College

Spod=Ratings

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 11:17 PM)
How do you watch Sox games? Or do you?  Also, the above posts helped a lot.  Thanks.

well, i watched all the summer games and april games...the few that were on WGN and there was a series with KC i saw...i also "recieved" an account for MLB.tv and i saw the september games, which nearly gave me an ulcer...i think my posting shot way down in september haha...

then the playoffs were on TV...

QUOTE(farmteam @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 11:25 PM)
Hm.  So are you saying that if I hypothetically had like a 2.0 GPA (I don't, thank heavens), but got a 26 or higher on the ACT I automatically am admitted to the school of journalism at Mizzou?

If you are admitted to missouri...and frankly, with a 2.0 gpa good luck... but if you scored a 26 or higher in your ENGLISH on your act...yes you are in...but there may have been a gpa but i don't think so...there may havebeen a class rank...like top 50 or something...i'm not sure. I just remember 26 and i think that was it.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 05:27 PM)
If you are admitted to missouri...and frankly, with a 2.0 gpa good luck... but if you scored a 26 or higher in your ENGLISH on your act...yes you are in...but there may have been a gpa but i don't think so...there may havebeen a class rank...like top 50 or something...i'm not sure. I just remember 26 and i think that was it.

Ha, well it's a good thing I don't have a 2.0 GPA.

QUOTE(farmteam @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 11:29 PM)
Ha, well it's a good thing I don't have a 2.0 GPA.

i agree...missouri's admissions weren't that tough i thought when i saw them...2.0 wouldn't get you in but if you applied early...the mid 50 for act was like 24 and class percentage like top 40...

I'm going to SIU in Edwardsville for pre-pharmacy, People tell me that the campus in Edwarsville is different from the one in Carbondale. I heard it has more of suburban feel to it. my dad and my cousin both went to the Carbondale campus and both liked so I guess college is what you make of it. If you want to part your going to party if you want to learn you are going to learn,

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 02:45 PM)
I've heard different things, because I too am looking into journalism and am planning on going to U of I or Grand Valley State.  Both fit me well, but I think I can play D2 club hockey at U of I so I may choose there.

If all other things are equal, pick the school with the higher overall degree of academic prestige. As you'll see later, employers favor job candidates with the more impressive academic "pedigree."

Question for Missouri folks:

How hard is it for Freshman to get their first choice of dorms? Like, do Freshman ever get into the newer/ones with suites (Discovery, Respect, Responsibility, Excellene), or are those reserved for upperclassmen? Not terribly important, just curious, really.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jan 8, 2006 -> 09:58 PM)
No offense to anybody who went to SIU, but they don't have a good academic reputation (although, IIRC, their forestry program is excellent).  Unless you're getting a significant amount of scholarship money from SIU, I agree with the above poster.

Pick the school with the best program in your major.

Who the hell picks a college because of academics????

QUOTE(farmteam @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 04:50 AM)
Question for Missouri folks:

How hard is it for Freshman to get their first choice of dorms?  Like, do Freshman ever get into the newer/ones with suites (Discovery, Respect, Responsibility, Excellene), or are those reserved for upperclassmen?  Not terribly important, just curious, really.

they tore down their s***ties dorm and are replacing it with a nicer one...

i know a lot of frosh in the excellence respect...blah etc. dorms, i think that if you rank it one you have a pretty good chance but remember that it is like 3 grand more a semester i think.maybe 2 more. I got all my first choices, A/C, open over breaks...and i'm more than happy with the size of my room.

However, you don't get to pick what dorm yhou want, you pick what characteristics of the dorm you want...but if you put Suite as number one, you'd prolly get it. I got cramer and i'm happy with it. Also, kids are lots of times grouped with your major...Journalism kids are in Twain, defoe, cramer, business kids are in hatch, ...rollins? i unno..but you see where i'm goin with htis

That makes a lot of sense.

I just seem to have a lot of random questions about Missouri (it's where I'm most interested in), so I hope I'm not overwhelming you.

What's the sports atmosphere like? Like, are there loud student sections at football and basketball games?

Thanks for answering all my questions!

Edited by farmteam

QUOTE(farmteam @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 04:04 AM)
That makes a lot of sense.

I just seem to have a lot of random questions about Missouri (it's where I'm most interested in), so I hope I'm not overwhelming you.

What's the sports atmosphere like?  Like, are there loud student sections at football and basketball games?

Thanks for answering all my questions!

sports atmosphere for football = disappointing...to be fair they have an awesome sports package that for 200 bucks i got tickets for every single game (volleyball, football, basketball, baseball, blah!) and the football games were fun, but very long and the crowd sometimes i think doesn't cheer that well. Haven't been to a bball game yet because it didn't match up well with test days.

:headshake i'm stunned at the amount of stereotypes thrown at SIU in this thread. I attended SIU from 1987-1991 and worked andlived in carbondale for about 7 years after that.

I'm not sure who said it in the thread but SIU and the "party school" rep has been dead for many years. They started killing off Halloween and the 'celebration" back in '88 and it was well dead when i left southern illinois in '98. The age to get into bars has been raised to 21 back in late 90's (though it may be back down now).

Like any college, it has it's majors that it is known for and some majors you wouldn't want to go there for. Radio-television is well respected around the country..as is their avaition program and their dentistry program. Also, SIU's nursing program is highly respected..though i think that might be at Edwardsville now.

During my stint there a friend of mine made a pact to party at all the major campuses in illinois in one school year. so we got to see them all....U of I...WIU....EIU..Illinois State..Bradley...NIU. Back then Illinois state was a cesspool, and U of I was cutting down every tree and bush on campus in order not to give the rapist that was going around at the time anything to hide behind. NIU was nice and i don't remember anything being memorable about the others.

If your looking at schools for Recreation possibilities...SIU can't be beat with things like the Giant City State Park...the Spillway....Little Grassy Lake..and other things to do. The fact that it almost always has a few weeks in Feb and March where it'll get in the 70's is a bonus.

You can party at any school if you want to...but to say SIU is a party school is saddly wrong :headshake

Edited by juddling