Selling a house

jasonxctf

Comissions can go anywhere from the full 6% (3 of which goes to the listing agent and 3 of which goes to the selling agent) and can be lower.

Typically I'd say if you did it for 4% your doing pretty good with the listing agent taking 1.5 and the selling agent at 2.5%.

However this is based on my experience in California and I'm sure comission prices vary by area. If the homes are less expensive than my guess is the full 3% (at least for the selling agent) is standard. Also, if your listing the house with the same agent that helps find you a new house, typically than you can do it where the listing agent gets 1% cause they will also get around 2.5-3% when they find a new house for you.

Hope that helps. It made sense when I wrote it, but who knows if it makes sense when ya read it.

Although I've never sold a house on my own, we did buy our house directly from an owner. All that you need to sell it on your own is a means of advertising your home, a basic contract (which you amend as necessary) from Home Depot or any website carrying contracts (I think the couple we bought from said they spent $45 on the contract), and a closing agent which the buyer is typically responsible for providing.

Selling on your own may scare some buyers away and lead to your house being on the market longer, you've just got to gauge the market. At the same time, some folks may find a "for sale by owner" enticing being the 3-6% the owner is saving in realty costs could be negotiable in the sale price.

If you're not in a rush, I wouldn't see the harm in throwing it up on the market yourself and, if after a few months you receive no interest, then fork out the 3-6% to take advantage of the experience and networking power of a real estate agent.

As a buyer, I was very comfortable dealing directly with the seller. Negotiations were simple and honest, I had a direct contact any time a question popped into my head, and got first hand accounts of what the neighbors/neighborhood were like prior to buying.

Whatever you choose, good luck.