Red Sox will continue to shop Manny

SSH2005

Red Sox will keep trying to move Manny

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5240854

BOSTON (AP) - The Boston Red Sox will keep trying to trade slugger Manny Ramirez even though talks with the Baltimore Orioles appear to have stalled.

Ramirez, the only World Series MVP in franchise history, has never been comfortable in Boston since signing an eight-year, $160-million contract five years ago. He has asked several times for a trade, and the team said it would try to find a deal it likes this winter.

"I think Manny knows that we have made a good faith effort to meet his ... request," co-general manager Jed Hoyer said Thursday night before the annual dinner hosted by the Boston chapter of the Baseball Writers Association of America.

"We haven't found a deal that works for us. I know that he is happy that we've talked to teams and shown a good-faith effort to trade him."

The Red Sox had talked to the New York Mets, then turned their attention to the Orioles when shortstop Miguel Tejada asked them to trade him. But Tejada then said he would stay in Baltimore, and Ramirez reportedly said he would stay in Boston.

"To hold onto Manny's bat in the lineup, I'm glad he decided to stay," said Tim Wakefield, who won the Red Sox Pitcher of the Year Award.

But Wakefield bade farewell to first baseman Kevin Millar, the clubhouse cutup who agreed to a deal with the Baltimore Orioles on Thursday.

"Kevin will be missed," Wakefield said. "He was the guy that always kept things light and humorous and funny. Baltimore is getting a pretty good hitter and a great teammate, a guy that makes things fun."

Trade talks also continue for lefty David Wells, who asked to go to a team closer to his West Coast home. Hoyer also said the team will bring in a center fielder from outside the organization to replace Johnny Damon, who signed with the New York Yankees.

"We're making a lot of phone calls and we're working towards it," he said. "We have a list of guys we're going after and we're going after them hard and I think we're very confident we'll have a very good center fielder in 2006."

Hoyer said he has gotten good reports on both righty Curt Schilling and closer Keith Foulke, two stars of World Series run who struggled last season with injuries. Foulke will start the season as the closer, Hoyer said.

The team is prepared to go with Alex Cora at shortstop, and prospect Dustin Pedroia backing him up, if necessary.

"The season doesn't start for quite a while, and I think there's a lot of teams with openings right now and there's a lot of talk right now," Hoyer said. "The fans want a good leadoff hitter and a good center fielder. I think that's what we're trying to give them. We're not just trying to fill holes as quickly as possible to talk them off the bridge."

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 07:35 PM)
I think I speak for everyone on the face of the Earth when I say,

MAKE UP YOUR f***ING MINDS, BOSTON!  DO YOU REALLY NEED THIS MUCH ATTENTION?  TRADE HIM OR KEEP HIM AND SHUT THE f*** UP ABOUT IT!

the red sox aren't making a big deal about anything. this is a foxsports article, nothing more nothing less.

by that judgement (the wrong judgement), the red sox should trade him for some peanuts and a bag of baseballs because that is all that is being offered for him at this point.

:headshake

the red sox aren't making a big deal about anything.  this is a foxsports article, nothing more nothing less.

by that judgement (the wrong judgement), the red sox should trade him for some peanuts and a bag of baseballs because that is all that is being offered for him at this point.

:headshake

I'm sure you know this but Manny's bloated contract is what is preventing the Red Sox from getting fair value for him. I'm sure Manny's attitude doesn't help much either though. The Red Sox will have to include a good deal of money to move Manny and it may never happen. I also think that the Red Sox are willing to take pretty much any modest offer for David Wells at this point, as long as they don't have to eat any of his contract. They obviously need to dump a starter and 'ol fatboy is a wise choice.

i dont even know what this means...

I think he means that no matter what player(s) the Red Sox trade Manny for, you will say it's a good trade in Boston's favor.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 01:44 PM)
I'm sure you know this but Manny's bloated contract is what is preventing the Red Sox from getting fair value for him.  I'm sure Manny's attitude doesn't help much either though.  The Red Sox will have to include a good deal of money to move Manny and it may never happen.  I also think that the Red Sox are willing to take pretty much any modest offer for David Wells at this point, as long as they don't have to eat any of his contract.  They obviously need to dump a starter and 'ol fatboy is a wise choice.

I think he means that no matter what player(s) the Red Sox trade Manny for, you will say it's a good trade in Boston's favor.

3 years/57 mil in the market teams like the Yankees (Damon) and Dodgers (Furcal) have set isn't as bloated as it once was, although i guess i know what you talking about.

any modest offer? here's hoyers take:

"He knows, like Manny (Ramirez), we’re trying to deal him but there have been no threats made to us about spring training," Hoyer said. "He’s been pretty good on the phone, understanding our situation. He won 15 games and is a very good pitcher, so we need to get a very good deal for him. Generally, the conversations we’ve had with him have been very positive. He understands that we need to get fair value for him in the market." Wells remains a better bet than Ramirez to be dealt.

as for dorf, i think thats ridiculous, but its to be expected because everybody knows any move the red sox make i like, for instance the signing of rudy seanez that i bashed over and over.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 03:59 PM)
Easy way to settle this.

R&W: As of right now, do you support trading Manny? If you do, what return would satisfy you expectations of a good deal in Boston's favor?

of course i dont support trading manny. im on record here saying he's the best right handed hitter in baseball (with pujols, vlad); however, if he truly cannot take the star status he's given in boston, then by all means make him happy if the right deal arises.

to be honest, talent wise, the only rumored deal i'd consider at this point is the tejada one and adding clement into the mix is pushing it.

of course i dont support trading manny.  im on record here saying he's the best right handed hitter in baseball (with pujols, vlad); however, if he truly cannot take the star status he's given in boston, then by all means make him happy if the right deal arises.

to be honest, talent wise, the only rumored deal i'd consider at this point is the tejada one and adding clement into the mix is pushing it.

Pujols > Manny > Vlad

But anyways, the money side of that trade is insane. If the Orioles took accepted Manny and Clement for Tejada, they would be adding around $20 million to their 2006 payroll and more in the future. That's crazy.

And the Dodgers already turned down a proposed trade of David Wells for Yhency Brazoban. I will be surprised if any team trades someone like Brazoban for Wells.

Edited by SSH2005