Orioles close to 1-year deal with Kevin Millar

SSH2005

The Orioles and Kevin Millar are moving close to an agreement on a one-year deal, according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

Figures. Millar and Jeff Conine seem redundant, but they're still upgrades for the Orioles. As things stand now, it'd work best if Conine moved back and forth between first and left, with Corey Patterson playing against righties and Millar against lefties. We're skeptical that's how it will end up, though. Millar and Conine might both be regulars if Luis Matos is traded.

Source:  Minneapolis Star Tribune

Tejada sure will be happy!

2B Brian Roberts

3B Melvin Mora

SS Miguel Tejada

DH Javy Lopez

RF Jay Gibbons

1B Kevin Millar

C Ramon Hernandez

CF Corey Patterson

LF Jeff Conine

The sad thing is that it's probably better than the Cubs' lineup.

Edited by SSH2005

A few weeks ago someone said that one possibility they were considering for Lopez was putting him at 1b. Seems like this would throw that possibility out the window.

If people stay healthy and Tejada doesn't slow down at the 1/2 way point it's still a pretty good lineup. Not a great lineup, but a pretty good one.

I don't see a weak spot.

I don't see a hell of a lot of strength...but I don't see a weak spot. You could have said the exact same thing about the White Sox last year, and while the Sox had other factors helping them that the Orioles won't, I don't think the Orioles offense is bad.

I don't see a weak spot.

I don't see a hell of a lot of strength...but I don't see a weak spot.  You could have said the exact same thing about the White Sox last year, and while the Sox had other factors helping them that the Orioles won't, I don't think the Orioles offense is bad.

I think the Orioles are missing one more big slugger to bat behind Tejada in the cleanup spot. Javy Lopez isn't the hitter he once was and while Gibbons can hit for power, he doesn't get on base much. But if Patterson pans out and Conine stays healthy and puts up his usual decent numbers, their offense should be fine. Their pitching staff on the other hand...

Edited by SSH2005

Just add another (former) roider to your team, Baltimore.  That ought to help.

It's funny because the Orioles have gone through quite a few players that could have done roids at some point in their careers...

Brady Anderson

Manny Alexander

Tony Batista

Rafael Palmeiro

Miguel Tejada

Javy Lopez

Sammy Sosa

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 04:44 AM)
It's funny because the Orioles have gone through quite a few players that could have done roids at some point in their careers...

Brady Anderson

Manny Alexander

Tony Batista

Rafael Palmeiro

Miguel Tejada

Javy Lopez

Sammy Sosa

Could have?

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5242016

BALTIMORE (AP) - Free agent first baseman Kevin Millar has reached a tentative agreement on a one-year contract with the Baltimore Orioles.

Millar and the Orioles on Thursday neared finalization of the deal, according to a team official who requested anonymity because the former Boston Red Sox star has not yet taken a physical. The exam, which was expected to take place Thursday, was the only remaining step in the process.

Millar signs deal with Orioles

BALTIMORE -- The Orioles have reached a one-year agreement with Kevin Millar, adding another veteran bat to their lineup.

Millar, who spent the last three seasons with Boston, is expected to split time between first base, designated hitter and the outfield. That's a similar assignment to Jeff Conine, who signed a deal with the Orioles last week. Baltimore further clarified the outfield situation on Monday by trading two Minor Leaguers to the Cubs for Corey Patterson, which eliminated the vacancy in center field.

For his career, Millar has hit .289 with 111 homers and 471 RBIs. The right-handed hitter's production tailed off last season, but in three years with the Red Sox, he hit 52 homers and drove in 220 runs. Millar's on-base percentage has never dipped below .348 in any season -- in fact, his .355 mark in 2005 would've ranked second among Baltimore's regulars.

Millar's presence extends beyond the batter's box. Sam Perlozzo, Baltimore's manager, told the Associated Press that he welcomes Millar's presence on the field and in the clubhouse.

"I see him playing a lot of first base, designated hitter and in the outfield," Perlozzo told the AP. "We get a guy with playoff experience, someone who was part of a World Series team. We can use that kind of player in our clubhouse. It gives us a little chemistry."

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article...e2005&fext=.jsp

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 05:15 PM)
1 year, $2.1 million for Millar, in case you wanted to know numbers.  Another $500k possible with performance bonii.

Wouldn't there only be one "i" in boni? Bonii would suggest that the singular form is bonius. Just throwing that out there, and also bonius would be a funny word.