Tidbit on Hermanson's health status

SSH2005

Here's the scarier part of the article...

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Young and inexperienced hurlers, such as left-handers Arnie Munoz (23 years old) and Paulino Reynoso (25) and right-handers Jeff Bajenaru (27) and Sean Tracey (25), will compete for the final spot or two in relief. It all depends on Guillen's desire to keep 11 or 12 pitchers.

The White Sox have the ultimate confidence in any of this quartet who could make the team. It's the same confidence that helped relievers such as Jenks and Cotts quickly become dominant relievers at the Major League level.

"We traded Aaron Rowand and a young player like Brian Anderson now will get an opportunity," Cooper said. "It's going to be the same opportunity for some of our young pitchers to step up and produce."

If Hermanson can't go, and a veteran does not make it out of ST, I'm hoping and praying it is Bajenaru that makes it. Partly because he is a Soxtalk poster, but also because he has been dominant in the minors the past 2 years.

I want the Sox to give him a shot very, very badly. Just gotta hope he pitches his ass off and makes the team.

If Hermanson can't go, and a veteran does not make it out of ST, I'm hoping and praying it is Bajenaru that makes it.  Partly because he is a Soxtalk poster, but also because he has been dominant in the minors the past 2 years. 

I want the Sox to give him a shot very, very badly.  Just gotta hope he pitches his ass off and makes the team.

Bajenaru could make the team even if Hermanson is healthy if Ozzie elects to go with seven guys in the bullpen instead of six. We could have only four guys off the bench (Mackowiak, Ozuna, Borchard, Widger) due to Mackowiak and Ozuna's versatility. I assume that Ozzie automatically wants to add a lefty regardless of what he chooses to do.

Edited by SSH2005

Yeah at this stage, I really think unless a trade happens, Baj is going to make this team. Of course it depends on the number of pitchers carried etc., but there's definitely room for him, and I think it's fair to say most people here are rootin for him. :)

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 06:44 AM)
There trying to say the right thing, and also try and make it look good if that is the route  they have to take. Im sure right now Kenny is out there looking for another arm, if not two, and if something doesnt work out, we are already hyping up our own system.

I don't the sox are hyping up the young pitchers. If anything the sox don't make moves unless they have a solid backup plan. With the trades of Viz and Marte, if the sox didn't think they have guys who could at least duplicate their production in house, I don't think the sox would make the deals. Esp with the cost of bullpen help goin through the roof, in terms of FA salary and talent in trade.

I think the sox knew they wouldn't be able to make a trade for bullpen help. that meant they'd be going into ST with the young guys.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 05:37 AM)
I don't the sox are hyping up the young pitchers. If anything the sox don't make moves unless they have a solid backup plan. With the trades of Viz and Marte, if the sox didn't think they have guys who could at least duplicate their production in house, I don't think the sox would make the deals. Esp with the cost of bullpen help goin through the roof, in terms of FA salary and talent in trade.

I think the sox knew they wouldn't be able to make a trade for bullpen help. that meant they'd be going into ST with the young guys.

I don't mind that at all. It's funny, every screams when we trade a prospect, but nobody wants to give the kids a shot. :huh

pardon my ignorance, but is Felix Diaz still in the system?  he pitched reasonably well out of the pen in, what was it, '03 or '04?

Nope...

Latest News Dec. 21, 2005 - 1:39 am et

White Sox non-tendered RHP Felix Diaz.

Diaz would have been out of options at the beginning of next season, and he had no chance of winning a roster spot. Several teams will have interest in him on a minor league contract.

The bullpen is the biggest question mark for the 2006 White Sox. Will Hermanson's back hold up the entire season? Will Cliff Politte be the 2005 version or the 2004 version of himself? Will Bobby Jenks elbow hold up? If he's in the bullpen, will BMac be able to adapt to that role? Will any of the journeymen left handers be able to be a decent MLB player? Will Munoz and/or Tracey be able to thrive in a big league bullpen? Cotts is the only one I don't worry about. KW has some work to do, I believe, with this bullpen. Trading Contreras doesn't necessarily solve the issues because BMac, one of smaller question marks then moves into the rotation.

The bullpen is fine. Politte, Cotts, Jenks and McCarthy are a great 4 even if Hermanson is hurt. Those four would be in the majority of close/late games. The second lefty would occassionally have to face a left handed batter in the 6th or 7th inning, and a guy like Baj would just be a mop up guy in blowouts. I don't see any real problem. Guys like Politte and Cotts could regress, but that's true of any player in the majors. Can't concern yourself with that. I wouldn't count on anybody decent being added through FA unless a vet is willing to take a minor league deal.

The bullpen is fine. Politte, Cotts, Jenks and McCarthy are a great 4 even if Hermanson is hurt. Those four would be in the majority of close/late games. The second lefty would occassionally have to face a left handed batter in the 6th or 7th inning, and a guy like Baj would just be a mop up guy in blowouts. I don't see any real problem. Guys like Politte and Cotts could regress, but that's true of any player in the majors. Can't concern yourself with that. I wouldn't count on anybody decent being added through FA unless a vet is willing to take a minor league deal.

If Politte, Cotts, and Hermanson regress a bit our bullpen will be in trouble. And they are all good candidates to regress since they all pretty much had career years last season.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 02:17 PM)
If Politte, Cotts, and Hermanson regress a bit our bullpen will be in trouble.  And they are all good candidates to regress since they all pretty much had career years last season.

of the 3 id be worred most about Politte.... Hermanson when in the bullpen actually performed really well for the giants the season b4... he would have the occasional blowup but dominant mostly.

Cotts Im not 2 worried about at all because I think he really is that good..... Hell if it wasnt for Jenks id love Cotts to be our closer.... Politte always had the stuff but never put it all together b4... but again im confident he will be pretty good at the very least.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 08:17 AM)
If Politte, Cotts, and Hermanson regress a bit our bullpen will be in trouble.  And they are all good candidates to regress since they all pretty much had career years last season.

And if Buerhle, Vazquez, Garcia, Garland and JC regress our starting pitching will be in trouble.

If CC, Cliff Lee, Hafner, Martinez, etc. regress the Indians are in trouble.

Anybody can regress at anytime for any reason and be in trouble. There is nothing KW can do to change that.