Contract extension likely for Hendry

SSH2005

Contract extension likely for Hendry

http://www.suntimes.com/output/cubs/cst-spt-cub11.html

Cubs president Andy MacPhail said Tuesday he will consider during spring training whether to give general manager Jim Hendry a contract extension before deciding at a later date when to make the expected commitment.

If Hendry gets at least a two-year extension, as anticipated, it then would fall to both Hendry and his bosses whether to offer manager Dusty Baker a two-year extension. Indications are that is likely to happen, as well, with both Hendry and Baker entering the last year of their contracts.

''You know how I feel about the two of them,'' said MacPhail, who praised Hendry and Baker. ''I'm not obsessed about this topic. We'll start looking at it in spring training and evaluate it as we go along. We'll look at it like we do players.''

Asked if both Hendry and Baker could get new deals before the start of next season, MacPhail said, ''It's possible.''

Three more seasons of Hendry and Dusty. Cubs fans must be overjoyed at the possibility. :lol:

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 09:23 AM)
I think Cubs management had put out a clear signal:  We will continue to fill the ballpark, and if the team on the field gets lucky and makes the playoffs, so be it.  If they dont, well, we will fill up the stadium next year.

Yep, that's the Cubs mission statement these days. And I find it funny that the Cubs would even CONSIDER contract extensions for Hendry and Baker. There may not be a duo in the league as clueless at GM and manager than those 2.

I think Cubs management had put out a clear signal:  We will continue to fill the ballpark, and if the team on the field gets lucky and makes the playoffs, so be it.  If they dont, well, we will fill up the stadium next year.

I agree with you 100%, and most cubs fans are pissed about this.. there are some that fit our sterotype but I have some that are pissed.. Though they think Hendry is a great GM because of Lee and Rameriz...

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 09:05 AM)
I agree with you 100%, and most cubs fans are pissed about this.. there are some that fit our sterotype but I have some that are pissed.. Though they think Hendry is a great GM because of Lee and Rameriz...

It doesn't matter how pissed off they are if they still buy tickets and merchandise.

You do have to admit that some of his deals worked out all right though, like those 2. Problem is that their whole organization hasn't been smart in how they've worked with those pieces.

It doesn't matter how pissed off they are if they still buy tickets and merchandise.

You do have to admit that some of his deals worked out all right though, like those 2.  Problem is that their whole organization hasn't been smart in how they've worked with those pieces.

I mean I was pissed at KW and Jerry Manuel for years.. I still bought Sox stuff.. You can't turn your back on your team because management can't get it right..

Other than those 2 deals, I can't name one that has benfitted the cubs? Their main problem is pitching and Hendry fails to realize this. He hangs onto the 03 season and wishes that Wood(s) and Prior can come back to that form. The much totated Cubs Minor leagues pitching has also been a flop, its too bad.. I love Lee, think he is the 2nd best 1b in the NL.. sad to see him on such a losey team... Though He will soon be a Yankee in the next couple of years.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 11:11 AM)
I mean I was pissed at KW and Jerry Manuel for years.. I still bought Sox stuff.. You can't turn your back on your team because management can't get it right..

Other than those 2 deals, I can't name one that has benfitted the cubs? Their main problem is pitching and Hendry fails to realize this. He hangs onto the 03 season and wishes that Wood(s) and Prior can come back to that form.  The much totated Cubs Minor leagues pitching has also been a flop, its too bad.. I love Lee, think he is the 2nd best 1b in the NL.. sad to see him on such a losey team... Though He will soon be a Yankee in the next couple of years.

Trading Hundley to LA worked out fairly well for them.