Red Sox sign Julian Tavarez to 2-year deal

SSH2005

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=ApIz...ov=ap&type=lgns

BOSTON (AP) -- Julian Tavarez and the Red Sox reached a preliminary agreement Wednesday on a $6.7 million, two-year contract as Boston added another newcomer to its rebuilt bullpen.

The reliever must pass a physical for the deal to be finalized, a person familiar with the negotiations said, speaking on condition of anonymity because Boston has not yet announced the agreement. The physical is likely to take place Thursday.

Tavarez, a 32-year-old right-hander, gets a $500,000 signing bonus and salaries of $3.1 million in each of the next two seasons. The agreement also includes a club option for 2008 of $3.85 million. That option would become guaranteed if Tavarez appears in a total of 125 games in the next two seasons or 65 games in 2007.

According to the Boston Globe, the Red Sox signed Julian Tavarez after a trade sending David Wells to the Dodgers for Yhency Brazoban fell through.

Wells for Brazoban would have made a lot more sense for the Dodgers before they parted with both Duaner Sanchez and Steve Schmoll for Jae Seo.

Source:  Boston Globe

Contreras for Brazoban and a couple pitching prospects?

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 01:09 AM)

It's a deal that might make sense for us, but I don't think it makes sense for the Dodgers. They already have 4-5 starting pitchers depending on who's healthy, and they're hoping to bring up Billingsly at some point this season to start working him into the rotation, and Contreras would just be in the way.

The Dodgers do have a bunch of lower-level talent though which could make it work if Coletti wanted to.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 09:09 AM)

I think you like the idea of getting little in return for a lot? Contreras is a #1 pitcher on many staffs and most certainly was for the last couple months or so for the Sox

Buster Olney writes in his article about the signing of Tavarez. Whether it was a good signing for the Red Sox or not.

I agree that he could be a bust for the Sawx. He can’t control his temperament on the mound and a place like Boston won’t help. Last season, after the All-Star Break, he posted an ERA over 5 with opponents batting .317 against him. Granted that he’ll start with a fresh ERA this season and all that, he will be pitching in the AL and will be facing teams with better offenses.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 07:00 PM)
I think you like the idea of getting little in return for a lot? Contreras is a #1 pitcher on many staffs and most certainly was for the last couple months or so for the Sox

The Sox have 6 starters. Contreras makes around $6-8 million. HE GONE after the season. He can't be offered arbitration.

Getting something for him instead of nothing isn't a horrible idea.

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 08:41 AM)
Nice to see the Red Sox are finally going after some players, I like how they are trying to get a younger team for the future, brazoban and tavarez are nice players to have out of the bullpen.

Thursday afternoon on the Score, Terry Boers had a new take on the Tavarez acquisition. This occcurred at 4:41 during a thing they call the extra point. He said that, and I'm gonna use his words as closely as I can, the following: 'I have to try and veil this, how can I say it, Tavarez can pitch a little, and his salary is pretty much what you expect for a guy like his numbers pitches, but the thing about him is this. He has a "friend" on the Red Sox. And it's a guy the Red Sox would want to keep happy.'

That was all Boers said. Bernstein said "That's interesting. I never heard that about them."

So, who's he outing - Manny, Big Poppy, or the longest shot in history, I'd say, Wells?