Abreu rumor

BigSqwert

A gold glove means absolutely nothing to me, not to mention the fact that he won it in RF. If he were acquired that would mean he'd probably start in LF and Pods in CF. Anytime you have Pods playing CF your defense is going to struggle.

Easy for you to say the Sox can afford him just fine. Somehow I doubt they'd want to go over $100M for next season and all indications from sources say that this is a correct assumption.

I don't know the final figures, but the Sox made a s***tload of money in 2005.

They have more than doubled their season ticket fan base.

They have to had made millions on world series related sales.

They cannot be hurting for money.

(I hate when rich people "cry poor"!)

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 02:38 PM)

have you ever operated on a budget in your life? Just because you made X amount this year, this month, this day, it doesnt mean you will make the same amount next year, next month, next day. A 95 million dollar payroll is far from crying poor. The Sox moved from a mid-level budget to an upper-level budget in one season, and you want them to mortgage even more of tomorrows money to another player. What happens if there is an injury(God forbid)? The Sox have no wiggle room because everything is spoken for. I would be happy if they didnt stick Abreu in left field and see what they have in Contreras, at least he is moveable if he doesnt work out.

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 02:38 PM)

More than doubled? :bang

Also, I'm pretty sure that teams share merchandising revenue. :bang

What else do you got?

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 02:53 PM)
More than doubled?  :bang

Also, I'm pretty sure that teams share merchandising revenue.  :bang

What else do you got?

I dont know, but it seems he might be a few marbles short.... :ph34r: :ph34r:

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 11:39 AM)
1. We'd be adding a Gold Glove.

2. It's not YOUR money! The Sox can more than afford to add Abreu!

s***, lets get Palmiero, he won a gold glove too!!!!

Its called a budget, look into it.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 01:58 PM)
s***, lets get Palmiero, he won a gold glove too!!!!

Its called a budget, look into it.

Phillie Phodder

Phillies GM Pat Gillickcontinues to make it clear that he's looking for a top-of-the-rotation arm to fortify his pitching staff. However, he's not the only GM looking for pitching, and the available field is thin. Officials from around the majors say that the pitching-rich Chicago White Sox would deal righthander Jose Contreras, who pitched brilliantly for that team in the second half of 2005. There are indications that the White Sox like Bobby Abreu but would have trouble taking on his salary as their payroll has climbed about $20 million and is closing in on $95 million

Rock,

Its funny that people forget we have a budget, it seems that even though the White Sox like Abreu and have something to trade for it, they are a bit gunshy. Why could this be. Is it the fact that this isnt monopoly money. Could it be that there really is a budget. I like Abreu and all. The only way this deal gets done is if money comes back. The only way money comes back is if we send more talent. Maybe KW does get this done, who knows. But as it sits right now. Money would be a problem in the long run if we aquired Abreau without some relief.

Why the hell does everyone here care about the White Sox being on a budget? Is it their money?

If the Sox go out and get Abreu, are you going to say "Well, now that they went over their proposed budget, I am pissed off!"??

I don't get it. Who cares if the Sox go over the budget? That shouldn't really be our concern at all. If they can do it, then I say do it. If they can't, then the case is moot anyway.

Edited by rcpweiner

QUOTE(rcpweiner @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 02:26 PM)
Why the hell does everyone here care about the White Sox being on a budget? Is it their money?

If the Sox go out and get Abreu, are you going to say "Well, now that they went over their proposed budget, I am pissed off!"??

I don't get it. Who cares if the Sox go over the budget? That shouldn't really be our concern at all. If they can do it, then I say do it. If they can't, then the case is mute anyway.

You will care next year when we cant resign Buerhle because we have no money. We are not the yankees. We dont draw 3 million plus a year every year. We dont have unlimited funds. Eventually you have to pay the piper.

have you ever operated on a budget in your life?   Just because you made X amount this year, this month, this day, it doesnt mean you will make the same amount next year, next month, next day.   A 95 million dollar payroll is far from crying poor.    The Sox moved from a mid-level budget to an upper-level budget in one season, and you want them to mortgage even more of tomorrows money to another player.   What happens if there is an injury(God forbid)?   The Sox have no wiggle room because everything is spoken for.   I would be happy if they didnt stick Abreu in left field and see what they have in Contreras, at least he is moveable if he doesnt work out.

Operating on a budget means not spending more than you have. The Sox are FAR from spending more than they have or make.

Edited by Steve Bartman's my idol

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 01:28 PM)
You will care next year when we cant resign Buerhle because we have no money.  We are not the yankees. We dont draw 3 million plus a year every year.  We dont have unlimited funds.  Eventually you have to pay the piper.

So, does that mean if the deal goes down as proposed, you are going to be calling for Kenny's head?

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 02:32 PM)
Operating on a budget means not spending more than you have. The Sox are FAR from spending more than they have or make.

So what do you think is a budget that they could get away with. Give us a number.

QUOTE(rcpweiner @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 02:32 PM)
So, does that mean if the deal goes down as proposed, you are going to be calling for Kenny's head?

I dont see how you draw the conclusion that I will be calling for his head based on what I posted.

I just stated that if we take on funds in certain areas we will have to balance the equation.

Bulls***, operating on a budget means working on a total sum of money allocated for a certain purpose. The White Sox are a business, owned and operated by business men. When they go and set up a budget for this business they set a certain amount of money that may be spent on payroll for the year, this figure is usually relative and can be bent but it is there. Kenny Williams has to work within this budget and this means spending money wisely and just throwing it around and saying f*** it we made a s*** load of money last year obviously we can afford to add another $15M onto the payroll. All indications are that the Sox have now reached or are near their max payroll for the time being and cannot add on anymore money wether or not they made a good amount last year.

Ok captain no source.

Considering your posts, its evident that you do not work in the business forum, nor have any relevant education relating to an operating budget. So I will state this as obvious as possible, so to not confuse you. The members of the board who run the sox are businessmen. They decide what is a good number of money for the team to spend per year. Some of that money is under a category called payroll. The board and its chief officer decided this year to expand our payroll by almost 30 million dollars. This was the number they deemed to be a decent risk considering our profit this year. Of course, since teams rarely repeat winning the world series, we have to take into account that this year, we may make less money, and the year after that, even less. To run a successful business you have to balance risk, with potential reward. They have examined these factors and determined our budget for this year. The aquisition of Abreu would put us over this number, so therefor we cannot aquire his salary.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 02:36 PM)
According to Brooks Boyer, they have gone from a 10K base to over 20K. I think that constitutes "double".

(I wasn't a math major!)

Thats obvious enough.

Kal, I like our redundant posts, you were just faster than I.

I read an article that stated Abreu is owed $31 million the next 2 seasons, and has an $18 million option for 2008 which he wants picked up in order to waive his no trade clause. $49 million for 3 years of Abreu? I don't see KW going for that. Forget about Abreu, HE WILL NOT BE COMING HERE.

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 03:32 PM)

Got any historical or otherwise sources for that? I have the annual Forbes reports which have shown year, after year, after year, after year, that whatever profit the Sox make in one year, the payroll goes up by that amount the next year. If they post a loss, the payroll gets cut by that amount. Look it up. If you have a better source than a World reknowned financial magazine who does analysis of the worlds biggest companies, please let me know.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 02:43 PM)
I read an article that stated Abreu is owed $31 million the next 2 seasons, and has an $18 million option for 2008 which he wants picked up in order to waive his no trade clause. $49 million for 3 years of Abreu? I don't see KW going for that. Forget about Abreu, HE WILL NOT BE COMING HERE.

It's $28M over the next 2 years and a $16M bonus.

Still that's $44M for an aging Abreu who showed signs of slowing down in the second half of last year.

Let's add 1 more detail to this budget talk...it may very well be possible for the White Sox to operate in a deficit for 1 year or more. However, we're not talking about just putting a couch on a credit card here...we're talking about multiple millions of dollars in deficits. You don't get those credit lines all that easy...you have to offer something up. The ownership of the White Sox is in a place where their main assets are the White Sox (and the Bulls of course)...they don't just necessarily have a lot of cash lying around to cover operating in a $10-$20 million hole year after year after year.

If they were to take out some sort of loan to allow for improvements of the team this year, using some share of their equity in the team...at some point, they would have to find a way to pay that loan back, unless they had more significant cash reserves than I know about. That basically means that in order to try to win even more this year...they'd have to be willing to cut costs in the future. But if they cut costs significantly in the future to pay back the expenditures from today...then through the cost-cutting, they may very well destroy some of the growth of the fan base accomplished by the winning.

Operating in a deficit is practical if you have large cash reserves to finance the deficit, and you expect revenues to grow in the future to the point where they would be able to cover both the increased costs and the repayment of the debt...which simply can't happen here, as the stadium is only so big. We're not talking about a government here which can simply print money.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 02:44 PM)
Got any historical or otherwise sources for that?  I have the annual Forbes reports which have shown year, after year, after year, after year, that whatever profit the Sox make in one year, the payroll goes up by that amount the next year.  If they post a loss, the payroll gets cut by that amount.  Look it up.  If you have a better source than a World reknowned financial magazine who does analysis of the worlds biggest companies, please let me know.

And the Post King steps in with a royal owning.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 02:46 PM)
cash reserves to finance the deficit, and you expect revenues to grow in the future to the point where they would be able to cover both the increased costs and the repayment of the debt...which simply can't happen here, as the stadium is only so big.  We're not talking about a government here which can simply print money.

And there is a HUGE point. After this year, the odds are the revenue wont grow so much that we can afford to payback a deficit. Considering we just won our first world series title in 88 years, its safe to say that we shouldnt expect another one. Meaning that this year could very well be our most profitable in years. But that also means that eventually the revenue stream will go back down a bit.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 02:44 PM)
Got any historical or otherwise sources for that?  I have the annual Forbes reports which have shown year, after year, after year, after year, that whatever profit the Sox make in one year, the payroll goes up by that amount the next year.  If they post a loss, the payroll gets cut by that amount.  Look it up.  If you have a better source than a World reknowned financial magazine who does analysis of the worlds biggest companies, please let me know.

I would like him to post what he thinks the budget max range is? He keeps stating that we can spend more. How much is more. Is it unlimited? The Forbes report has been a great resource on looking at how the Sox spend there money. Its pretty much on the spot as far as how the budget flexes. I wish we had unlimited funds, but it isnt the case.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 02:46 PM)
Let's add 1 more detail to this budget talk...it may very well be possible for the White Sox to operate in a deficit for 1 year or more.  However, we're not talking about just putting a couch on a credit card here...we're talking about multiple millions of dollars in deficits.  You don't get those credit lines all that easy...you have to offer something up.  The ownership of the White Sox is in a place where their main assets are the White Sox (and the Bulls of course)...they don't just necessarily have a lot of cash lying around to cover operating in a $10-$20 million hole year after year after year.

If they were to take out some sort of loan to allow for improvements of the team this year, using some share of their equity in the team...at some point, they would have to find a way to pay that loan back, unless they had more significant cash reserves than I know about.  That basically means that in order to try to win even more this year...they'd have to be willing to cut costs in the future.  But if they cut costs significantly in the future to pay back the expenditures from today...then through the cost-cutting, they may very well destroy some of the growth of the fan base accomplished by the winning.

Operating in a deficit is practical if you have large cash reserves to finance the deficit, and you expect revenues to grow in the future to the point where they would be able to cover both the increased costs and the repayment of the debt...which simply can't happen here, as the stadium is only so big.  We're not talking about a government here which can simply print money.

I really doubt the Sox would take on a huge contract like Abreu's. They owe Garland a ton of money and if he reverts to his previous form this season, won't ever be able to trade him without taking on a huge portion of his contract. Abreu's a great player, but he's really not a fit right now with the White Sox. Maybe if the guy was a natural CF, but he's not so it would require moving Pods to CF which is not a good thing. That plus the money he is owed, especially if picking up the option year is required like I read would mean the Sox would have a tough time signing Buerhle when his contract is up, no matter how many fans the Sox draw.