IBAF threatens to revoke sanctioning of Classic

Pierzynski 12

NEW YORK -- Baseball's world governing body has threatened to withdraw its sanctioning of the World Baseball Classic unless the Bush administration allows Cuba to compete.

Rich Levin, a spokesman for the commissioner's office, said Friday that a letter was faxed from International Baseball Federation president Aldo Notari, informing Major League Baseball of the IBAF's decision.

It is unclear whether the 16-team tournament, scheduled for March 3-20, would go forward without the IBAF's sanction. The tournament is being jointly administered by Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association.

Notari's letter was first reported Thursday by the Toronto Sun.

The U.S. Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control in mid-December denied the request for a license to allow Cuba to participate. The license is necessary because of U.S. laws governing certain commercial transactions with the Fidel Castro-controlled nation.

Baseball reapplied on Dec. 22 after Cuba said it would donate any money it earned from its participation to victims of Hurricane Katrina. The commissioner's office and the union said OFAC had not told them of its decision on the revised application.

"We're hopeful that Cuba will be able to play," Levin said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2283232

Looks like this is a situation we CAN blame on Bush. I know some are always looking for new venues to show their displeasure towards the president.

Truthfully, I wouldn't mind if the system completely collapsed. I'm sure many major league officials wouldn't mind either. So many players and pitchers are playing for a program Selig invented to broaden baseball's appeal. Even though the Olympics basically covers this.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

I don't know if this is something that can be blamed on Bush, because somehow I doubt this decision was made nearly that far up the chain of command. Dept of Treasury somewhere sure, maybe even the SecTreas.

Anywho, great move IBAF. Someone needs to embarass baseball and the U.S. to the point that they'll have to either let Cuba in or cancel the bloody thing. If Cuba can't show what they've got, then it's not worth antyhing.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 01:31 AM)
I don't know if this is something that can be blamed on Bush, because somehow I doubt this decision was made nearly that far up the chain of command.  Dept of Treasury somewhere sure, maybe even the SecTreas.

Anywho, great move IBAF.  Someone needs to embarass baseball and the U.S. to the point that they'll have to either let Cuba in or cancel the bloody thing.  If Cuba can't show what they've got, then it's not worth antyhing.

Who would have thought this? .... I disagree with you in that I think this squarely on Bush's shoulders. That chain of command runs down as well as up.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 12:04 AM)
Who would have thought this? .... I disagree with you in that I think this squarely on Bush's shoulders.  That chain of command runs down as well as up.

Maybe it's just that I want the WBC to die a quick death anyway to protect our starting pitching, make it easier for us to trade Jose, and make KW more willing to give the ball to BMac 30+ times this year as a starter, and anything that helps that along won't make me too mad.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 01:48 PM)
If Clinton were President, the Cubans would still be banned.

It's continual US policy to ban Cuba and be friends with China. (two-faced that it is)

You are correct. It doesn't matter who is in office. The US has had a long running policy against Cuba. China is a different story and you cannot compare that relationship with Cuba's. Each country has a unique relationship with the US. This is not about baseball, it is about sanctions against a communist country that is right on our border.

The fact that MLB came out and said oh we didn't know we couldn't do that is crazy. I wouldn't doubt if this was a jab back at the government for their intervention in the whole steroid thing.

All decisions are not made all the way at the top. They are normally just advised of what decision is being made.