bmac's role this year

thedoctor

so far we have had plenty of discussions about the possibility of bmac either going to the pen as a reliever, or being inserted as the fifth starter if the count was dealt.

assuming contreras stays, what would you like bmac's role to be this year? long reliever, spot starter, sixth starter? essentially what do you think would be the best way to use him to help the team as well as help his personal development as a player.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jan 8, 2006 -> 05:01 PM)
so far we have had plenty of discussions about the possibility of bmac either going to the pen as a reliever, or being inserted as the fifth starter if the count was dealt.

assuming contreras stays, what would you like bmac's role to be this year? long reliever, spot starter, sixth starter? essentially what do you think would be the best way to use him to help the team as well as help his personal development as a player.

There will never be six starters unless pitchers start that in the minors. It screws up the timing of guys who are used to 5 days. There is no question he will be there for long relief and spot starts.

QUOTE(G&T @ Jan 8, 2006 -> 08:26 PM)
There will never be six starters unless pitchers start that in the minors. It screws up the timing of guys who are used to 5 days. There is no question he will be there for long relief and spot starts.

That is somewhat of a myth, because a pitcher never gets the exact same amount of days off. It is normally 4 or 5 days off, with a few 6 day stretches. Here is Buerhle's rest from 2005:

4 days off x 16 games (4 losses and 3 bad starts with ND)

5 days off x 13 games (4 losses and 1 bad start with ND)

6 days off x 3 games (3-0)

Try to figure out which one is better for him. Since 6 is too small of a sample size you can throw that one out, but you could make a case for giving him 5 days off with a couple of 6 days off once a month or so.

Each pitcher is different and some prefer the same amount of rest off, but I don't think there is too much difference between 4 days and 5 days off.

So I can imagine B-Mac being plugged into a lot of spots when there are only 4 days off for the starting 5. That would give all of them more 5 day rests. So based off of Mark's rest numbers from 2005, B-Mac would get around 16 starts, and then be used as long relief when he is not starting to keep his arm fresh. If his is dominating in a few of those starts and someone else is struggling, I can see them moving the other to the bullpen.

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jan 8, 2006 -> 08:10 PM)
That is somewhat of a myth, because a pitcher never gets the exact same amount of days off.  It is normally 4 or 5 days off, with a few 6 day stretches.  Here is Buerhle's rest from 2005:

4 days off x 16 games (4 losses and 3 bad starts with ND)

5 days off    x 13 games (4 losses and 1 bad start with ND)

6 days off x 3 games (3-0)

Try to figure out which one is better for him.  Since 6 is too small of a sample size you can throw that one out, but you could make a case for giving him 5 days off with a couple of 6 days off once a month or so.

Each pitcher is different and some prefer the same amount of rest off, but I don't think there is too much difference between 4 days and 5 days off. 

So I can imagine B-Mac being plugged into a lot of spots when there are only 4 days off for the starting 5.  That would give all of them more 5 day rests.  So based off of Mark's rest numbers from 2005, B-Mac would get around 16 starts, and then be used as long relief when he is not starting to keep his arm fresh.  If his is dominating in a few of those starts and someone else is struggling, I can see them moving the other to the bullpen.

i even think the 4 days rest and 5 days rest are too small of a sample size....3 bad outings vs. 1 is simply to small of numbers to have meaning...at least standing by tehmselves....for example it could have happened that he had those bad starts against the yankees etc.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jan 8, 2006 -> 09:10 PM)
That is somewhat of a myth, because a pitcher never gets the exact same amount of days off.  It is normally 4 or 5 days off, with a few 6 day stretches.  Here is Buerhle's rest from 2005:

I base what I say on what Steve Stone says. Plus, a few 6 day rests isn't the same as mostly 6 day rests and some 7 day.

QUOTE(TheDudeAbides @ Jan 8, 2006 -> 05:39 PM)
Didnt kenny say there would be a six-man rotation? If not, def. a spot starter or long relief

Kenny has at least suggested it's a possible way to get some extra rest for the guys who pitch in the WBC. But as people (buehrle) start pulling out of that, it is starting to seem like less of a worry.