Howard's First Day on Sirius

tonyho7476

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 11:18 AM)
Hellbent?...cause I started a thread to see what people thought of his first day?  You're the ones wandering in here, not sticking to the topic.

I find the show enjoyable, and since Janet Jackson showed her nasty tit, the religious cooks have been coming out of the woodwork, helping to bring his show down.  And I've watched how things are in this country.  When I hear congressmen talking about finding a way to censor pay radio/tv, I can only think that they are wiping their ass with the constitution.

And I didn't say you were shoving anything down my throat, I asked if you were one of those people...religious right, shove God down my throat, kind of people.  It was just a question.

No I am not. But you wanted to discuss Howard's show and I believe all the comments have been on topic. The exception is you want a "let's blow Stern's dick, and everybody say he's the greatest" thread. When someone suggested he could be on terrestrial radio again, on some basis, you argued the point. When someone suggests that he's going to have to get past the "we are being persecuted" you argue. I get the fact that you think Sterns is the greatest person on earth. You do agree that fans like you are great for Stern and Sirius? It's him and you baby, fighting the man.

Now about the constitution. Quick examples, you cannot yell fire in a crowded auditorium, you can't say on an airplane, I have a bomb. Terrestrial radiowaves are publically owned. No where in the constitution does it say that you can say anything you want at any time. Are you one of those non religious pervert kooks that wants to shout about blow jobs in my kid's ears?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 11:20 AM)
Was Stern fined?  That was my understanding.  Or was the threat of a fine, what clear channel used to drop him?

To be honest with you.. now that I am thinking about it, I don't recall that he ever actually read it.

I do know that incident didn't have anything to do with CC dropping him. He was dropped for comments made during an interview with Rick Salomon (the guy that had the sex tape with Paris Hilton).

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 11:30 AM)
There's a timely reference.

showing how far back this goes. The early days of radio had some of the same taboos. Photography went the same path. You can connect the dots far back. Howard is standing on the shoulders of many people before him. Pushing the envelope is easy, Howard has talent beyond just pushing the envelope, now he will have to develop it more. People will tune in for a while because of the buzz, to hear his real show, to hear what he couldn't say before, etc. His challenge will be to keep those listeners who are tuning in for perhaps the first time. Just like the Sox will be working overtime to keep those new fans that have just found out there are two teams in Chicago.

Howard's show won't be syndicated to the Fm dial because, as it currently stands, broadcasters are subject to be personally fined for indecency. So, even if he edited his Sirius shows, complaints from the watchdog groups that hounded him would leave him open to being fined again. I don't see him allowing that to happen.

Also, it doesn't make much sense for Sirius to allow one of their only marketable shows to effectively compete against their product. I'd listen to Howard on one day delay. I already got the show 1-3 hours later living in Chicago and Arizona. It was never live for me.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 12:29 PM)
No I am not. But you wanted to discuss Howard's show and I believe all the comments have been on topic. The exception is you want a "let's blow Stern's dick, and everybody say he's the greatest" thread. When someone suggested he could be on terrestrial radio again, on some basis, you argued the point. When someone suggests that he's going to have to get past the "we are being persecuted" you argue. I get the fact that you think Sterns is the greatest person on earth. You do agree that fans like you are great for Stern and Sirius? It's him and you baby, fighting the man.

Now about the constitution. Quick examples, you cannot yell fire in a crowded auditorium, you can't say on an airplane, I have a bomb. Terrestrial radiowaves are publically owned. No where in the constitution does it say that you can say anything you want at any time. Are you one of those non religious pervert kooks that wants to shout about blow jobs in my kid's ears?

I said PAY radio. I choose to pay for a service. As far as I'm concerned, they have no right to touch it. Its the same with cable/satellite tv.

And don't resort to my scumbag level...by using those crude words...the novelty will wear off...'Blow Stern's dick'...for shame.

And if your kids are listening to stern, then work on your parenting.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 11:42 AM)
Out of f***ing line.

Thanks Steff.

Despite how it was written, I agree with him to a point. Stern is bad for kids, I'm glad that Tony realizes it. However, I was refering to terrestrial radio. BTW, does Sirius come with any parental controls or ways to block the signal?

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 12:47 PM)
Then I apologize.

Not necessary, I realize how you read it and a correction was needed.

And as much as people think I'm blowing Stern...is as much as I am sticking up for myself. Just like I do when people knock my White Sox...or other things I like, I feel attacked. Not that I am being attacked...but I can feel that way.

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 12:38 PM)
Howard's show won't be syndicated to the Fm dial because, as it currently stands, broadcasters are subject to be personally fined for indecency.  So, even if he edited his Sirius shows, complaints from the watchdog groups that hounded him would leave him open to being fined again.  I don't see him allowing that to happen.

Also, it doesn't make much sense for Sirius to allow one of their only marketable shows to effectively compete against their product.  I'd listen to Howard on one day delay.  I already got the show 1-3 hours later living in Chicago and Arizona.  It was never live for me.

Stations in large markets could sell Howard so they kept him, fines be damned. If they didn't, Infinity radio would have s*** canned Stern and made him sit out his contract from the day he signed with Sirius.

In a year, when everyone but Sirius listeners forget about Stern, he'll be back on radio - on a day delay, edited down and most likely not at all a controversy.

Stern got dropped by Clear Channel because Infinity charged ridiculous amounts of money to clear him from market to market, and the sales of his show locally were not performing as well as they thought it could. So it made sense to use the ruse of fines as a pretext from dropping the show.

In Grand Rapids, carrying Stern cost over $300,000 a year plus adspace to Infinity radio. In Tampa, it's a safe bet that the cost was more than a half mil. Plus adspace.

It's simple economics. You could get a morning team in Tampa for under 250, and have all 16 minutes an hour of commercials to sell, rather than the 10 or 12 you got with Stern. So you might be charging 450 or 400 a minute rather than 500 at first for the new morning show. Your overall profitabilitywould increase potentially because even though you may be charging 20% less per commercial, you have 25% more capacity and a 50% reduction in operating expenses. And much less controversy.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 11:49 AM)
Not necessary, I realize how you read it and a correction was needed.

And as much as people think I'm blowing Stern...is as much as I am sticking up for myself.  Just like I do when people knock my White Sox...or other things I like, I feel attacked.  Not that I am being attacked...but I can feel that way.

And that is my biggest point, you can't seperate Howard from yourself. This is his greatest talent. It is his listeners vs. the world. Brilliant. greatest.radio.marketing.ever I truly am impressed by what he has done to create that.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 12:50 PM)
Stations in large markets could sell Howard so they kept him, fines be damned. If they didn't, Infinity radio would have s*** canned Stern and made him sit out his contract from the day he signed with Sirius.

You also have a biased opinion, since you work in radio...or so someone said. not saying what you said was wrong or whatever.

Sirius isn't only about Stern...its about all the great programming they have. I'm sorry, but the radio here in Chicago sucks. The rock channels are horrible, except maybe the Loop. With Sirius, I have 20 choices. *blowing howard and sirius again* I just think people who can afford it, find it awesome. Its not about the F-word...and all that.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 12:52 PM)
And that is my biggest point, you can't seperate Howard from yourself. This is his greatest talent. It is his listeners vs. the world. Brilliant. greatest.radio.marketing.ever I truly am impressed by what he has done to create that.

You don't get mad if people attack the Sox? See, it could be different for you. Here, I have to deal with Cub fan friends, co-workers, etc. And we all know that gets heated. Why? Because it is usually taken personally. Should it be? Probably not.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 12:58 PM)
Due to last weeks events I haven't even gotten a chance to listen to one minute of the show. But I am looking forward to it.

I really laughed a ton this week. George Takai is the announcer, and was in studio all week. He was a roit. Everyone calling in said how great he was. He'll make occassional appearances, since he lives in Cali. But he will be taping stuff regularly.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 11:55 AM)
You also have a biased opinion, since you work in radio...or so someone said.  not saying what you said was wrong or whatever.

Sirius isn't only about Stern...its about all the great programming they have.  I'm sorry, but the radio here in Chicago sucks.  The rock channels are horrible, except maybe the Loop.  With Sirius, I have 20 choices.  *blowing howard and sirius again*  I just think people who can afford it, find it awesome.  Its not about the F-word...and all that.

All opinions are biased.

Sirius and XM will each create unique or niche programming that may or may not attract a given market segement. They both will do well. I think there bigger market is not around the big cities but in small markets like this that has 1 rock station, 1 easy listening, etc.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 01:00 PM)
All opinions are biased.

Sirius and XM will each create unique or niche programming that may or may not attract a given market segement. They both will do well. I think there bigger market is not around the big cities but in small markets like this that has 1 rock station, 1 easy listening, etc.

Yeah, howard had calls from Alaska, Montana, Iowa...and these people love the radio, since now they have all this programing, in the middle of nowhere.

Sirius I think got the first big crowd drawer. XM is great too...the draw between the two is the premium programming. Most of the music choices are pretty similar.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 12:00 PM)

I have both and enjoy both for different reasons.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 11:58 AM)
You don't get mad if people attack the Sox?  See, it could be different for you.  Here, I have to deal with Cub fan friends, co-workers, etc.  And we all know that gets heated.  Why?  Because it is usually taken personally.  Should it be?  Probably not.

Show me an attack? He might be back on terrestrial radio is an attack? That he will have find a way to keep the audience that will tune in to hear what others are talking about? That's not an attack. I mentioned he had talent beyond just pushing envelopes, and would have to really develop that more. I mentioned he has the greatest marketing in radio. I'm failing to see an attack.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 12:03 PM)
Yeah, howard had calls from Alaska, Montana, Iowa...and these people love the radio, since now they have all this programing, in the middle of nowhere.

Sirius I think got the first big crowd drawer.  XM is great too...the draw between the two is the premium programming.  Most of the music choices are pretty similar.

I think they both had huge drawers. XM with MLB (giving away free radio's helped also) and Sirius with Stern. Time will tell obviously.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 01:03 PM)
Show me an attack? He might be back on terrestrial radio is an attack? That he will have  find a way to keep the audience that will tune in to hear what others are talking about? That's not an attack. I mentioned he had talent beyond just pushing envelopes, and would have to really develop that more. I mentioned he has the greatest marketing in radio. I'm failing to see an attack.

Its the comments intertwined...and not necesarily from you. I make too many generalizations that related to the thread. As soon as Rex says Howard Who? I know I have someone posting in the thread who is not interested...and I anxiously await what they say next. I never claimed to be rational.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 01:04 PM)
I think they both had huge drawers. XM with MLB (giving away free radio's helped also) and Sirius with Stern. Time will tell obviously.

I agree...MLB is the best sports draw...I don't see Sirius' sports as much of a draw. Baseball is the best radio sport, if you can't tune in live.

I think stern's base has shown how die-hard they are. They had about 200,000 new subscriptions come through in the couple days before Stern started.