Favorite Former Contenders

NorthSideSox72

Just a fun topic of discussion in the politcal arena. Who are some of your favorite politicians that ran for president, but failed to get out of the primaries with their party's endorsement? They can be from either major party, or even an independent. Explanations of what you liked are great. Bonus points for obscurity.

I'll start with a few that I liked over the years for various different reasons...

Paul Tsongas

John McCain

Dennis Kucinich

I liked all three, for different reasons, though they all shared some things in common (believe it or not). One thing: they all seemed more real to me than other candidates. You got the impression that the level of B.S. coming from them was lower than the rest.

Edited by NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 12:21 PM)
Don't you mean Dennis Kucinich?  Gary Kucinich was Dennis's brother, and as far as Google is telling me, he never ran for anything beyond Cleveland Mayor.  I could be wrong though.

:bang

Yes, you are correct. It felt wrong typing it too, not sure where I got Gary from.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 10:56 AM)
Just a fun topic of discussion in the politcal arena.  Who are some of your favorite politicians that ran for president, but failed to get out of the primaries with their party's endorsement?  They can be from either major party, or even an independent.  Explanations of what you liked are great.  Bonus points for obscurity.

I'll start with a few that I liked over the years for various different reasons...

Paul Tsongas

John McCain

Dennis Kucinich

I liked all three, for different reasons, though they all shared some things in common (believe it or not).  One thing: they all seemed more real to me than other candidates.  You got the impression that the level of B.S. coming from them was lower than the rest.

Dennis Kucinich is just Ross Perot with a better toupe and a few cans of red bull.