Iraq War News

Texsox

I was thinking instead of creating new threads, we could group Iraq news and discussion into one thread.

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Eleven U.S. troops -- eight soldiers and three Marines -- were among about 140 people killed in attacks across Iraq Thursday, military officials said. It was the deadliest day in Iraq in nearly four months.

A U.S. soldier and a U.S. Marine were killed in a major suicide bombing targeting an Iraqi police recruitment center in Ramadi, the military said Friday. Both were assigned to 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force (Forward).

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/01/06/...main/index.html

I wonder how many Americans were murdered here in America yesterday?

I was looking at some murder stats and it seems plus or minus 18,000 people are murdered each year in America.

How about publishing that story like they do the Iraq totals? That works out to about 50 per day.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 08:40 AM)
I was looking at some murder stats and it seems plus or minus 18,000 people are murdered each year in America.

How about publishing that story like they do the Iraq totals? That works out to about 50 per day.

They do, or at least the TV news does. Every year usually during sweeps week down here.

I'm remain alarmed at the high murder rates in this country, regardless of what is happening in our war efforts. But most of the country is desensitiezed to the trickle accumulation of murder victims, it's true.

But iimagine if we had a single bombing incident here that killed 100 or so people, like we had this week in Iraq. Of cours that is going to rise up to overshadow all the background murders in the news. So to, I believe heavy coverage of such incidents in Iraq is warranted. I think comparing those incidents to the background level murder rates is apples and oranges, even if at the end of the year the totals are identical.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 05:40 AM)

Population of The United States: ~300,000,000

Population of Iraq: ~ (slightly less than) 30,000,000

According to Bush, approximate number killed in Iraq due to the war: 30,000 in 2.5 years.

That of course excludes all of the other murder rates, the individual deaths/killings unrelated to the bombings and war which simply aren't reported, things like killings during robberies or kidnappings for ransom.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 07:40 AM)

Are you including the number of babies murdered via abortion in that figure?