Judge Samuel Alito's confirmation hearing

YASNY

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 01:19 AM)
"Actually I voted against Roe v. Wade before I voted for it."

"Samuel Alito. Whichever way the wind blows"

Damn. For some reason, that quote reminded me of John Kerry.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dick Durbin asked Alito this morning if he considered Roe to be the "Settled law" of the land. Justice Roberts used that phrase to describe Roe. Alito called it an important precedent, but did not agree that it was "Settled Law." I'd like to read that full exchange when the full quote becomes available somewhere just so I can read his full response on that one.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 09:34 AM)
Why does this all have to be about "bait and switch"?  And I mean that both of the questioners and the answerer...

I think that comes about because of this stupid rule where the nominee is allowed to claim that he won't talk about business that might come before the court while he's on it. If you could just come out and ask a guy how he would rule on a hypothetical, that would make this vastly easier, but instead, we're left with all these little word games which try to get answers to exactly those sorts of questions without really asking them.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 05:39 PM)
I think that comes about because of this stupid rule where the nominee is allowed to claim that he won't talk about business that might come before the court while he's on it.  If you could just come out and ask a guy how he would rule on a hypothetical, that would make this vastly easier, but instead, we're left with all these little word games which try to get answers to exactly those sorts of questions without really asking them.

Good point... it just drives me crazy. And unfortunately, it's in all politics.

Iraq and WMD's

The definition of "is"

"No New Taxes"

etc.

BREAKING: Specter Stonewalls on Concerned Alumni of Princeton Docs

Just now, Sen. Kennedy requested that Judiciary Committee Chairman Arlen Specter issue a subpoena to the Library of Congress for documents related to the right-wing group Concerned Alumni of Princeton, of which Alito was a member. The documents contain “clipping files, background information, correspondence and memoranda, financial records, fund-raising material, lists of supporters, minutes of meetings, issues and other items.” The documents are critical because Alito now claims he can’t remember anything about his involvement with the group.

Specter refused to rule on the request, claiming it’s the first time the request had even been made. Actually, Sen. Kennedy sent a letter on December 22 making the request:

It is likely that a formal request for access directly from you on behalf of the Committee would be received with more cooperation than the CRS has received so far, and we urge you to make such a request as soon as possible.

The letter was also reported widely by the Associated Press.

When Kennedy noted that he had sent the letter, Specter replied that there is a big difference between “sending” a letter and someone “receiving” it. He then banged his gavel loudly.

Releasing the documents really has become important, seeing as Alito's conveniently selective amnesia seems to clear up once his past is put under his nose for him to see.

When a critical review of CAP published by an alumni committee that featured alumnus Bill Frist found that the group's "distorted, narrow and hostile view of the University" had "misinformed and even alarmed many alumni" and "undoubtedly generated adverse national publicity," then maybe we can understand why his membership in the group was something he flaunted for Ed Meese but hid during all his other job interviews.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 11:39 AM)
I think that comes about because of this stupid rule where the nominee is allowed to claim that he won't talk about business that might come before the court while he's on it.  If you could just come out and ask a guy how he would rule on a hypothetical, that would make this vastly easier, but instead, we're left with all these little word games which try to get answers to exactly those sorts of questions without really asking them.

I believe that "stupid rule" is called the Ginsberg rule.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 01:24 PM)
Releasing the documents really has become important, seeing as Alito's conveniently selective amnesia seems to clear up once his past is put under his nose for him to see.

When a critical review of CAP published by an alumni committee that featured alumnus Bill Frist found that the group's "distorted, narrow and hostile view of the University" had "misinformed and even alarmed many alumni" and "undoubtedly generated adverse national publicity," then maybe we can understand why his membership in the group was something he flaunted for Ed Meese but hid during all his other job interviews.

Supposedly, the New York Times has gone through the specific boxes Kennedy wants subpeoned and found nothing directly applicable to Alito. I saw the exchange between Kennedy and Specter. That piece you quoted makes Specter come across as the heavy, but it looked more Kennedy was trying to throw his substantial weight (political, not literal) around to me.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 01:43 PM)
there is good reason for that rule

a judge shouldn't already know how he will rule a case before he hears it.

Exactly!!!! Which is what Ginsberg, Roberts and now Alito keep trying to tell these senators.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 01:24 PM)

David Kirkpatrick of the New York Times has already seen them and there seems to be nothing there:

Mr. Morgan's memorandum and other records of Concerned Alumni are contained at the Library of Congress in the papers of William A. Rusher, a leader of the group and a former publisher of National Review.

Those records and others at Mudd Library at Princeton give no indication that Judge Alito, who sits on the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, was among the group's major donors. He was not an active leader of the group, and two of his classmates who were involved and Mr. Rusher said they did not remember his playing a role. :sweep: :sweep:

QUOTE(Cknolls @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 02:04 PM)
David Kirkpatrick of the New York Times has already seen them and there seems to be nothing there:

Mr. Morgan's memorandum and other records of Concerned Alumni are contained at the Library of Congress in the papers of William A. Rusher, a leader of the group and a former publisher of National Review.

Those records and others at Mudd Library at Princeton give no indication that Judge Alito, who sits on the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, was among the group's major donors. He was not an active leader of the group, and two of his classmates who were involved and Mr. Rusher said they did not remember his playing a role. :sweep:  :sweep:

In other words, Kennedy is being a blowhard.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 02:06 PM)
In other words, Kennedy is being a blowhard.

The Spectator’s Prowler has sources who report this:

According to Senate Judiciary sources, Sen. Ted Kennedy this morning was informed that a number of media outlets - including the New York Times, as well as both Democratic and Republican staff from the committee - had reviewed a wealth of documents related to Concerned Alumni of Princeton and that there was no evidence that Supreme Court nominee Judge Samuel Alito played a major role personally or financially in the organization at any time. This information was passed to Kennedy after he raised the issue of possibly requesting a subpoena for all of CAPs documents before he entered the hearing room for the third day of confirmation hearings. “We told him we’d gone through it, and that seemed to be the end of it,” says a committee staffer. So big surprise that despite knowing what he needs to know, Kennedy decided to simply create a few moments of entertaining political theater for the nightly news.

:huh :huh :huh

30 fricking years ago - on an application. Who here would want to sit in front of Congress answering some lame ass question about this kind of stuff? And before I get the "well, it's important" pure bulls*** answer, no, it's not. If you think it is, get over yourselves.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 05:36 PM)
30 fricking years ago - on an application.  Who here would want to sit in front of Congress answering some lame ass question about this kind of stuff?  And before I get the "well, it's important" pure bulls*** answer, no, it's not.  If you think it is, get over yourselves.

I certainly wouldn't want to – if I had been a member of a campus anti-diversity organization, that is. :rolly

If 30 years ago I was an active member of the KKK, you don't think that knowing this today would shed the tiniest bit of light on where my ideologies lie?

Congress can't ask nominees anything about an aything that a nominee might potentially have to rule on in the future, so they are stuck looking at past rulings, briefs, and opinions, and also these sorts of forks in the paper trail.

But, in the spirit of full disclosure: 30 years ago I was a card carrying member of the both the KISS Army and Friends Of Old Marvel. Yessireee, I got a closetfull of skeletons. :)

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 06:39 PM)
I certainly wouldn't want to – if I had been a member of a campus anti-diversity organization, that is.  :rolly

If 30 years ago I was an active member of the KKK, you don't think that knowing this today would shed the tiniest bit of light on where my ideologies lie?

KKK? You mean like Senator Robert Byrd (D. WVa.)? :P

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 08:53 PM)
At least Senator Byrd has admitted it, and confronted it head on. There's something to be said for that.

Plus, he rose to the level of 'Exalted Cyclops,' so you gotta tip your hood, er. . . , hat, to that accomplishment.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 11:39 PM)
I certainly wouldn't want to – if I had been a member of a campus anti-diversity organization, that is.  :rolly

Congress can't ask nominees anything about an aything that a nominee might potentially have to rule on in the future, so they are stuck looking at past rulings, briefs, and opinions, and also these sorts of forks in the paper trail.

But, in the spirit of full disclosure: 30 years ago I was a card carrying member of the both the KISS Army and Friends Of Old Marvel.  Yessireee, I got a closetfull of skeletons.  :)

Yea, the f***ing bumper sticker to the organization had on it "we are racial, bigoted assholes who profile against minorities of all kinds... future supreme court nominees need not apply..." and Alito signed right up to become a part of a huge ass witch hunt 30 years later. GMAFB. :rolly

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 06:24 PM)
Yea, the f***ing bumper sticker to the organization had on it "we are racial, bigoted assholes who profile against minorities of all kinds... future supreme court nominees need not apply..."  and Alito signed right up to become a part of a huge ass witch hunt 30 years later.  GMAFB.  :rolly

(I don't really know if I care about this thing, and I'm starting to agree with your GMAFB, but this one is to play devil's advocate for a moment.)

So if this was some pointless organization he joined, why did he feel it was important enough to include it on later job applications?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 08:40 PM)
(I don't really know if I care about this thing, and I'm starting to agree with your GMAFB, but this one is to play devil's advocate for a moment.)

So if this was some pointless organization he joined, why did he feel it was important enough to include it on later job applications?

yea, i really think they're nitpicking at this point.

the Dem senators are just trying to show their "base" that they fought this nomination.

each and every nominee, no matter who appoints them, should be grilled intensively. This is a lifetime appointment to the or of one the most important positions in our country. the position doesnt even allow for will of the people in terms of voting people in.

im tired of the dogsh*t answers that these guys come with during their confirmations too. The whole process stinks.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 03:29 AM)
each and every nominee, no matter who appoints them, should be grilled intensively. This is a lifetime appointment to the or of one the most important positions in our country. the position doesnt even allow for will of the people in terms of voting people in.

im tired of the dogsh*t answers that these guys come with during their confirmations too. The whole process stinks.

turn the tables. the dog s*** answers the senators who basically are now elected for eternity or until they're pickled, or our presidents who can't answer any questions without the pie in the sky bulls***, or (on and on and on)