Joey Cora on the radio

TLAK

Joey Cora was a guest of Bryan Dolgin and Bruce Levine on BaseBall 365 this morning and boy, is he mad at Jerry Owens and Charles Haeger.

He mentioned how great Owens played for him, he was leading the league, but then he said he quit on the team. Said he could only see him making the White Sox if somebody gets hurt. Then they asked about Charles Haeger and he says he was leading the league but quit on the team too. Said sometimes when a player gets on the 40-man roster and his agent gets involved they think they have it made.

I don’t know if Joey was speaking for the White Sox or just as disappointed manager who’s team fell short of the playoffs after his two stars left. I can't remember Joey Cora saying anything negative about a player before, so he must be mighty upset.

There is an article on them on Sox.Com that notes between the minors and winter ball Owens had 775 plate appearances last year, and Haeger pitched 210 combined innings, his previous high was 88 2/3. I’d be surprised if the White Sox development guys want any of their players to log more time than these two.

The Owens situation could get interesting around cut down time. If Cora is mad enough to say what he said in public, and Owens plays well enough to make the team, can the two coexist?

QUOTE(TLAK @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 09:49 AM)
Joey Cora was a guest of Bryan Dolgin and Bruce Levine on BaseBall 365 this morning and boy, is he mad at Jerry Owens and Charles Haeger.

He mentioned how great Owens played for him, he was leading the league, but then he said he quit on the team.  Said he could only see him making the White Sox if somebody gets hurt.  Then they asked about Charles Haeger and he says he was leading the league but quit on the team too.  Said sometimes when a player gets on the 40-man roster and his agent gets involved they think they have it made.

I don’t know if Joey was speaking for the White Sox or just as disappointed manager who’s team fell short of the playoffs after his two stars left.  I can't remember Joey Cora saying anything negative about a player before, so he must be mighty upset.

There is an article on them on Sox.Com that notes between the minors and winter ball Owens had 775 plate appearances last year, and Haeger pitched 210 combined innings, his previous high was 88 2/3.  I’d be surprised if the White Sox development guys want any of their players to log more time than these two.

The Owens situation could get interesting around cut down time.  If Cora is mad enough to say what he said in public, and Owens plays well enough to make the team, can the two coexist?

I highly doubt they will let a guy who played an entire minor league system and had 180 ab's in winter ball decision to call it a year before the winter ball season was over, affect their decision whether or not he makes the White Sox. If its in the White Sox best interests to have Jerry Owens on the roster, he will be there.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 09:53 AM)
I highly doubt they will let a guy who played an entire minor league system and had 180 ab's in winter ball decision to call it a year before the winter ball season was over, affect their decision whether or not he makes the White Sox. If its in the White Sox best interests to have Jerry Owens on the roster, he will be there.

I think so too, I just wonder how Cora will react.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 09:49 AM)
I don’t know if Joey was speaking for the White Sox

It seems to me that if you hear Cora speaking, it's just about like you're listening to Ozzie. I think that they're close enough that they see baseball issues the same way. But even so, I'd say that this is a blip, there won't be major reprecussions. Both guys have to continue to perform well this spring and next year to progress in their careers.

I don't blame Owens or Haeger. here they go through a full minor league season--Owens basically his first full one--and are tired. For them to be at full strength next year, they need a break. Look at Arnie Munoz a couple years ago: had a great minor league season and winter league and then the next season, he did poorly.

It is very easy for Ozzie to not play either of these guys in the spring knowing all they have is an outside shot. By quitting on Cora they did quit partially on the organization. It was not the organization that said they were fine with it. It could just be Cora being upset as it was his team to manage.

Ozzie controls their opportunities in the spring, we will see what kind of shot they have. Don't be so sure this is not an organizational thing.

How much baseball experience does Owens have? He needs all of the AB's he can get. How long has Chuck been throwing the kunckleball? He needs all of the innings he can get.

I understand their points but the organization has ideas too.

This is no big deal. It is because they both were added to the 40-man roster.

Haeger's innings are no big deal, he is a knuckleballer. Getting Owens some extra playing time will only speed up his progression.

I don't blame them, they made the 40 man roster, and they also wanted to be home for Christmas and get ready/rested for Spring Training.

Here is some info about Haeger that basically describes everything:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minor...nterwonder.html

Haeger ended his winter league stint early after finding out he had made the Sox roster.

Haeger had intended to pitch the entire season, but wanted to rest up and get ready for his first spring training in big league camp.

Cora just happened to be the manager, if it is any other manager this is no big deal. Cora has always stated that he was disappointed, and caught off guard. So maybe they both could have let Cora know in advance, instead of just basically walking out. I guess Cora was trying to work with Haeger to have him develop another consistent pitch to go with his knuckler.

Having Cora as a Winter Ball manager is a great way for the Sox to assess and mentor young players. I am surprised there were not more Sox on the team.

Edited by RME JICO

I also think this is Cora the manager speaking, with a little bit of Ozzie. I am sure if Owens was my player and he was killing the ball like Cora said, then I wouldnt be too happy if he quit on my team. There is plenty of time for egos to be soothed though

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 11:15 AM)
Cora has always stated that he was disappointed, and caught off guard. So maybe they both could have let Cora know in advance, instead of just basically walking out. 

I think this is the real issue. With the work those two put in last season, I find it hard to believe that he'd be this upset if they'd explained the situation to him and asked for a dismissal from winter ball. Sounds like Cora felt that there was a lack of respect there.

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 12:38 PM)
I think this is the real issue.  With the work those two put in last season, I find it hard to believe that he'd be this upset if they'd explained the situation to him and asked for a dismissal from winter ball.  Sounds like Cora felt that there was a lack of respect there.

Yep, but if he is not on their Major League team as a coach, there really is no issue. It happens all the time. I assume they judge made judgment errors when they found out they made the 40 man roster.

Cora might have even told them, then they both assumed that they had a free pass to leave. Never assume.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 01:25 PM)
Anywho, I want Owens to have a full year at AAA before we bring him up unless someone gets hurt, so I won't be too mad at anything which helps that.

If Owens has a great ST, he might slip into the opening day roster. It is definitely a possibility.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 12:35 PM)
If Owens has a great ST, he might slip into the opening day roster.  It is definitely a possibility.

We had a backup leftfielder in Timo last year.....we don't need Owens in the same role.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 01:06 PM)
He is on the 40 man roster for a reason - to compete.  Otherwise why bring him to ST?

LOL....I just don't think we need another speedy lefty who can't hit for power and has a noodley arm.

We've already got the all-star version.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 03:05 PM)
LOL....I just don't think we need another speedy lefty who can't hit for power and has a noodley arm.

We've already got the all-star version.

Yeah but you compared him to Timo not Pods. If he did make the roster I could see him giving Pods or Anderson a break, he could bat leadoff and could pinch run. He would be more valuable on the bench than Timo was.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 02:34 PM)
Yeah but you compared him to Timo not Pods.  If he did make the roster I could see him giving Pods or Anderson a break, he could bat leadoff and could pinch run.  He would be more valuable on the bench than Timo was.

LOL....just file me with the others in the "Give Owens some AAA time" bunch.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 10:38 AM)
I don't blame Owens or Haeger.  here they go through a full minor league season--Owens basically his first full one--and are tired.  For them to be at full strength next year, they need a break.  Look at Arnie Munoz a couple years ago: had a great minor league season and winter league and then the next season, he did poorly.

I agree. Winter ball is nice in moderation. Everyone needs a break from their jobs, especialy when too much of it can cause injury and hurt their long term productivity.

Bob

A lot of players come down to winter ball and stipulate that they'll only play so and so time. I kinda find it weird the Sox let these guys play in the first place and if they did they sould have said until a certain date

What I still don't get -- since this came up earlier, why didn't the Sox ask Cora to lay off making press comments if it's really not a big deal to them? Everyone seems to be minimizing this, and I think the argument that they won't develop more by playing even more is sound. But I still don't understand why Cora would be going off on the radio if the Sox organization thought it was nothing to be concerned about.

I think Cora is more Upset cause they were players he trusted and wnet to the team to sign them. Maybe he felt some heat in Venezuela cause of them leaving. And as Cora works for the Sox and they were Sox farmhands maybe the Venezuelan Team's management felt some what let down by Cora and his word. A mans Word in a latin culture means a lot

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 07:06 PM)
He is on the 40 man roster for a reason - to compete. Otherwise why bring him to ST?

So the sox can see what he can do, see if he has the skills to replace Pods in 07.

Owens needs AB's, as he was injured and missed most of one yr in the minors. He won't get those being the sox 4th OFer. Maybe after he gets 300 ab's in AAA and the sox need him late in the yr I can see him being called up. But not out of ST.