Report: Iguchi to skip Baseball Classic

greasywheels121

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2283668

Report: Iguchi to skip Baseball Classic

Associated Press

TOKYO -- Chicago White Sox second baseman Tadahito Iguchi has withdrawn from the Japanese squad for the World Baseball Classic, a news agency reported Saturday.

Iguchi said he wants to focus on his play as he enters his second year in the majors.

"Unfortunately, I've decided to withdraw from the squad," Iguchi said while training in Japan's southernmost island of Okinawa, Kyodo News agency reported.

"This is the second year of my two-year contract with the White Sox. The team expects more from me than in the first year, so I would have to be in spring training."

Iguchi said he had informed Japanese team manager Sadaharu Oh of his decision.

Iguchi's reported withdrawal follows New York Yankees outfielder Hideki Matsui's decision in late December not to join Japan's squad at the 16-nation games.

Japan will be home for the first round of the tournament, March 3-5 at the Tokyo Dome. Japan is part of Group A, with South Korea, China and Taiwan.

Yeah this whole WBC thing is a waste of time. They should have used Minor Leaguers only. It is too risky to use Major League players for this.

That is great that Iguchi is concentrating on getting better this year. I think he is going to have a breakout year. I wouldn't be surprised to see:

25 HR, 85 RBI, .285 BAA, .350 OBP, .450 SLG

Everyone is starting to realize that the WBC was a joke to begin with. I understand there's pride involved for some for playing for one's country. But for others, they're slowly starting to realize what's more important to them -helping their team get ready for the season.

So who's left for the Sox? Garcia & Vazquez?

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 12:45 PM)
Everyone is starting to realize that the WBC was a joke to begin with.  I understand there's pride involved for some for playing for one's country.  But for others, they're slowly starting to realize what's more important to them -helping their team get ready for the season.

So who's left for the Sox?  Garcia & Vazquez?

The official rosters show Mark, Freddy, Gooch, and Vazquez. So it is still Freddy and Vazquez.

Edited by RME JICO

If they want to advertise baseball around the world, just schedule a couple of games in other countries. You could easily play games in Mexico or any of Central America without having killer flight times. For Asia, just schedule a series of West Coast teams like Seattle in Japan for a 3 game series.

You don't need an entire tournament to do this.

Unfortunately it is going to take an injury to a key player to expose this as a bad idea. I just hope it is not on the Sox.

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(knightni @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 01:23 PM)
I would. -  If he's still battng 2nd behind Pods.

I could see .270 18HR 75RBI if he bats second all year.

I still think he hits better 2nd this year, maybe not as high as I projected, but that first projection was him batting somewhere other than 2nd.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 01:29 PM)
I still think he hits better 2nd this year, maybe not as high as I projected, but that first projection was him batting somewhere other than 2nd.

Well... they certainly haven't replaced him in the 2 spot with anyone.

I wonder if Brian Anderson might get a shot at #2.

(I think he Ks too much though.)

QUOTE(knightni @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 12:34 PM)
Well... they certainly haven't replaced him in the 2 spot with anyone.

I wonder if Brian Anderson might get a shot at #2.

(I think he Ks too much though.)

Iguch K'd at a good rate also.

It maybe a good place for him, forces him to concentrate a bit more, with all of the plays being put on it also might keep him overthinking the position. This however is a risk because the number 2 spot is such a critical role.