Explain your Screen Name?

Texsox

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Yoda @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 05:33 PM)
Isn’t it supposed to be LasMediasBlancas?

As for my name... plain and simple.

I am the greatest Jedi Master (one of only two Jedi that survived the destruction of the Jedi caused by a young pupil that went by the name of Darth Vader) and am currently living in Gary.

Grammatically, you are correct. In Spanish everything has gender and socks, or Sox, are feminine and so it should be 'Las'. But in order to imply that the members of the team are male, you break the rule and use 'Los'.

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 04:39 PM)
Grammatically, you are correct.  In Spanish everything has gender and socks, or Sox, are feminine and so it should be 'Las'.  But in order to imply that the members of the team are male, you break the rule and use 'Los'.

Using the right gender is probably one of the hardest things for most people to get when they are learning Spanish. I've never had much trouble with that, but I've seen a lot of that all through HS and college. I'm a junior now, and I still see people writing la problema and such.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 04:39 PM)
Grammatically, you are correct.  In Spanish everything has gender and socks, or Sox, are feminine and so it should be 'Las'.  But in order to imply that the members of the team are male, you break the rule and use 'Los'.

I see. Makes sense.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 04:35 PM)

I just noticed your post Greasy and thanks for that. :cheers

It’s just that when you say LosMediasBlancas it doesn’t sound right at all. When I see the sports news in Spanish they always say LasMediasBlancas which is why I always wondered why the guy from Soxtalk (LosMediasBlancas) had an o instead of an a. But now that he explained it to me, I understand.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 04:34 PM)
Which, in fact, is a downgrade from the swamp where you used to reside. :P

I was getting a bit lonely at the Dagobah System and ever since the Galactic Empire was destroyed, I thought it was safe to come to a place where I could socialize with people. ;)

hi8is = hiatus

hiatus: "A gap or interruption in space, time, or continuity; a break"

anything i do on the internet is under the name hi8is.... its because im taking a break, an interruption from my everyday life.... im a nerd w00t

QUOTE(hi8is @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 02:59 PM)
hi8is = hiatus

hiatus: "A gap or interruption in space, time, or continuity; a break"

anything i do on the internet is under the name hi8is.... its because im taking a break, an interruption from my everyday life.... im a nerd w00t

I don't know why, but for some reason I've always despised the way that word sounds.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 12:58 PM)
lol shucks I wish I would've seen it. Those boards are Bush League compared to this one though. I remember those guys always used to complain about soxtalk and when soxtalk passed the ESPN White Sox board in total posts everyone was pissed off. I laughed about it and had to check out soxtalk but I didn't become a member for a longtime. My favorite poster there was Bridgeport Joe and Chisox361 always made me laugh. I haven't seen either of them over there for a long time now.

BPJ hasnt been on the site in years. The reason you wont see 361 is he is only there when Frank is playing. Chisox361 was not a sox fan, he is a fan of Frank. He would start fights with the twink fans over the bad calls going against Frank. Anything that Frank hit in the air was a screaming line drive. Grounders were only caught by stretched out amazing plays that were Alomaresque. All strikeouts were dirty umps who had a grudge against him. All fly balls were almost out of there, only to be held up by gale force winds that appear only when Frank hits a popout.

I was originally The Dybber...an homage to one of my favorite nicknames (and mustaches) ever. Then as the Sox were playing so good last year, I didn't want to jinx the team after the '83 debacle. Soooo, I changed my name to my favorite Hawkism...

Can of Corn.

WWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

I went to my first Sox game in 1973, when my family moved to Chicagoland Suburbia. I have lived in Minneapolis for many years, but never considered becoming a Twins fan (or a Vikes fan, for that matter). Minneapolis abbreviates to Mpls. Hence, Mplssoxfan.

Clearly, I'm not very clever.

The av and sig will change on the merest whim.

I don't use smileys and rarely use green, so I'm probably percieved as a bigger ass than I really am. Oh, well.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 06:12 PM)
Another troll we don't hear from anymore is Incorgbl, I do miss knocking his pompus ass around. In fact, he has been the only poster here I really didn't mind calling out.

Incorgbl is one of the main reasons I came here from the MLB boards. It was fun to argue with him. At one time, I had a list of Incorgblisms written down, so I could reply to him with is own words when he was full of s*** (which was often!) He was also the impetus in picking this screen name, as he called me a monkey once, and during my Family Guy viewings, it just came to me. So I became EvilMonkey, and have been throwing my crap around ever since. And as much as I disagree with some of you over in SLP, I love you guys! And gals! OK, you can end this thread right here, since I seem to have a habit of bringing them to a halt.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 07:29 PM)
Incorgbl is one of the main reasons I came here from the MLB boards.  It was fun to argue with him.  At one time, I had a list of Incorgblisms written down, so I could reply to him with is own words when he was full of s*** (which was often!) He was also the impetus in picking this screen name, as he called me a monkey once, and during my Family Guy viewings, it just came to me.  So I became EvilMonkey, and have been throwing my crap around ever since.  And as much as I disagree with some of you over in SLP, I love you guys!  And gals!  OK, you can end this thread right here, since I seem to have a habit of bringing them to a halt.

Baloney (I don't know how to do the trademark symbol)

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 01:44 AM)
Baloney (I don't know how to do the trademark symbol)

Yeah, that was a big one. For him. I always like 'there's your opinion, and then there's the truth', or 'reading comprehension is a skill. Learn it.'