Sutter to the HOF

jackie hayes

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 12:54 PM)
Well done witesoxfan.....Nolan Ryan has always been VERY VERY overrated due to his longetivity, yet Blyleven is dissed for his.  Although Ryan had a million strikeouts too, which is the main reason he's in the hall.

And a few no-hitters on top of those strikeouts.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 03:05 PM)

So what, if one or two of the couple hard hit balls in each of those games land for hits instead of being caught for outs, he shouldn't be in the hall? It comes down to that, a couple breaks in an individual game?

:headshake

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 03:05 PM)

A lot of it is hype. No-hitters are cool, but in the end should not have a huge effect on a player making or not making the Hall of Fame.

I'm not going to argue that Ryan shouldn't be a HoFer. I will say he should never be considered one of the greatest pitchers of all time, and I will also say that if Ryan is a HoFer, than Blyleven should be too.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 02:37 PM)
How does Sutter make it and not Gossage?????

This was my first thought. In their primes, I think Goose was much more feared than Sutter. Goose needs to go in long before Lee Smith too as Smith had the advantage of twilight shadows at Wrigley for a lot of his playing days. Here's to hoping Bruce goes into the hall as a Cardinal.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 03:19 PM)
This was my first thought.  In their primes, I think Goose was much more feared than Sutter. Goose needs to go in long before Lee Smith too as Smith had the advantage of twilight shadows at Wrigley for a lot of his playing days.  Here's to hoping Bruce goes into the hall as a Cardinal.

Agreed on all counts. And the 1982 World Series will be the reason Goose goes in as a Cardinal IMO.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 09:14 PM)
So what, if one or two of the couple hard hit balls in each of those games land for hits instead of being caught for outs, he shouldn't be in the hall?  It comes down to that, a couple breaks in an individual game?

:headshake

No, the all-time strikeout record and 300+ wins come first, and then you can talk about his all-time records for no-hitters (7) and one-hitters (12). IIRC he might also hold the record for most two-hitters. When Ryan was on, god damn was he on.

That said, Nolan Ryan is not one of my Top 10 pitchers in baseball history, and neither is Cy Young.

I didn't know that Anthrax was born in 1977? So you were around for the Darryl Strawberry baseball card craze, just like me. That's all it was, man. He was never a great hitter.

Gooden, on the other hand, had the tools, just not the longevity.

Both guys shouldn't even get a single vote, let alone make it to the HOF.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 08:09 PM)
I didn't know that Anthrax was born in 1977?  So you were around for the Darryl Strawberry baseball card craze, just like me.  That's all it was, man.  He was never a great hitter.

Gooden, on the other hand, had the tools, just not the longevity.

Both guys shouldn't even get a single vote, let alone make it to the HOF.

Well, he was a good power hitter for the first half of his career, but past that, he's nothing. Up until 1991 (when he was 29), he might have been considered a HOFer, but considering he was a nothing past that.

In other words, you are right :P

QUOTE(knightni @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 02:27 AM)
In junior high, I traded an 84 Donruss Strawberry card for an 80 Topps Henderson, an 85 Donruss Clemens and an 85 Topps McGwire.

Pretty good deal looking back on it.

Nice. :D

1985 Topps cards were always my favorite. When it came to baseball cards, I was a pretty spoiled kid. That's about all I ever asked for or cared about, though.

My dad was a huge baseball card nut too, but when he moved back in 1967, his entire collection was disposed of. He told me that he had pretty much every Topps card from the mid 50s through the early 60s. :bang

Hall of Famer Sutter says relievers overlooked

Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:11 PM ET15

capt.nyrd10501111844.hall_of_fame_baseba

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Bruce Sutter, the newest member of baseball's Hall of Fame, says recognition of the importance of relief pitchers has been long overdue.

"We're on the line every day," he told a news conference in New York on Wednesday, the day after becoming only the fourth reliever to be elected to the Hall of Fame. "The game is set up to get to us. It's a very important position," he added.

Sutter said there were other relievers that belonged in the Hall of Fame besides his predecessors Rollie Fingers, Dennis Eckersley and knuckleballer Hoyt Wilhelm, "I wish I was going in with Lee Smith and Goose Gossage," he said about two other great relievers who were on the ballot but failed to win enough votes.

Sutter, whose Cooperstown plaque will show him wearing a St Louis Cardinals cap, helped change the status of relievers, who are now highly prized to preserve the lead at the end of a game.

"The Cubs gave me a chance to play, signed me as a free agent who was undrafted," Sutter said. "The first day I walked into Wrigley Field (in Chicago) was probably the best day of my life," he said. "But I guess people remember me with the Cardinals winning the World Series in 1982. I think my sons remember me most as a Cardinal."

[More in URL]

http://today.reuters.com/news/NewsArticle....BALL-SUTTER.xml

Sutter to wear Cards cap on Hall plaque

Reliever also played for Cubs and Braves in career

By Barry M. Bloom / MLB.com

• 2006 Hall of Famer Bruce Sutter: 350K

Sutter's HOF press conference

Leach on what Sutter means to Cards fans

After 13 years, Sutter a Hall of Famer

Hall of Fame calls on pioneering Sutter

vV3RZb3U.jpg

NEW YORK -- Bruce Sutter will enter the National Baseball Hall of Fame on July 30 with the interlocking S, T and L of the St. Louis Cardinals on his cap, an official of the shrine in Cooperstown, N.Y., said on Wednesday.

"My sons remember me most as a Cardinal," Sutter said. "My one son is 26 years old and I don't think he's ever seen me without a beard. It's not as black as it used to be, but it's still there."

Sutter's career hit its zenith, though, when he helped the Cardinals defeat the Brewers in Game 7 of the 1982 World Series. Sutter pitched two hitless, shutout innings to earn his second save of the series and punched out Brewers center fielder Gorman Thomas to give the Cardinals their last World Series title.

"My family identifies with me throwing that last pitch to Gorman Thomas," Sutter said. "I'm certainly thankful for what the Cubs did for me. I respect their organization. It's the same way with the Atlanta Braves, an awfully fine organization. I respect everybody who's down there and that's still where I live today. But the Cardinals represent the best years of my career."

[More in URL]