Diamondbacks looking to trade El Duque already?

SSH2005

The Arizona Republic reports that the Diamondbacks may attempt to pair Orlando Hernandez and Alex Cintron in an effort to land a younger starter.

Hernandez will make $4.5 million to $6.5 million and is coming off a season in which he was generally ineffective and injured, so he should have little, if any, trade value. Cintron is probably of some interest to certain teams as a utilityman, but it's unlikely the Diamondbacks could receive much in return for the pair.

Source:  Arizona Republic

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 07:52 AM)
If Josh Byrnes somehow turns Duque around with Cintron and gets a good young starter, I will be extremely impressed.  Or I will call the GM who traded for Duque and Cintron a dumbass.

He could probably trade El Duque, but I doubt he'd be able to get a young starter for him. Nevertheless, I'd go ahead and make that deal if I was Byrnes. Then Halsey and Vargas could definitely pitch in the rotation, and Byrnes could use the money he'd save from El Duque and use it to fill needs such as the bullpen.

As for teams that would be interested in Hernandez, maybe the Giants? You know Sabean loves his old guys. Or even the Astros, considering they may be trading Backe in a deal for a good hitter.

He could probably trade El Duque, but I doubt he'd be able to get a young starter for him. Nevertheless, I'd go ahead and make that deal if I was Byrnes. Then Halsey and Vargas could definitely pitch in the rotation, and Byrnes could use the money he'd save from El Duque and use it to fill needs such as the bullpen.

As for teams that would be interested in Hernandez, maybe the Giants? You know Sabean loves his old guys. Or even the Astros, considering they may be trading Backe in a deal for a good hitter.

According to this article, the Giants' rotation is about set.

That means the Giants could start the spring with Jason Schmidt, Matt Morris, Noah Lowry and Matt Cain as the top four starters, then have Hennessey, Kevin Correia, Brian Cooper and Merkin Valdez compete for the fifth spot. It is Hennessey's job to lose.

The Astros could use another starter with Clemens' decision up in the air. This is why I doubt that they will trade Backe. So maybe they would trade for El Duque but...

El Duque + Crawford Boxes = :puke

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 07:13 PM)

The Astros could use another starter with Clemens' decision up in the air.  This is why I doubt that they will trade Backe.  So maybe they would trade for El Duque but...

There's been rumors of the Giants wanting Josh Fogg on a MLC and have him fight out Hennessey for that last spot. Hennessey can easily pitch out the pen still, so I think if El Duque became available for the right price, depening on the Giants budget, they'd have to at least look at it. He'd fit in well with the Latino Clubhouse under Felipe Alou.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 02:13 AM)

The Astros could use another starter with Clemens' decision up in the air.  This is why I doubt that they will trade Backe.  So maybe they would trade for El Duque but...

I don’t think the Astros are that desperate. They saw Orlando pitch in the World Series and they saw him get himself into some jams. Everyone knows that El Duque is done. Unless someone needs a pitcher just to fill a hole in the 25-man roster, than that team would take him and that team are the D’Backs.

El Duque will stay/end in the desert.

QUOTE(Yoda @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 03:16 PM)
I don’t think the Astros are that desperate. They saw Orlando pitch in the World Series and they saw him get himself into some jams. Everyone knows that El Duque is done. Unless someone needs a pitcher just to fill a hole in the 25-man roster, than that team would take him and that team are the D’Backs.

El Duque will stay/end in the desert.

No, I think the DBacks took Duque to get Chris Young. No way in hell KW gives up Chris Young if Zona doesnt take Duque.