Howard's First Day on Sirius

tonyho7476

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 09:12 PM)
Howard will be back on terrestrial radio within a year, Sirius selling next-day reruns to stations across the country.

Book that.

Not a chance. Stern signed a 5 year contract with SIRIUS. Only way he ends up ANYWHERE other than SIRIUS is if SIRIUS goes belly up.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 03:50 PM)
3. Big Ten Football games

SIRIUS carries over 120 colleges in 19 conferences, including Army, Navy, Alabama, Auburn, Colorado, Florida, Iowa State, Kansas, LSU, Louisville, Michigan, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Pennsylvania, Syracuse, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, UCLA, USC, and West Virginia. That argument is moot.

QUOTE(CubKilla @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 12:58 AM)
Not a chance. Stern signed a 5 year contract with SIRIUS. Only way he ends up ANYWHERE other than SIRIUS is if SIRIUS goes belly up.

And SIRIUS having the contract with Howard Stern would have the right to sell that show to other radio stations on a tape delayed basis. Which I'm willing to wager is a good possibility to see in the next year.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 01:13 PM)
How many does XM have? I heard 6 million but that was from another person so it could be wrong.

yeah, because they are giving it away for free, like crazy. I guarantee those numbers are quite inflated. People are not keeping the service after the free 3 month subscription.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 01:56 AM)
And SIRIUS having the contract with Howard Stern would have the right to sell that show to other radio stations on a tape delayed basis. Which I'm willing to wager is a good possibility to see in the next year.

That will NOT happen. If you want his show, you'll need to get Sirius. Why are you in this thread? Its clear you are a hater.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 09:49 AM)
That will NOT happen.  If you want his show, you'll need to get Sirius.  Why are you in this thread?  Its clear you are a hater.

LOL, hater of Howard or Sirius?

BTW, Rex spent most of his career in radio.

What I think wil happen is you will be able to get Howard raw and uncensored via Sirius and on a tape delayed and edited version via "regular" radio at some point in the future after they have used him to drive subscription and equipment sales.

And I didn't see where someone had to like Howard to offer an opinion.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 09:48 AM)
yeah, because they are giving it away for free, like crazy.  I guarantee those numbers are quite inflated.  People are not keeping the service after the free 3 month subscription.

It almost sounds like you're an XM hater which is your opinion. I don't hate Sirius but since I got an XM for Christmas I'm not going to get a Sirius right away.

They are fighting for brand loyalty. A XM v. Sirius world is far better for them then having multiple competitors. So like Coke v. Pepsi, the advertsing needs to create that fierce brand loyalty, and in a couple cases, it seems to be working.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 11:01 AM)
LOL, hater of Howard or Sirius?

BTW, Rex spent most of his career in radio.

What I think wil happen is you will be able to get Howard raw and uncensored via Sirius and on a tape delayed and edited version via "regular" radio at some point in the future after they have used him to drive subscription and equipment sales.

And I didn't see where someone had to like Howard to offer an opinion.

Well, the thread did start out about howard's first day, then moved off topic and XM and other s*** came up...so then I got these expert opinions.

And since I'm a Howard fantatic....and a Sirius stock holder...I am an XM hater.

Howard ain't going to be on 'old-fashioned, boring' radio...NO.

No you're right, Howard is new-fangled boring radio.

Oh stripper, tell us about your cooter. George Takei likes men? Robin: laughter! Let's make a call where we yell Howard Stern. And now more strippers and maybe a game involving a retarded midget.

Yawn.

I saw it on E! in 1996. Once was enough.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 06:01 PM)
No you're right, Howard is new-fangled boring radio.

Oh stripper, tell us about your cooter. George Takei likes men? Robin: laughter! Let's make a call where we yell Howard Stern. And now more strippers and maybe a game involving a retarded midget.

Yawn.

I saw it on E! in 1996. Once was enough.

Yawn...millions of listeners...yawn....best selling book....yawn...#1 movie...yawn...tv show....yawn...millions more listeners

And apparently you've seen it since 1996...since Takai wasn't on the show then.

I don't think Tonyho and CubKilla understand what Rex is saying about him being back on terrestrial radio. Tex kinda explained it well though. It's not that Stern would be off of Sirius, it's that they would take his show and syndicate it to mainstream radio so that the show you hear on Monday on Sirius is on Tuesday on your regular FM radio.

QUOTE(Spiff @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 08:35 AM)
I don't think Tonyho and CubKilla understand what Rex is saying about him being back on terrestrial radio.  Tex kinda explained it well though.  It's not that Stern would be off of Sirius, it's that they would take his show and syndicate it to mainstream radio so that the show you hear on Monday on Sirius is on Tuesday on your regular FM radio.

I understand...I'm saying its not going to happen. Stern got so sick of having his show shredded by the censors, that he wouldn't allow it to be edited, and put back on old-fashioned radio.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 07:59 AM)
I understand...I'm saying its not going to happen.  Stern got so sick of having his show shredded by the censors, that he wouldn't allow it to be edited, and put back on old-fashioned radio.

I understand your point, Tony, but I disagree.

I think Stern would be OK with "after-the-fact" editing of his show, since he'd have input and control over what gets aired and what gets chopped.

I think the frustration he had was the fact that he had no say whatsoever in the editing process, or even what the criteria was for being clipped.

Plus, it was happening while he was on the air, leading to irate callers complaining that they're hearing chopped-up bits.

I'm sure a taped version of his show on terrestrial radio would find an audience, and I believe Stern's ego is just large enough to want to keep as many listeners in as many arenas as he can.

I think it will definitely happen.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 09:38 AM)
I understand your point, Tony, but I disagree.

I think Stern would be OK with "after-the-fact" editing of his show, since he'd have input and control over what gets aired and what gets chopped.

I think the frustration he had was the fact that he had no say whatsoever in the editing process, or even what the criteria was for being clipped.

Plus, it was happening while he was on the air, leading to irate callers complaining that they're hearing chopped-up bits.

I'm sure a taped version of his show on terrestrial radio would find an audience, and I believe Stern's ego is just large enough to want to keep as many listeners in as many arenas as he can.

I think it will definitely happen.

I stand by my statement...this isn't happening. If you want Stern, you need to get Sirius.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 11:39 AM)
I stand opposed to your statement.

:P  :D

and I don't so I won't.

Your loss :P

Actually, I've listened to him since about '95 and I just find that he brightens up my morning. I have laughed more this week, then I have in a while. And to those people who say its nothing but stippers, and toilet humor are wrong. It reminds me of the Cub fans who say Comiskey is in a bad neighborhood. You don't know what you are talking about.

And of course, to each his own. From my estimation, he has gotten $2.5 million subscribers to sign up. Not many people have that dedicated of a fan base.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 07:59 AM)
I understand...I'm saying its not going to happen.  Stern got so sick of having his show shredded by the censors, that he wouldn't allow it to be edited, and put back on old-fashioned radio.

How much of that was a ploy for higher ratings? The more he complained, the higher the ratings. Once people get over the snickering laughs of "he said f***" he will lose the shock and then he'll have to work.

On terrestrial radio he had an antogonist to rally against, we'll see who he picks next.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 11:51 AM)
How much of that was a ploy for higher ratings? The more he complained, the higher the ratings. Once people get over the snickering laughs of "he said f***" he will lose the shock and then he'll have to work.

On terrestrial radio he had an antogonist to rally against, we'll see who he picks next.

He's not Mancow...the show is real. The swearing is pretty low on the show. That is not the draw to the show. The guy got fined for reading a transcript of Oprah Winfrey's show. So the show was getting watered down. Just look at all the bulls*** with regular tv. The people getting all worked up over the TO Monday night bit. come on. Are you one of the 'worked up' people Tex? The religious right, shove our bulls*** down your throat, kind of people?

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 12:04 PM)
Did he do that before or after Letterman did it?  I hadn't heard that one before...

i don't know what lettermen did.

Stern read a transcript of a show Oprah did, where she openly discussed sex and sexual diseases. But then Howard got in trouble for it.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 11:02 AM)
He's not Mancow...the show is real.  The swearing is pretty low on the show.  That is not the draw to the show.  The guy got fined for reading a transcript of Oprah Winfrey's show.  So the show was getting watered down.  Just look at all the bulls*** with regular tv.  The people getting all worked up over the TO Monday night bit.  come on.  Are you one of the 'worked up' people Tex?  The religious right, shove our bulls*** down your throat, kind of people?

Notice that all entertainment, once a taboo is dropped, has to reach for another level. When Laura Petri wore pants on TV, it was a first, and the ratings spiked to see if she would be wearing them that week. When it became old hat, they needed more. Video games, movies, music, they all have to keep pushing some boundry.

Stern created an "us against them" fervor with his listeners, great for ratings. You're a perfect example. You will defend Howard against anything. You do realize he is just an entertainer? You are great for his pocket book. You are a missionary for Howard. You will try and convert anyone and everyone to buy Sirius and tune into Stern. He has tapped into the foxhole mentality. You have become a Stern salesperson. That is the area is is most brilliant at.

And I am not trying to shove anything down your throat, but you seem hell bent on pushing Stern down everyone's throat.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 12:11 PM)
Notice that all entertainment, once a taboo is dropped, has to reach for another level. When Laura Petri wore pants on TV, it was a first, and the ratings spiked to see if she would be wearing them that week. When it became old hat, they needed more. Video games, movies, music, they all have to keep pushing some boundry.

Stern created an "us against them" fervor with his listeners, great for ratings. You're a perfect example. You will defend Howard against anything. You do realize he is just an entertainer? You are great for his pocket book. You are a missionary for Howard. You will try and convert anyone and everyone to buy Sirius and tune into Stern. He has tapped into the foxhole mentality. You have become a Stern salesperson. That is the area is is most brilliant at.

And I am not trying to shove anything down your throat, but you seem hell bent on pushing Stern down everyone's throat.

Hellbent?...cause I started a thread to see what people thought of his first day? You're the ones wandering in here, not sticking to the topic.

I find the show enjoyable, and since Janet Jackson showed her nasty tit, the religious cooks have been coming out of the woodwork, helping to bring his show down. And I've watched how things are in this country. When I hear congressmen talking about finding a way to censor pay radio/tv, I can only think that they are wiping their ass with the constitution.

And I didn't say you were shoving anything down my throat, I asked if you were one of those people...religious right, shove God down my throat, kind of people. It was just a question.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 11:06 AM)
i don't know what lettermen did.

Stern read a transcript of a show Oprah did, where she openly discussed sex and sexual diseases.  But then Howard got in trouble for it.

Incorrect. It was a detailed description of a blowjob game being performed by schoolkids.

Sleepy, I think it was before but I'm not sure. Regardless, DL nor the affiliate was fined.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 12:18 PM)
Incorrect. It was a detailed description of a blowjob game being performed by schoolkids.

Sleepy, I think it was before but I'm not sure. Regardless, DL nor the affiliate was fined.

Was Stern fined? That was my understanding. Or was the threat of a fine, what clear channel used to drop him?