Prior for Abreu

DukeNukeEm

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 06:21 PM)
Ken Rosenthal on Philly DNL reported it.

Wow.

The Cubs just decided to pay Zambrano alot of money, because he is going to be holding out an upturned palm and expecting it to be filled with green, ASAP. Philly is going to have a pretty good team if you ask me, their rotation could be pretty damn solid.

I have to believe this is another panic move by Hendry to just make a trade, just because.

I don't think Abreu gets swapped from the Cubs to the O's because I don't think the O's want Abreu. I tend to think that Abreu is the least coveted player in the triangle so I'm not sure he gets moved, unless this rumor comes to fruition. If the O's traded Tejada for Abreu they get no better and the Phils have neither the young pitchers to add on (Floyd and Hamels are too risky and Madson won't go anywhere) while the Phils want to add pitching rather than subtract in my opinion. I think one of these teams (likely the Phils or Cubs) gets left out in the end

To me, this says 1 of 3 things.

1. Mark Prior will not be fully healthy in the next several years and Jim Hendry has not told us this

2. There is a lot of money going to the Cubs along with Abreu

3. There are a lot of players going to the Cubs along with Abreu (Gio?)

Personally, I would wager on the 1st. This happens...it screams the Cubs knowing something we don't about Prior's arm. Just comparing the prices of the contracts...you could sign DLee for 3 years with the money you'd save by holding onto Prior compared to Abreu.

Actually since it was reported that Prior's agent told the Cubs that he was going to Arb back in November, that is almost the same time the rumors of him being moved started to pop up. Hendry probably figures that he is not going to be able to re-sign Prior, and he will now have to pay him more than what he had expected to pay thru Arb. So it seems like he is trying to get something for Prior before he gets nothing.