Slackhawks make it a perfect 10

http://www.nhl.com/scores/recaps/624_2_recap.html

LMFAO!!!! 5-1 spanking at the hands of the Preds at home. Looks to me like they're throwing another season away in search of a high pick. If they're not then they should be.

I would just love to call out all the kool aid drinkers who trashed me at the beginning of the season for saying they were gonna suck this year but thats just too easy. I will say one thing though...........

KAP, I dont take checks.

:D

There's a lot of blame to go around.

Yawney seems to have little or no system to speak of. The players seem to scramble a LOT.

Tallon picks up total money-wasters like Matthew Barnaby.

Wirtz continues to run the team like it's a "members-only" country club, alienating the few people who still give half a f***.

Plus, their new "face of the franchise" can't stay healthy and their marquee free-agent pickup struggles early to dig them a hole, then gets injured himself.

This team is a complete mess right now, and I'm not sure firing Yawney would do anything to turn it around. The next coach would still be stuck with fourth-liners on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th lines.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 10:02 AM)
This team is a complete mess right now, and I'm not sure firing Yawney would do anything to turn it around. The next coach would still be stuck with fourth-liners on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th lines.

Well said. This is exactly how its been though, and I think Sutter got the most out of the team. Arnason doesnt play hard and fails to do anything defensively, and I see why Sutter had Arnies back against a barroom wall. f*** it, bring back Mike Keenan!!

Can I say "Wait til next year"?

I'll still go to games. I actually enjoyed going to the Vancouver game, watched Ruutu have one helluva night, and enjoyed watching Yakubov finally get a shot. Plus, if you don't like watching Morrison/Bertuzzi/Naslund work, then I have to question you a bit...

Time to play the young kids. Vorobiev and Yakubov need to be up here for the rest of the year, regardless of how bad they are on defense. Tallon needs to tell Yawney that Babchuk/Keith/Seabrook need to be in the lineup every night -- preferably Barinka as well.

Trade whoever has value, outside of your 'core' players. At this point, on offense, your 'core' players are Calder and Ruutu. Maybe Bell.

Oh, and Barnaby can stay too, because he does his job -- he's good at being a b**** on the ice. I can stand him.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 10:02 AM)

Well said. This is exactly how its been though, and I think Sutter got the most out of the team. Arnason doesnt play hard and fails to do anything defensively, and I see why Sutter had Arnies back against a barroom wall. f*** it, bring back Mike Keenan!!

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 04:19 PM)
Can I say "Wait til next year"?

I'll still go to games.  I actually enjoyed going to the Vancouver game, watched Ruutu have one helluva night, and enjoyed watching Yakubov finally get a shot.  Plus, if you don't like watching Morrison/Bertuzzi/Naslund work, then I have to question you a bit...

Time to play the young kids.  Vorobiev and Yakubov need to be up here for the rest of the year, regardless of how bad they are on defense.  Tallon needs to tell Yawney that Babchuk/Keith/Seabrook need to be in the lineup every night -- preferably Barinka as well. 

Trade whoever has value, outside of your 'core' players.  At this point, on offense, your 'core' players are Calder and Ruutu.  Maybe Bell. 

Oh, and Barnaby can stay too, because he does his job -- he's good at being a b**** on the ice.  I can stand him.

Seabrook is hurt.

Latest News Jan. 8, 2006 - 8:22 am et

Brent Seabrook has begun skating.

Sseabrook has missed the last seven games with the Hawks due to a knee injury. It is still unknown when he will return as he has yet to practice with the team. Keep him reserved for now.

Source: Chicago Sun-Times

Edited by sayitaintso

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 10:21 PM)
Seabrook is hurt.

I know that. Should've clarified. The initial injury was 4-6 weeks, so I assume he should begin skating in the next two weeks.

I like watching Seabrook. He makes his mistakes, and is still not strong enough to handle some of the top NHLers, but he looks like he could be a good one. I'm hoping to see more of the same from Barker next year.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 04:33 PM)
Whats so troubling about the whole situation is that when Hawk fans talk about keeping the "core" together, they bring up names like Bell, Calder, and Ruutu.

Are these guys really "Core" players to build around? Bell looks like to be an alright two liner, Calder can bang in the garbage goal, and to be dead honest, I really dont know what Ruutu is going to turn out to be. I really dont see Ruutu putting in 40 goals like people said. If Roots can put in 30 goals, and get 100 PIMs, I would say he is a solid center, and could play on the 1st line, maybe.

Just a very scary and sad situation going on at the UC.

For both teams that play there, but the bulls have won their last 2 games!

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 10:33 PM)
Whats so troubling about the whole situation is that when Hawk fans talk about keeping the "core" together, they bring up names like Bell, Calder, and Ruutu.

Are these guys really "Core" players to build around? Bell looks like to be an alright two liner, Calder can bang in the garbage goal, and to be dead honest, I really dont know what Ruutu is going to turn out to be. I really dont see Ruutu putting in 40 goals like people said. If Roots can put in 30 goals, and get 100 PIMs, I would say he is a solid center, and could play on the 1st line, maybe.

I'm not sure what to think of Bell at this point. He seems like a very streaky player. Even with his streakiness, however, he's still one of the best Hawk forwards (I know -- not saying much).

Calder is a reason I still come and watch these guys play. It's hard to find a whole lot of guys better than Calder at getting the puck in the corner. He'd have more results if he had some friggin' talent, but, like Tom has been saying for weeks, this team is mostly 'grit' (guys like Lapointe and Dowd and Brown -- suckass players) and no to little skill.

Ruutu, if healthy, is going to be one helluva player. Of course, that 'if healthy' is becoming like saying, "If Mark Prior is healthy, blah blah blah" or "If Rex Grossman is healthy, blah blah blah". He's only 22 years old, so you can look at that two ways -- he's 22, and has already had knee & back problems, or, the optimistic view of, he's got time to get healthy. His better years are ahead of him. This latest injury, BTW, is nothing more than a fluke in my mind -- any player taking a blade to the leg is going to get a deep cut, and do major damage.

Truthfully, the 'core' of the Hawks are the guys in juniors. Barker, Bolland, Skille (UofW), Bertram (sp?), Blunden. Hell, if the Hawks tank this year (which, at this point, I'm hoping for), maybe we'll get a little luck in landing Kessel. Of course, it always seems like the Hawks end up screwing up just enough to lose the 'best player available sweepstakes' -- 2004, they end up with the third pick, after the first two were consensus picks (Malkin and Ovechkin), and from there, it was question marks (I'm happy with Barker, however). 2005, Brule, IIRC, went fifth -- he's in the NHL now. It seems like, again, the top five or so were consensus picks, and the Hawks got sixth (or seventh).

I'm not saying the Hawks deserve luck -- they don't, especially an organization run by Wirtz. But it'd be nice to be able to land one of those 'superstar' type picks, which, really, is what the Hawks are missing right now.

QUOTE(Pierzynski 12 @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 05:44 PM)
Yea excellent time to be screwing with the Hawks.I don't find this funny one bit.

what does that even mean?

I loosely follow this team and it's obvious somethign serious needs to be done ASAP.