College

Spod=Ratings

ok i will be off to College this Fall, and I'm having a hard time deciding which one to go to. I have been accepted to both SIU's, Northern Illinois, and Columbia College in Chicago. Just wondering to any of you who attend or have attended there what are your thoughts on the college. Did you like your experience or what?

my suggestion is to look at the criteria for degrees and see which one has the broadest class options. Personally, I went to Elmhurst College, which is a private liberal arts college, and I have a degree in psychology, but the College encourages you to take a lot courses in different areas. I loved that opportunity to study many areas.

QUOTE(Spod=Ratings @ Jan 8, 2006 -> 04:10 PM)
ok i will be off to College this Fall, and  I'm having a hard time deciding which one to go to. I have been accepted to both SIU's, Northern Illinois, and Columbia College in Chicago. Just wondering to any of you who attend or have attended there what are your thoughts on the college. Did you like your experience or what?

College is overrated, but personally I would go for either NIU or Columbia College.

QUOTE(Nokona @ Jan 8, 2006 -> 02:35 PM)
NIU-Business.

Col - Artsy stuff.

SIU - Alcoholism.

I'd x SIU off the list personally but thats just me.

No offense to anybody who went to SIU, but they don't have a good academic reputation (although, IIRC, their forestry program is excellent). Unless you're getting a significant amount of scholarship money from SIU, I agree with the above poster.

Pick the school with the best program in your major.

wow wow, first decide if you'd like to go to a city school or a podunk college town, because both have their disadvantages/advantages. City schools have less diversity in students (goal/attitude wise not ethnicity wise) and the travel and housing are sometimes rough, but the shows, experience, city, job opportunities and bars are a huge plus. Money = issue.

podunk college towns - more different types of people. Everything revolves around the college, you can beat the s*** out of everything and get away with a lot more...you have to visits college to understand this one i guess.

then once you decide that...NIU has a couple of advantages IMO, i had two brothers go there...one, the Div 1A sports, two, the business school, and three, its close to home but far enough where you feel like you haven't gone anywhere, and its growing as a city and getting more restaurants and walmarts and such.

SIU is fun as hell for parties..that's all i know.

EIU is a school i don't know s*** about

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jan 8, 2006 -> 03:58 PM)
No offense to anybody who went to SIU, but they don't have a good academic reputation (although, IIRC, their forestry program is excellent).  Unless you're getting a significant amount of scholarship money from SIU, I agree with the above poster.

Pick the school with the best program in your major.

SIU is actually the best school in the state if you want to go into journalism or broadcasting and that's why I'm there right now. I enjoy it and I'm not a heavy drinker so there is other stuff to do.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 12:39 AM)
SIU is actually the best school in the state if you want to go into journalism or broadcasting and that's why I'm there right now.  I enjoy it and I'm not a heavy drinker so there is other stuff to do.

Thats what i want to go in as. Are you talking about Carbondale?

QUOTE(Nokona @ Jan 8, 2006 -> 03:35 PM)
NIU-Business.

Col - Artsy stuff.

SIU - Alcoholism.

I'd x SIU off the list personally but thats just me.

You obviously didn't go to SIU. The student life there is probably no different than anyother school.

10 stupid sophmores and freshmen cause s*** one night and the whole university gets a reputation.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 8, 2006 -> 11:39 PM)
SIU is actually the best school in the state if you want to go into journalism or broadcasting and that's why I'm there right now.  I enjoy it and I'm not a heavy drinker so there is other stuff to do.

A better journalism program than U of I? Did not know that.

If it's the best school in one's major, that certainly changes things.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 09:16 AM)
A better journalism program than U of I?  Did not know that.

If it's the best school in one's major, that certainly changes things.

I've heard different things, because I too am looking into journalism and am planning on going to U of I or Grand Valley State. Both fit me well, but I think I can play D2 club hockey at U of I so I may choose there.

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 09:45 PM)
I've heard different things, because I too am looking into journalism and am planning on going to U of I or Grand Valley State.  Both fit me well, but I think I can play D2 club hockey at U of I so I may choose there.

MISSOURI!

Yeah, for those looking at Journalism, look at Missouri. One of the top Journalism schools around, and, IIRC, it's pretty cheap for an out of state school. Also IIRC, someone from this board went there last year, can't remember who though. They can probably shed some light on Mizzou.

I'm not sure how hard it is to get into Mizzou's Journalism program though. I thought that you can get into it as long as you are regularly accepted, but I might be wrong.

Edited by farmteam

QUOTE(farmteam @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 10:42 PM)
Yeah, for those looking at Journalism, look at Missouri.  One of the top Journalism schools around, and, IIRC, it's pretty cheap for an out of state school.  Also IIRC, someone from this board went there last year, can't remember who though.  They can probably shed some light on Mizzou.

I'm not sure how hard it is to get into Mizzou's Journalism program though.  I thought that you can get into it as long as you are regularly accepted, but I might be wrong.

i go to missouri for journalism

I'll shed light...

Its 16.5 i believe for out of state...but they have pretty attainable scholarships for out of states, both my friends got the 2500 scholarship, i got the 5500, making it a bit of a jump from U of I but my dad said we could handle it.

The Journalism school IIRC is automatic admission if you scored a 26 in your english on your ACT. I got in automatically through that which is cool because if you are prejournalism you have to be on top of things to get in. a 3.0 might not even do it.

Now, the good. We have an NBC affiliate channel for our training in the journalism school. We have a NPR station for our training in the journalism school. We have the town newspaper (The Missourian) for our training in the missouri school. Depending on your sequence, you will WORK in those (not paid of course) where you will be more than prepared for the work force. We are currently ranked #1 in the country for journalism and are actively recruited post school, although sometimes the job placements through the school aren't the best.

We are also first with the "convergence" major, and, i don't know that much about it...but they feel pretty strongly that this is the future in media...its a chance but the kids that are in it have the opportunity to get great jobs right away.

As for socially, i'm somewhat disappointed, they REALLY do card here. Except for tequila's. But, to get tehre you need a car. PLUS, off campus housing is rather far, meaning the only parties are greek, or east campus, where the cops just sit and break up parties within an hour. ON the other hand, i've met a ton of cool people and i've had GREAT professors who, in spite of the large numbers in my frosh classes, took the time to get to know me.

I'm very happy with this school as they also have many programs to try and get you out in 4 years...which if you head to U of I, it is a concern you might be there for 5...and that was consideration my dad also took. I have to get out in 4 or else i pay for my 5th...and i'm confident i can do it. I'm in news editorial, if you have any questions you can pm me or ask here i'll be looking for it.

And i guess the greek thing won't be a problem for you being a dave fan :D

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 10:54 PM)
Bmags, I will probably be going there next year or Northwestern.  What advice can you give?

I hope my above post helped

to be honest NW and Mizzou are 1a 1b for journalism...your thoughts there would be price and atmosphere.

I will tell you that mizzou is not that diverse ethnically, but does have kids from all over, so there are myriad different personalities.

PLus, we have the best rec center in the country and i'm very happy with our dorms.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 05:00 PM)
The Journalism school IIRC is automatic admission if you scored a 26 in your english on your ACT. I got in automatically through that which is cool because if you are prejournalism you have to be on top of things to get in. a 3.0 might not even do it.

Hm. So are you saying that if I hypothetically had like a 2.0 GPA (I don't, thank heavens), but got a 26 or higher on the ACT I automatically am admitted to the school of journalism at Mizzou?