Judge Samuel Alito's confirmation hearing

YASNY

QUOTE(Cknolls @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 02:13 PM)
Asked if the administration was taking Kerry's call for a filibuster seriously, White House press secretary Scott McClellan chuckled on Friday and said: "I think it was a historic day yesterday. It was the first ever call for a filibuster from the slopes of Davos, Switzerland."

Once again a neutral country is key to Kerry . . .

:D

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 03:52 PM)
This is stupid.  Who cares where he was?  The point is he called for it.

It probably doesn't matter, but it damn sure is funny. How stupid can he be? There is something about losing a Presidential race that turns these guys brains to mush.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 04:06 PM)
It probably doesn't matter, but it damn sure is funny. How stupid can he be? There is something about losing a Presidential race that turns these guys brains to mush.

But he was back in Washington today speaking on the floor of the Senate. Quick turn around don't you think. You couldn't do that flying commercial, in coach no less.

QUOTE(Cknolls @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 05:57 PM)
But he was back in Washington today speaking on the floor of the Senate. Quick turn around don't you think. You couldn't do that flying commercial, in coach no less.

Yes, how dare that elitist John Kerry dare take a private plane! Our wonderful President would never even consider taking his own plane! He's too much of an average American!

QUOTE(Cknolls @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 08:57 PM)

Actually, yes you could. There are literally dozens of flights connecting Europe to the East Coast daily! And they take mere hours rather than days.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 01:14 AM)
Actually, yes you could. There are literally dozens of flights connecting Europe to the East Coast daily! And they take mere hours rather than days.

Do you think he brought back some cheese?

The Democrats voting against Cloture:

Bayh, Evan (D-IN)

Biden, Joseph R., Jr. (D-DE)

Boxer, Barbara (D-CA)

Clinton, Hillary Rodham (D-NY)

Dayton, Mark (D-MN)

Dodd, Christopher J. (D-CT)

Durbin, Richard (D-IL)

Feingold, Russell D. (D-WI)

Feinstein, Dianne (D-CA)

Jeffords, James M. (I-VT)

Kennedy, Edward M. (D-MA)

Kerry, John F. (D-MA)

Lautenberg, Frank R. (D-NJ)

Leahy, Patrick J. (D-VT)

Levin, Carl (D-MI)

Menendez, Robert (D-NJ)

Mikulski, Barbara A. (D-MD)

Murray, Patty (D-WA)

Obama, Barack (D-IL)

Reed, Jack (D-RI)

Reid, Harry (D-NV)

Sarbanes, Paul S. (D-MD)

Schumer, Charles E. (D-NY)

Stabenow, Debbie (D-MI)

Wyden, Ron (D-OR)

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 12:26 AM)
The Democrats voting against Cloture:

Bayh, Evan (D-IN)

Biden, Joseph R., Jr. (D-DE)

Boxer, Barbara (D-CA)

Clinton, Hillary Rodham (D-NY)

Dayton, Mark (D-MN)

Dodd, Christopher J. (D-CT)

Durbin, Richard (D-IL)

Feingold, Russell D. (D-WI)

Feinstein, Dianne (D-CA)

Jeffords, James M. (I-VT)

Kennedy, Edward M. (D-MA)

Kerry, John F. (D-MA)

Lautenberg, Frank R. (D-NJ)

Leahy, Patrick J. (D-VT)

Levin, Carl (D-MI)

Menendez, Robert (D-NJ)

Mikulski, Barbara A. (D-MD)

Murray, Patty (D-WA)

Obama, Barack (D-IL)

Reed, Jack (D-RI)

Reid, Harry (D-NV)

Sarbanes, Paul S. (D-MD)

Schumer, Charles E. (D-NY)

Stabenow, Debbie (D-MI)

Wyden, Ron (D-OR)

The remaining Democrats in the Senate are people of integrity who believe in giving a highly qualified judicial nominee an up or down vote even though they may not agree with him and plan to vote no anyhow.

QUOTE(kevin57 @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 06:21 AM)
I know I'm speaking "blasphemy," but can someone tell me how our own Barack Obama, who is portrayed in the media as walking on water, is any different from Dick Turban?

Its really simple. Obama is black and that makes him a golden boy on the democratic side.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 09:06 AM)
Ever seen Obama speak? The guy is a rockstar, and a centrist - by the way.

I'm not an Obama fan though. He's too much of an opportunist for my tastes.

Yeah, hes just "centrist" enough to vote with Teddy Kennedy on the Alito filibuster.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 09:35 AM)
I have a question for all you Dems out there.

Why is Robert Byrd voting FOR Alito?

(there's a followup observation to this).

I couldnt figure that one out either for the life of me but Im happy to have him on board.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 03:36 PM)
I couldnt figure that one out either for the life of me but Im happy to have him on board.

Oh, I have a pretty good guess as to why. But I want to see what our Democratic friends say first.

Because the President gets to nominate who he wants, and barring any obscenely wrong thing, generally the Senate's duty is to give an elected President his perogative. It's the right thing to do - although I understand the principles behind an Alito filibuster, I don't feel it was necessary.

However, I think its generous that the Democrats are allowing "up or down votes" for our President's judicial nominations. Between 1995 and 2000, the Republican congress refused to allow one out of three judicial nominations an up or down vote in committee, let alone on the floor of the Senate.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 10:11 AM)
Because the President gets to nominate who he wants, and barring any obscenely wrong thing, generally the Senate's duty is to give an elected President his perogative. It's the right thing to do - although I understand the principles behind an Alito filibuster, I don't feel it was necessary.

However, I think its generous that the Democrats are allowing "up or down votes" for our President's judicial nominations. Between 1995 and 2000, the Republican congress refused to allow one out of three judicial nominations an up or down vote in committee, let alone on the floor of the Senate.

PFAW YEAH!!!!!! Ralph Neas: :finger

I hope Bush gets two more picks before he leaves office so there is a clear 5 vote

conservative majority. I wish the Dems would have been successful in their

filibuster because Bush could have nominated Brown and Estrada to the bench and

solidified the majority.

Kennedy Kerry Durbin Leahy Schumer :crying :crying :crying :crying

Better luck next time boys...