Abreu rumor

BigSqwert

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And your future earnings are reduced by the interest rate you are paying, which is exactly what has gotten teams like Florida and Arizona into trouble.  That is exactly why the Sox are a contender every year, and those teams are contenders for a couple of years, and then sell the farm to dwell in the cellar when they are so far in debt that they are forced to make cutbacks.  You can't operate at a deficit every year forever.  Eventually the IRS either won't let you take losses anymore, or you have to file for bankruptcy.  This isn't the US government we are talking about here, it is a business.  The money has to come from somewhere.

If you're satisfied with just contending...that's fine for you. I'm not.

I want at least 1 more championship. I don't care if we suck in 2010, especially if we repeat, three-peat, etc.

Heres the basics Steve. Any team in the MLB can buy any player. Its possible for them all to go into debt and buy every player they want. Is it a smart move? No. Is it possible, yes. Of course for the next ten years they will be putting a last place team on the field in order to cut costs and pay back the deficit cause by their bad business decision. The White Sox simply will not do this. Our budget is already topped off. You should consider the fact that we wont add more payroll, and try and find a more creative way to add Abreu as an argument. Otherwise you are just appearing to know nothing about business basics, and the operations of a baseball team.

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 04:31 PM)

I want at least 1 more championship. I don't care if we suck in 2010, especially if we repeat, three-peat, etc.

Hmm, didnt realize that Abreu was the missing piece on a team that won the world series and already added a 200 inning pitcher, one of the best left handed bats in the game, and a super-utilityman.

You are right, Kenny hasnt done enough to win it all. :headshake

Hmm, didnt realize that Abreu was the missing piece on a team that won the world series and already added a 200 inning pitcher, one of the best left handed bats in the game,  and a super-utilityman.

You are right, Kenny hasnt done enough to win it all. :headshake

You can always do more!

Rock...I have forgotten more than you'll EVER know. I can guarantee you that.

I am not advocating putting the Sox in debt...let's just use up more of the PROFITS to give us the best chance of defending our crown.

Oh, oh, oh, nominated for post of the month!

wait, no green? you are serious?

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 03:31 PM)

I am not advocating putting the Sox in debt...let's just use up more of the PROFITS to give us the best chance of defending our crown.

Its a good thing you edited your post, because at least we can skip over your claim to senility. Seconly, it has already been posted that they have increased the payroll to accomodate the profits. In fact they have made this a rule for the last several years, and thats why our payroll went up over 30 million dollars.

I would prefer the Sox to not trade for Abreu and remain at least somewhat financially flexible during the season if holes need to be filled. Picking up Abreu's contract not only busts the budget, but pretty much would paralyze KW if he wanted to make an in-season move that would be taking on money.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 03:37 PM)
I would prefer the Sox to not trade for Abreu and remain at least somewhat financially flexible during the season if holes need to be filled. Picking up Abreu's contract not only busts the budget, but pretty much would paralyze KW if he wanted to make an in-season move that would be taking on money.

And would almost guarantee Mark Buehrle pitching for the St Louis Cards in the future.

Its a good thing you edited your post, because at least we can skip over your claim to senility.  Seconly, it has already been posted that they have increased the payroll to accomodate the profits.  In fact they have made this a rule for the last several years, and thats why our payroll went up over 30 million dollars.

I stand by what I said about my intelligence. I am an attorney. (My I.Q. is in the high 130s.) I have brokered multi-million dollar deals.

Most of all, I am intelligent enough to know that there is NO way Jerry and his co-investors have only split even over the years. That is preposterous.

And therein you are contradicting yourself. Unless you are willing to pay the price for deficit spending, you shouldn't advocate it. If the Sox had followed Floridas example and spent WAY over their means for a couple of years to win a World Series sooner or later they would be looking at a major payroll meltdown. That isn't a could be statement, it is a certianty. You are telling me that you are not willing for the Sox to have any down years, yet you want them to be World Champs every year. They give themselves a better chance every year at the World Series by contending. MLB has proven time and again that you can't contend with a $35 million payroll, and if the Sox go to a $120 million payroll for 2 seasons at their current estimated profitablity that is exactly what they would be looking at in 2 years. Plus it doesn't guarentee that they would win anything. Tell me what the Yankees have to show for their $200 million payroll? They have been the highest payroll for almost a decade straight and haven't won a damned thing since the turn of the century.

Plus we heard this crap that people spewed about if the Sox won a WS they wouldn't care anymore, well guess what... these same people who just doubled our season ticket base, will be the first ones off of the bandwagon if the Sox go to last place finish because they are in debt and traded off everyone.

And finally, don't think that no one else noticed how the arguement has changed when you got proven wrong, not once, but twice. It went from you knowing how rich the Sox owners were, to me not being as big of a fan as you. Interesting huh? I am still waiting for those figures showing that the Sox ownership is making a ton of cash off of this team.

Show me proof of the profits that the Sox are not investing. not capital gains either, profits.

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 04:42 PM)
I stand by what I said about my intelligence. I am an attorney. (My I.Q. is in the high 130s.) I have brokered multi-million dollar deals.

Most of all, I am intelligent enough to know that there is NO way Jerry and his co-investors have only split even over the years. That is preposterous.

Really? Im the pope, nice to meet you.

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 04:42 PM)

Now I know you are full of it. Would you care to back down, or would you like to be proven wrong again.

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 03:42 PM)

too....much...ammo......

Well I already have you beat in IQ and deal size. If you would like to race a couple of laps around the loop we can do that as well.

Companies that over extended themselves do not last at a high level. Jerry and his investors are better businessmen than you, how do I know that? THEY OWN THE FREAKIN WHITE SOX.

Back to your original point which has since been twisted due to your lack of sources. Why wont the white sox expand their payroll beyond their means to pick up Bobby Abreu: Because they wont. They have already increased payroll by almost 50 percent of last year's, its not plausible for it to increase much more. If you can miraculously pull some numbers out of your ass, please post them. Being that you are this "big attorney" you should have some subscriptions to D&B, Hoovers, Forbes etc. Its not that hard to find out some figures.

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 04:52 PM)
You guys are not giving MR. Reinsdorf and the other investors enough credit.

These are astute, brilliant businessmen; they are not going to run a business entity with the sole purpose of breaking even. That's absolutely ludicrous.

Well they sure as s*** dont run it to lose money.