Car Question Right Side Controls

Texsox

I was passing a car today that had "right side steering" and wondered about the pedals. Is the gas to the right or left of the brake? I've always assumed that the gas is always operated with the right foot, but then got to thinking that may be innacurate.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 07:48 PM)
I was passing a car today that had "right side steering" and wondered about the pedals. Is the gas to the right or left of the brake? I've always assumed that the gas is always operated with the right foot, but then got to thinking that may be innacurate.

I don't know for sure but I believe the only car that legally has a right-side steering column is the Nissam Skyline Evo or GT-R.

This one had Mexico plates so who knows. There are a number of cars that are legal in Mexico and by extension, legal to drive within the border zone. It didn't look like a mail car, it was new and more of a car.

Was it a driver's ed car? Our DE car had pedals on the passenger side. Thank God! The first time I was trying to parallel park as I was backing up, I hit the brake to let a car go by. The engine sounded kind of funny, but I wasn't paying attention - I was watching the car pass me. My instructor kept saying, "Take your foot off the gas. Take your foot off the accelerator." I had my foot on the gas the whole time and thought it was the brake. Luckily he had his on the break. No wonder the engine sounded funny. :D

No, I don't know the positions of the passenger side gas and brake.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 05:48 PM)

If you are 'perplexing' over this, you have too much time on your hands. :lol:

It should be obvious to you all that all the cars I've owned have RIGHT side drive. The stearing wheel tends to be right in front of me, the hand brake and gear stick (as well as my wife) are on my left (however my wife can sometimes be found on my back). The radio controls are further forward and to the left of the stearing wheel, because I now have a new fancy car they can also be found on the stearing column so as to save me the exertion of stretching the two foot distance to the main controls, the door and window controls can be found on my right.

As for the foot controls; the clutch is on the left, the brake in the middle and the accelerator (gas peddle?) is on the right. As I am right handed I find this to be for the best. :britishflag: