Letter to fans from Paul Konerko

Pierzynski 12

Dear White Sox Fans,

My family and I want to thank each of you for your support all season long and over the past few weeks. We're really excited to be returning to the White Sox for the next five years, as we've grown to love Chicago and we really consider it our second home.

My wife, Jennifer, and I had our first child, Nicholas, in late October, so this offseason has been unlike any other. I've spent a lot of time playing Mr. Mom, and I enjoy staying home with the baby so Jennifer can get out of the house when she needs to. Jen says I carry him like I would carry a football. In fact, the day we decided to re-sign with the White Sox, I was home with Nicholas all day, so he and I made the decision together. He's the first grandchild on both sides of the family, and we're lucky to have my parents and Jennifer's parents nearby -- they're always glad to come over and spoil him when we need to get away.

I started working out again in the middle of November, and I'm feeling really good. I work out five days a week, doing a full strength program to maintain the momentum I gained in September and October. I also try to get plenty of rest now so I'll be prepared to head into Spring Training with a full tank. Having such a short offseason has obvious advantages, but you don't want to work too hard because your body needs a chance to catch up a little bit.

The season was exciting, and obviously pretty hectic toward the end, so my family and I are really enjoying living a quiet life right now. I love the baseball season, and the thrill of the game keeps us going during the summer. But it is nice to be able to sit back, stay close to home and spend time with my family during the holidays.

I'm really psyched about the changes Ken Williams has made to the team for next year. I hate to see Aaron go, because he's a great friend and the kind of intense player you want on your team through the rigors of a 162-game season. But I've always had great respect for Jim Thome, and I thought that Kenny made it pretty clear when he signed him that he fully intends to win this thing again. I'd be lying if I said that didn't factor into my decision to come back to play for the White Sox for five more years, and it's the kind of aggressive move that makes this club successful.

I'll be back for SoxFest at the end of January, so I'll see you then. I hope you all have a happy holiday season.

Regards,

Paul Konerko

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 08:52 AM)
Eh Konerko will never have Frank's torch.... not in my eyes.

For the die hards like us on this site, that's a fact. I'd say most everybody here agrees with that. However, in general, Paulie is the big bopper that carried our offense to a World Title (obviously with the pitching doing the big work of course), Paulie is the guy that will IMO be here until he retires, Paulie is the guy carrying the torch into the new era of White Sox baseball, and Paulie is a GREAT guy and people now know that. I love Frank, but Paulie if he plays like he can through this contract will end up the most popular and one of the best White Sox of them all.

It's the Sox torch, not Franks of which I speak. And most of you were not alive when I went to my first Sox game. :P

Well Frank is gone, and someone will be the face of the organization, and that will be Paul. However you want to phrase it is y'alls choice. And to be honest, Frank could never carry Baines' torch who couldn't carry Fisk's torch, so all is cosistent in the universe.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 10:04 AM)
This letter isn't new...I got this e-mailed to me like a month or two ago...that being said...Paulie has taken the torch...and won't be as big a pain in the ass as Frank...and Frank is still my favorite Sox player of all time.

I was thinking the same thing, man didn't I read this right after Paulie signed?

Paulie now has the torch, he has already helped lead the Sox to their first WS Championship, and they are now primed to defend that championship.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 10:10 AM)
I was thinking the same thing, man didn't I read this right after Paulie signed?

Paulie now has the torch, he has already helped lead the Sox to their first WS Championship, and they are now primed to defend that championship.

Its not new, but the Sox did repost it on their site...so it looks like new stuff.

Do you think Paulie sat down on his laptop and typed this or pulled out an old-fashioned caligraphy pen and dipped it in ink and wrote it out on parchment paper.

I am going with answer C. Someone from the Sox marketing department told Paulie they were sending out a letter addressed to the fans and told him they put his name at the bottom.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 12:10 PM)
Do you think Paulie sat down on his laptop and typed this or pulled out an old-fashioned caligraphy pen and dipped it in ink and wrote it out on parchment paper.

I am going with answer C. Someone from the Sox marketing department told Paulie they were sending out a letter addressed to the fans and told him they put his name at the bottom.

I am certain he approved the copy, but you are correct, someone helped him. But it's all good.

It's the Sox torch, not Franks of which I speak. And most of you were not alive when I went to my first Sox game.  :P

Well Frank is gone, and someone will be the face of the organization, and that will be Paul. However you want to phrase it is y'alls choice. And to be honest, Frank could never carry Baines' torch who couldn't carry Fisk's torch, so all is cosistent in the universe.

Frank > Baines & Fisk

[quore]Eh Konerko will never have Frank's torch.... not in my eyes.

iggnorant.

Konerko is doing a fine job, give him a few years then judge him ;).

I think to call anyone ignorant you have to at least spell the word right. 'Iggnorant' sounds like some awful Easter/Christmas dish.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 09:02 AM)
It's the Sox torch, not Franks of which I speak. And most of you were not alive when I went to my first Sox game.  :P

Well said.

There are always certain characteristics about players that makes us love them. I never watched much of Baines or Fisk, but is seemed like Fisk had a knack for the dramatics, he busted his ass and killed his knees just to play baseball...I don't know how that man can even walk nowadays. Baines seemed like a real lovable, quiet guy who you just couldn't not like. Thomas was amazing with a bat, and his ability to produce alone brought respect for him.

Paulie seems to be a little bit of all of them.