the tools that lead people to believe that if he were to figure some things out, he'd be a good player.  I personally think the odds are against it, but with the right coaching, and a change of attitude from Patterson, I wouldn't be surprised if he turned out to at least be decent.

I agree with you on this one, this is a move that, at least from the O's side, is moderately smart, just because Patterson does have a very large upside, and the downside of picking him up is a couple million dollars. When you're a team like the White Sox and you've already done 95% of your building, those $3 million would be a poor decision, because they're the difference between offering Buehrle $12 million a year and $15 mil a year.

But, if you're a team like the Orioles struggling to gain traction, then that $3 million is a decent gamble. If Patterson could even earn a position as a big leaguer next year, he could turn himself into a decent player, and if he doesn't, then they just had to give up cash and a couple guys who (if the O's are smart) will never get past AA Ball.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 03:12 PM)
It doesn't take a Cub fan to see that he has some talent.  Nobody is saying the guy has been anything but a bust as a major leaguer.  But he has had some success (first half of '03) and has the tools that lead people to believe that if he were to figure some things out, he'd be a good player.  I personally think the odds are against it, but with the right coaching, and a change of attitude from Patterson, I wouldn't be surprised if he turned out to at least be decent.

This is the problem.

He's uncoachable.

He insisted (stupidly) that NO Cub coach at ANY level talked to him about bunting or being a leadoff hitter. This is ridiculous. HE is ridiculous.

The only chance the Orioles have to get anything from Patterson is to let him be the player he thinks he is. Let him flail crazily at anything and everything in the hopes of connecting, accept the 120 Ks per year and under NO circumstances ask him to do anything involving plate discipline or team play.

Of course, the Orioles ARE in the position to allow him to play selfishly, since they are struggling to avoid last place in the AL East, so maybe "Corey with a K" can put up some meaningless numbers for them.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 04:22 PM)
This is the problem.

He's uncoachable.

He insisted (stupidly) that NO Cub coach at ANY level talked to him about bunting or being a leadoff hitter. This is ridiculous. HE is ridiculous.

The only chance the Orioles have to get anything from Patterson is to let him be the player he thinks he is. Let him flail crazily at anything and everything in the hopes of connecting, accept the 120 Ks per year and under NO circumstances ask him to do anything involving plate discipline or team play.

Of course, the Orioles ARE in the position to allow him to play selfishly, since they are struggling to avoid last place in the AL East, so maybe "Corey with a K" can put up some meaningless numbers for them.

The thing is for a guy with those tools, you give him one "Get out of Dusty free" card. Sometimes a change of scenery can be what sparks a guy. It very well could be that seeing him get dumped for crap opens his eyes a little bit. In that case, Baltimore is a big winner. In the case that he is the same old Korey, you drop him after one year, and all you lost was $3 million and two nothing prospects. Its a low-risk, high reward move that looks more like a Kenny Williams trademark move.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 01:22 PM)
This is the problem.

He's uncoachable.

Well, there's always the chance that the Cubs coaches really were too stupid to talk to him about bunting, taking walks, etc.

Anywho, there's always 1 thing working in favor of the team in these sorts of scenarios...K-Orey Patterson is never going to be paid to be anything than a backup. However, if he actually sat down, listened, learned a little bit, and could at least make himself a serviceable starter somewhere, even if it took a few years, then the amount of money he could make would go through the roof.

Not the best example but take AJ - coming out of San Fran, we signed him @ a bargain price. Why? Because in San Fran, he was labeled a "Cancer". Now, if you're in AJ's spot, are you going to do anything to piss off your next team? I certainly wouldn't. Not to insult AJ of course, since you have to like how he helped our team last year, but if you're in his shoes, wouldn't it occur to you that you're costing yourself a million or two dollars that year by pissing off Brett Tomko, and you should make damn sure you don't piss off your pitching staff next year?

The same thing could work for Korey. He's not going to make a cent more than Timo as a FA if he doesn't get his game together. That could be some powerful motivation. But then again, he could just be an idiot.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 03:27 PM)
The thing is for a guy with those tools, you give him one "Get out of Dusty free" card.  Sometimes a change of scenery can be what sparks a guy.  It very well could be that seeing him get dumped for crap opens his eyes a little bit.  In that case, Baltimore is a big winner.  In the case that he is the same old Korey, you drop him after one year, and all you lost was $3 million and two nothing prospects.  Its a low-risk, high reward move that looks more like a Kenny Williams trademark move.

That could happen, but put me in the "Permanent Sulk" betting pool.

Patterson just seems like a "me boy" and a moper.

But it is a low-risk, high-potential move for the Orioles - too bad for Miggy that this is the only kind of move Baltimore makes lately.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 04:36 PM)
Perfect term.  Dusty DOES NOT teach the correct fundamentals.

Exactly. He has no interest in rookies. He would much rather sit and watch the veterans pay, vs actually doing some managing and coaching. A raw guy like Patterson really suffers with a guy like that. I don't know if Patterson is coachable or not, but it would be interesting to have him spend a year somewhere like here, Minnesota, or Florida for example that stresses the fundimentals and see what happened.