Vince Young will turn pro

Longhorns junior quarterback Vince Young will declare for the NFL draft at a 4 p.m. news conference Sunday, his godmother told The Dallas Morning News.

Young and his mother, Felicia, met with Young's pastor, Samuel H. Smith, in Houston on Sunday before making the decision, Yolande Levine told The Morning News

According to Levine, Young was on his way to Austin to tell Texas coach Mack Brown his decision to go pro.

"After that performance in the Rose Bowl, I think we all kind of knew which way he was going to go," Levine told the newspaper.

Team and league sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that the Texans will pass on Young, a Houston native, and select USC running back Reggie Bush with the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft, pending the formality of Bush announcing that he is turning pro.

Almost nothing will change that course, the sources told Mortensen.

The Texans will pick up an $8 million option on quarterback David Carr, who was the expansion team's first draft pick four years ago. Texans owner Bob McNair made the decision after getting extensive evaluations from various sources that strongly endorsed Carr, including a favorable report from Dan Reeves, the former longtime NFL coach hired last month as a consultant.

USC's Matt Leinart, who could have been the first pick a year ago had he turned pro after his junior season, still remains the consensus top quarterback in the NFL draft, even if Young comes out. For Leinart, he is likely to be the choice of the New Orleans Saints at No. 2 with Young projected to the Tennessee Titans at No. 3.

Steve McNair, who has been mentoring Young, including a visit to watch the Rose Bowl, will be lobbying the Titans to select Young with the third pick, Mortensen reported. Of course, McNair has to re-sign with the Titans for that to happen.

Leinart also would be desirable to Tennessee, where his former USC offensive coordinator Norm Chow is now calling plays for the Titans.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2284744

If anyone actually thought he was coming back, they were crazy. There was no way he'd pass on the hype be built for himself in the Rose Bowl.

He probably learned from Leinart. He stayed to get another shot at the National Championship, and he lost in the championship game. Now, he might not even go in the top 5 (not sure about the draft order and what those teams will need) when he was an obvious #1 last year.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jan 8, 2006 -> 02:46 PM)
Or when he goes...

15-20, 200 YDS, 2 TD

150 rushing yards, 2 TD

If he went to a team with an insanely gifted offensive line, like the one he has been cushioned with in college, then yea. But since he likely won't get picked to a team with a line, I find those numbers highly unlikely.

QUOTE(AssHatSoxFan @ Jan 8, 2006 -> 03:00 PM)
remember who is at Tennessee now Norm Chow who coached Leinart at USC so I think he might rather have him

Tennessee doesn't really have a choice, since they pick after the Saints. They will end up taking whichever QB the Saints don't pick.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jan 8, 2006 -> 12:08 PM)
Tennessee doesn't really have a choice, since they pick after the Saints.  They will end up taking whichever QB the Saints don't pick.

If for some reason the Saints pass on a QB (can't see that happening) than Chow is gonna push for Leinart but if McNair is back he will be pushing and pulling for Young.

Make him a WR/QB until McNair retires

Unfortunately, that didn't help Kordell's QB development, and I wouldn't do that to a guy like Vince who needs a QB coach to polish up his motion and reads immediately. Vince would flourish in a place like New Orleans, with Deuce in the backfield, and Horn/Stallworth out wide, that offense would be a better version of Atlanta's attack. Not to mention the large NO fanbase from Texas.

I honestly don't see a chance of Reggie Bush/Vince Young being the top 2 picks in this draft, no matter who is making the selection. Scouts will be in for a treat when they see Bush, Vince, and Mario Williams do their thing in the combines.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jan 8, 2006 -> 02:17 PM)
Unfortunately, that didn't help Kordell's QB development, and I wouldn't do that to a guy like Vince who needs a QB coach to polish up his motion and reads immediately. Vince would flourish in a place like New Orleans, with Deuce in the backfield, and Horn/Stallworth out wide, that offense would be a better version of Atlanta's attack. Not to mention the large NO fanbase from Texas.

I honestly don't see a chance of Reggie Bush/Vince Young being the top 2 picks in this draft, no matter who is making the selection. Scouts will be in for a treat when they see Bush, Vince, and Mario Williams do their thing in the combines.

Yeah Tennessee wouldn't have to worry probably. I just hope they don't pick Leinart, I don't think the guy will turn out that well.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jan 8, 2006 -> 12:17 PM)

Ya, thats seriously the last thing I would do. You need to let Vince make adjustments and if you plan on using as a QB, dont 'have him messing with other stuff, just focus on the QB position.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 8, 2006 -> 12:49 PM)
Im standing by my Vince Young will be drafted by the Houston Texans.

For all we know the Texans are trying to get some one to trade up to take Bush so they can slide down and take Young.

Id rather have Young than any other offensive player in the draft.

Well, naturally we haven't seen all the workouts and everything yet, but at least yesterday, the line leaking out of Texas was that they were going to keep David Carr and go with Reggie Bush regardless of whether or not Young comes out. I'm not sure that's a bad decision either. Carr at least has talent, but he's never been paired with anything that can keep the pass rush off of him.

I have never seen anything like Vince Young. He is fast as hell, he is big, he is one of the best runners I have ever seen, he has a solid arm, he has an accurate arm, and he seems to almost always only make small throws.

The kid is special as hell, and will make some team very happy they took him 5 years from now.