Toddler dies after head gets stuck in car window

Steff

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/.../printstory.jsp

By ANGELA TABLAC

[email protected]

A nearly 2-year-old Miramar boy died Thursday after his head was trapped between the window and roof of a car parked in front of a Hollywood medical building. His father was asleep in the front seat.

Hollywood police said Thomaris Waite, who would have turned two next week, was in the back seat of a two-door white Chevrolet Monte Carlo, in the parking lot next to Pediatrics Associates at 4500 Sheridan St. His mother and a sibling were inside the building.

The car was not running, but the ignition was partially on, allowing the radio and electric windows to operate.

Shortly after 4 p.m., the boy apparently stuck his head out the back passenger window and inadvertently pressed the electric window switch, causing the window to go up, police said.

''He pretty much suffocated,'' Capt. Tony Rode said.

A patient leaving the building saw the toddler's head trapped between the window and the roof and pounded on the window to wake up the father, 25-year-old Thomas Waite, police said.

The child, who was not breathing, was taken into the medical building and later transported to Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital, where he died.

''It appears to be nothing more than a tragic accident,'' Rode said.

Police continue to investigate the incident, and autopsy results are pending.

A tragic accident.. a tragic ACCIDENT...??? :headshake

I don't understand how a child can accidentally choke himself without thrasing and waking up his dad. Especially in a two door car. If anything, the father probably left the car (for whatever reason) while his son suffocated. The "sleeping in front seat" allibi sounds false.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 04:06 PM)
I don't understand how a child can accidentally choke himself without thrasing and waking up his dad. Especially in a two door car. If anything, the father probably left the car (for whatever reason) while his son suffocated. The "sleeping in front seat" allibi sounds false.

Someone not related woke him up...??

You can see this happening..? I suppose I could... if the parent was an irresponsible piece of s*** who didn't think it was necessary to watch a 2 year old at all times! :angry:

Since my kid is shortly out of the toddler years, I have to say that when you have a superactive kid, you dont just fall asleep around the kid. And even if you do, you are alert. To know that this guy passed out cold while his kid had free reign of the backseat of the car is disturbing and just hard to believe as it stands.