question about the curry trade

i looked around and could not find this anywhere so i was looking for some help.

do the bulls get the knicks no. 1 pick year under any circumstance, or only if it is out of the top three.

i seem to recall there being some provisions on the pick that would push it to next year's draft, but i didn't know the facts.

thanks in advance.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 03:36 PM)
i looked around and could not find this anywhere so i was looking for some help.

do the bulls get the knicks no. 1 pick year under any circumstance, or only if it is out of the top three.

i seem to recall there being some provisions on the pick that would push it to next year's draft, but i didn't know the facts.

thanks in advance.

The pick has no restrictions. If the Knicks end up with the #1 pick in the draft, it's ours. And, in 2007, we can switch picks with the Knicks as well. So if they suck ass again and say end up with the 5th pick, and we make the playoffs and end up with the 24th pick, we can switch with them. Isiah Thomas is a f***in moron. lol

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 04:53 PM)
The pick has no restrictions.  If the Knicks end up with the #1 pick in the draft,  it's ours.  And,  in 2007,  we can switch picks with the Knicks as well.  So if they suck ass again and say end up with the 5th pick,  and we make the playoffs and end up with the 24th pick,  we can switch with them.  Isiah Thomas is a f***in moron.  lol

I'm hoping for Brown to melt down, quit after this season, and we swap picks with the Knicks in '07 and draft OJ Mayo #1...I can dream if I want to.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 05:31 PM)
I think the Knicks will be be the better team in 07 but there aren't a lot of signs of life in either place so switching spots may or may not be a big deal.

The bulls have better young talent and more cap room. I know that 07 swap will happen in our favor.

The cap room is clearly not debatable as the Bulls are in better shape by a landslide and the Knicks are the most poorly run team (financially) in the NBA, or at least darn near it. Better young talent? Maybe. I dunno. I'm high on Channing Frye so I tend to think that Curry and Frye compared to Tyson/Hinrich/Gordon is close to a push. I think both teams have some youn talent but most are complimentary pieces. Neither team has a build around star which will be the problem that plagues both. Out of those 5 guys, none are franchise players. Both teams could use a year in the tank to get an impact guy (or just get lucky later int he draft)

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 05:48 PM)
Couldn't disagree more, I think Channing is going to be much better but I guess we'll see

Deng is definitely better than Curry, Chandler, Hinrich, and Gordon IMO.

I am not knocking Channing at all, I think he's great. But Deng is a a monster talent. He was the #2 player in his recruiting class behind only LeBron. Then he had one good year at Duke. You need to consider that Deng is still 2 years younger than Frye.

I don't see how either of the two can be much better than the other, like you said Frye was.

Deng is the 6th leading rebounder among SF's and he gets significantly less PT than the 5 ahead of him. Luol also ranks 16 among SF's in scoring and that is while splitting time with Noc.

I think people lose sight of the fact that Deng is only 20 years old.

Edited by WHarris1

Plain and simple deng has the potential to be a top 15 player in the entire nba. Channing frye? Not so much. He is clearly not close to being as versatile as deng... deng is supposedly gonna grow another inch or so.

He will be the star ( he isn't now) the bulls build around whether anyone likes it or not

QUOTE(q\/\/3r+y @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 06:32 PM)
He will be the star ( he isn't now) the bulls build around whether anyone likes it or not

I don't just like it, I love it. I was thrilled when we made the deal to get that guy from Phoenix. I just hope we can build a team around him & Capt. Kirk, and that sometime in his life Chandler turns into a decent BBall player.

Just out of curiosity, is there a younger team in basketball, at least in terms of their starting 5, than the Bulls? I still sit here, look at this team, and think the best years are ahead of almost everyone on their roster, and if they hold together, and add in a few more draft picks like what we picked up from the Knicks, this team could turn into a real force in a couple of years.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 01:34 PM)
Just out of curiosity, is there a younger team in basketball, at least in terms of their starting 5, than the Bulls?  I still sit here, look at this team, and think the best years are ahead of almost everyone on their roster, and if they hold together, and add in a few more draft picks like what we picked up from the Knicks, this team could turn into a real force in a couple of years.

Maybe the Atlanta Hawks, they're pretty young besides Harrington in the starting lineup.

And speaking of Channing Frye, he's havin a very nice game tonight. 30 points and 7 boards. Looks like Larry Brown may have actually settled on a rotation, and even Starbury had a good game tonight.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 10:00 PM)
And speaking of Channing Frye, he's havin a very nice game tonight. 30 points and 7 boards. Looks like Larry Brown may have actually settled on a rotation, and even Starbury had a good game tonight.

Larry Brown cant be happy that he is being forced to use rookies out there, he usually doesnt play rookies much at all. Well, Darko that is....

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 12:17 AM)
Larry Brown cant be happy that he is being forced to use rookies out there, he usually doesnt play rookies much at all.  Well, Darko that is....

The biggest waste of talent in the NBA. They never give the kid a chance. I still think Darko Milicic will be a great player in the NBA when he gets out of Detroit.

Hey Joe Dumars, we'll giv ya Steve Francis for him!!!! :D

Seriously though, Milicic would be great on a team like the Hawks who lack a true center. In fact, on almost any team other than Detroit who have such a good frontline, Milicic would probably be getting regular playing time.

It is a little more complicated:

The Chicago Bulls convey to the New York Knicks the contract of Antonio Davis and the signed-and-traded contract of Eddy Curry. In exchange, New York conveys to Chicago the contracts of Tim Thomas and Michael Sweetney, the signed-and-traded contract of Jermaine Jackson, and New York’s regular second round draft choice in 2007 and 2009.

In addition, New York conveys to Chicago, New York’s 2006 regular first round draft choice on condition that the pick does not actually go to Utah (due to not being number 26-30) and also on condition that New York receives San Antonio’s 2006 regular first round selection (due to being number 11-30).

If New York’s 2006 first round does go to Utah (due to being number 26-30), and New York does receive San Antonio’s 2006 first round pick (due to being number 11-30), New York conveys to Chicago that San Antonio first round selection.

In addition, New York also conveys to Chicago the right to switch first round draft picks with New York in 2007 provided that New York’s first round selection does not go to Utah (is not number 25-30). Per team policy, terms of the contract were not disclosed. This trade is conditional upon the players passing their physicals.

http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/curry_traded_051004.html

Edited by RME JICO