Tejada rescinds trade demand

greasywheels121

:crying

http://espn.go.com/?&lpos=globalnav&lid=gn_espn_ESPN

Tejada rescinds trade demand, will stay with O's

Associated Press

BALTIMORE -- Miguel Tejada rescinded his demand to be traded by the Orioles, telling team officials during a phone call Saturday that he's willing to help Baltimore become a contender in the AL East.

Angered over the Orioles' inability to garner additional talent this offseason, Tejada twice expressed his desire to be traded, the last time on Dec. 29. But he backed off that stance during a conversation with teammate Melvin Mora and vice president Jim Duquette.

"Miguel said all he wanted was for the team to improve. He wants to win," Duquette said. "He doesn't know how that got blown out of proportion, and he feels terrible the way it played out."

After Tejada expressed the desire for "a change of scenery" in early December, the Orioles began fielding trade requests for the three-time All-Star. But the Orioles, who signed Tejada to a six-year, $72 million contract in December 2003, had no intention of merely giving him away.

"What we're doing is looking for a fair and reasonable return," executive vice president Mike Flanagan said earlier Saturday. "He's a guy that's under a long-term contract with us, a targeted player, a terrific player. We're just not going to do something for the sake of doing something."

Now, the Orioles intend to do nothing.

"This is the first time we heard this directly from him," Duquette said. "We're elated that he's chosen to stay. We're all committed to improving the team, and it's easier to do it with Miguel than without him."

Tejada in recent weeks refused to return calls from Flanagan, Duquette and first-year manager Sam Perlozzo. But on Saturday he told Mora, one of his closest friends on the team, that he wanted to clear the air.

The announcement came on a day the Orioles drew more than 10,000 fans to the Convention Center for FanFest, an annual offseason event attended by Flanagan, Duquette, Perlozzo and more than a dozen players.

Tejada was not in the building, but he was the main topic of conversation.

"I totally believe we're not getting the whole picture from Miggy. He's a great kid, he's always been a great kid," Perlozzo said before the conversation between Duquette and Tejada. "I can't believe the faucet went from on to off just like that."

Perlozzo expressed hope that Tejada would be in attendance at the first full-squad workout on Feb. 21, and now it appears that he will get his wish.

"Sometimes Miggy gets into situations where he says something he doesn't mean and doesn't know how to get out of it. I'm hoping this is that kind of situation," Perlozzo said. "I've got to believe this is going to come out as a positive for the Orioles, one way or another."

The best-case scenario for Baltimore was Tejada backing off his stance and displaying the same enthusiasm that has enabled him to become the team leader in the clubhouse, in the dugout and on the field.

His leadership abilities, as much as his .304 batting average, 26 homers and 98 RBIs, are what make Tejada the Orioles' most valuable player.

"I know he's a little frustrated, but I can't imagine starting the season without Miguel Tejada," pitcher Bruce Chen said. "He's going to be very hard to replace. He's a team leader, a good player. I'm pretty sure he's going to be back. Once spring training starts, I'm sure he'll be OK."

With Tejada playing a key role, the Orioles bolted into first place early in 2005 and stayed atop the AL East deep into June. But Baltimore couldn't keep up the pace and tumbled into fourth place, in part because of injuries and the steroid-related suspension of first baseman Rafael Palmeiro.

It's hard to determine if Tejada's production tailed off because of the collapse, but he batted .277 in August and .264 in September and October. He hit only four homers after July 27.

Losing -- and Palmeiro's suggestion that his positive steroid test might have come from a tainted injection of vitamin B-12 provided by Tejada -- clearly disturbed the shortstop.

His ire became more pronounced this winter after the Toronto Blue Jays fortified their roster while the Orioles were outbid for free agent Paul Konerko, lost free-agent closer B.J. Ryan and failed to add a pitcher to a young starting rotation.

Adding pitching coach Leo Mazzone, catcher Ramon Hernandez, reliever LaTroy Hawkins and first baseman Jeff Conine was not enough to ease Tejada's frustration. But now that Flanagan has a content Tejada on board, he can focus on a different kind of deal.

"It hasn't made us work harder," Flanagan said, "it's made it harder to work."

There's still things the Sox have to figure out.  What will happen with Crede?  What will happen with Contreras?  And to a lesser extent, who is going to be the last guy in the pen?

Those questions should keep this place busy until they're figured out.

1.) Crede will likely be going to arbitration and end up with a one-year deal.

2.) The Sox will probably keep trying to sign Contreras to a contract extension. If he won't sign, I guess they may try to trade him for pitching or just let him play out the year left on his current contract. Possibly trade him at the deadline but I don't see that being probable since we will more than likely be in contention for the division or Wild Card.

3.) Last guy(s) in the bullpen -- Jeff Bajenaru, Arnie Munoz, Tim Redding, Paulino Reynoso, Sean Tracey, or various other non-roster invitees.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 07:06 PM)
1.)  Crede will likely be going to arbitration and end up with a one-year deal.

2.)  The Sox will probably keep trying to sign Contreras to a contract extension.  If he won't sign, I guess they may try to trade him for pitching or just let him play out the year left on his current contract.  Possibly trade him at the deadline but I don't see that being probable since we will more than likely be in contention for the division or Wild Card.

3.)  Last guy(s) in the bullpen -- Jeff Bajenaru, Arnie Munoz, Tim Redding, Paulino Reynoso, Sean Tracey, or various other non-roster invitees.

Yes, those are the most likely scenarios, but we'll have to wait and see.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 07:06 PM)
3.)  Last guy(s) in the bullpen -- Jeff Bajenaru, Arnie Munoz, Tim Redding, Paulino Reynoso, Sean Tracey, or various other non-roster invitees.

Unacceptable to have anymore than one from this group occupy the remaining bullpen positions. If Contreras remains in the rotation and McCarthy in the bullpen, then it's understandable to place one of the above pitchers in the mix. None of them could be expected to improve much (if at all) over Marte of Vizcaino.

Unacceptable to have anymore than one from this group occupy the remaining bullpen positions. If Contreras remains in the rotation and McCarthy in the bullpen, then it's understandable to place one of the above pitchers in the mix. None of them could be expected to improve much (if at all) over Marte of Vizcaino.

I agree with you. One reliever from the list wouldn't be bad but I don't like the idea of two of those guys in our bullpen.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 8, 2006 -> 01:29 AM)
I agree with you.  One reliever from the list wouldn't be bad but I don't like the idea of two of those guys in our bullpen.

I'd rather be in a position where none of those guys are on the roster. One of the main reasons the Sox were so good in close games last year is that there weren't any guys in the pen on the core roster who were legit threats to blow the game whenever they pitch (see Jon Adkins for an example of the opposite).

I'd rather be in a position where none of those guys are on the roster.  One of the main reasons the Sox were so good in close games last year is that there weren't any guys in the pen on the core roster who were legit threats to blow the game whenever they pitch (see Jon Adkins for an example of the opposite).

I would have signed a guy like Chad Bradford. KW must think that these young guys or non-roster invitees can be suitable replacements for Marte and Vizcaino.

QUOTE(That funky motion @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 07:54 PM)
I expect to see Tejada traded on Monday.

I'm not certain whether I believe him either. Although Tejada may simply be tired of the trade discussions and feel Baltimore best suites him. The way I figure, either Baltimore exhausted their attempts to trade Tejada and sweet talked him to remaining quiet, or Baltimore officials have asked him to express satisficaton with the Orioles to regain leverage. Duquette is fooling himself if he believes a "fair and reasonable" return for Tejada is possible.

You know your organization is in disarray when two players (Konerko/Burnitz) accept lower offers to play for other teams. This Tejada situation only magnifies their troubles.

I wanted pitching prospects and up-the-middle prospects for Jose anyway, and this doesn't change that. Give me an A-Ball pitcher or 2 and a very solid up-the-middle guy and I'll be happy. This still doesn't change the fact that I don't want to lose Jose for nothing at the end of 06.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 09:34 PM)
I wanted pitching prospects and up-the-middle prospects for Jose anyway, and this doesn't change that.  Give me an A-Ball pitcher or 2 and a very solid up-the-middle guy and I'll be happy.  This still doesn't change the fact that I don't want to lose Jose for nothing at the end of 06.

Dodgers are apparently talking to Weaver about a long term deal. Hopefully a mystery team emerges and satisfies Boras' demand of 40/4. It amazes me the Dodgers are unwilling to forsake one or two prospects, perhaps a reliever, for Contreras. Honestly, is signing Jeff Weaver to a ridiculous contract a better alternative? It's irritating how a team with pitching as a organizational strength refuses to trade any.

If Dodgers remain a holdout, I wouldn't mind igniting talks with Houston.

Melvin Mora saved the day...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...6010701166.html

All that changed at about 4:30 p.m., when Duquette received a phone call from Mora, who said he had Tejada on the other line. On a three-way phone call, Tejada voiced his desire to stay.

It was Mora who facilitated the conversation. Mora said he speaks with Tejada on a daily basis and recently the shortstop had expressed his desire to stay, but had not voiced it to the front office.

"I told him he needed to resolve this problem," Mora said.

Mora again spoke with Tejada on Saturday afternoon and the two agreed to speak with Duquette. Mora, with Tejada on the other line, called Duquette. It was Duquette and Tejada who spoke, while Mora simply listened. Tejada initially wanted Mora to inform the team of his desire to stay, but the third baseman declined, telling his teammate, "I don't want to say anything and then tomorrow you change your mind and make me look bad."

It's bulls***. Why exactly would he want to stay on the Orioles again? I doubt someone changes their mind that quickly, considering no siginifcant moves had been done since Tejada first complained.

It should be fun when Baltimore tanks around the beginning of summer.

Orioles VP Jim Duquette said he began informing teams Saturday night that Miguel Tejada was no longer going to be traded.

Before Tejada said he'd stay on Saturday afternoon, the Orioles held several preliminary talks with Manny Ramirez's agent to discuss the parameters of an extension, according to the Washington Post. Also, the Baltimore Sun is reporting that the Astros offered Brad Lidge, Brandon Backe and Adam Everett for Tejada.

Source:  Washington Post

That Astros offer is interesting. How about Contreras for Lidge and Backe? I would do that deal in a second. We get a stud closer and a decent young starter. The Astros probably wouldn't do this deal though.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 8, 2006 -> 03:14 AM)
That Astros offer is interesting.  How about Contreras for Lidge and Backe?  I would do that deal in a second.  We get a stud closer and a decent young starter.

You almost have to be leary of why Lidge is included. Sounds too good to be true. Why exactly would the Astros feel it's necessary to trade a young, cheap, effective (playoffs nonwithstanding) closer for Tejada? Backe as well. Watching him against us you'd swear the Astros would be insane to trade him.

Are they that desperate for offense?

You almost have to be leary of why Lidge is included. Sounds too good to be true. Why exactly would the Astros feel it's necessary to trade a young, cheap, effective (playoffs nonwithstanding) closer for Tejada? Backe as well. Watching him against us you'd swear the Astros would be insane to trade him.

Are they that desperate for offense?

The Astros' offense was horrible last year, just like ours, so I would say yes. Backe is good but he really isn't as good as he looked against us. Backe dominated the Sox because our lineup sucked against right-handers with good sliders like fathom has stated numerous times. We had too many righties in our lineup who suck against sliders low and away. It's one of the reasons KW added two lefties in Thome and Mackowiak.

I was just being greedy anyways. If Lidge could show that he wasn't still bothered by his arm problems in the minors, I would trade Contreras straight up for him. He is one of the best closers in baseball and has nasty stuff. Of course, projected future arm problems could be the reason that the Astros are willing to dangle Lidge as trade-bait.