Report: Zawahiri dead?!

Balta1701

Pakistani sources are suggesting that a U.S. airstrike a few days ago inside of Pakistan on a suspected Al Qaeda safehouse may very well have killed Ayman Al-Zawahiri, the #2 man in that organization and the guy who probably deserves most of the credit for its construction.

No confirmation yet and there probably won't be any for a couple days, and I think it's been reported a couple times that he may be dead and none of them have panned out thus far, but this would be a wonderful victory if we got him.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 07:18 PM)
Pakistani sources are suggesting that a U.S. airstrike a few days ago inside of Pakistan on a suspected Al Qaeda safehouse may very well have killed Ayman Al-Zawahiri, the #2 man in that organization and the guy who probably deserves most of the credit for its construction. 

No confirmation yet and there probably won't be any for a couple days, and I think it's been reported a couple times that he may be dead and none of them have panned out thus far, but this would be a wonderful victory if we got him.

Keeping fingers crossed. Killing him would be huge.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 07:33 PM)
I would much rather of seen him brought to justice for his crimes, but the fact he won't be able to kill anyone else, is comforting in a shallow kind of way.

If this is true then just like the President promised.........we brought justice to him.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 05:22 PM)
It'd be neater to give him the head lice inspection and humiliate him.

Bin Laden is the one that we need to capture alive, because capturing him alive humiliates their whole organization. Zawahiri...we can do whatever we want to him, whether its killing or capturing, because he's not nearly as much of a symbol as Bin Laden.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 08:00 PM)
Bin Laden is the one that we need to capture alive, because capturing him alive humiliates their whole organization.  Zawahiri...we can do whatever we want to him, whether its killing or capturing, because he's not nearly as much of a symbol as Bin Laden.

Getting #2 would be a lot better than nothing. Hopefully Bin Laden isn't too far away.

justice? kill his ass, that's justice. justice sure isnt putting a roof on his head and feeding him three squares a day. he deserves torture, i think, but most would agree that torture is going too far realistically. in conclusion, i hope he's dead.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jan 17, 2006 -> 02:10 PM)
Looks like now Zawahiri was invited but didn't show up.  Looks like he sent some of his lackeys instead and they got wiped out.  Evidentely 10-12 of the dead were terrorists.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/01/1...e.ap/index.html

Eventually, these guys will get found and destroyed. It's a matter of time.

So it seems Pakistan is still claiming that they killed that bomb-maker, but they haven't produced any evidence to that fact, including examinations of the bodies.

Confusion yesterday surrounded the identity of three of the four al-Qaeda members named by Pakistan's intelligence officials as the victims of a CIA-led air strike in a remote region on the Afghan border.

An al-Qaeda bomb expert, for whom the US had offered a $5m (£2.8m) bounty for information leading to his capture, and the son-in-law of Ayman al-Zawahiri, al-Qaeda's second-in-command, were said to be among the four killed.

However, analysts queried the information because it not appear to be derived from physical identification or DNA testing of the bodies. The CIA-led attack last Friday also killed at least 18 civilians.

Pakistan's intelligence officials yesterday said one of those killed was Midhat Mursi al-Sayid Umar, also known as Abu Khababal-Masri. An official identified him as "al-Qaeda's chief bomb maker, the guy who was the architect of its explosive-making machinery".

Again, the reports of his death, like Mr. Twain's, may have been greatly exaggerated.

AL-Qaeda's number 2, Ayman al-Zawahiri, paid tribute to the Islamist "martyrs" in Afghanistan, in an audiotape posted overnight on an Islamist website purportedly from the target of an air strike last week.

The tape, whose authenticity could not immediately be confirmed, gave no indication of when the recording was made. But the website said it was "a new speech by Sheikh Ayman al-Zawahiti, may God protect him".

Qaeda chief releases new tape

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 04:55 PM)
you've had 4 years, how long do you need?

Well, first I'd say we need a President who takes them seriously.

A refresher, for those who have forgotten that GWB pretty much had bin Laden off the radar in March of 2002.

And, again, I don't know where he is.  I  --  I'll repeat what I said.  I truly am not that concerned about him.

Bush news conference, March 13, 2002

This was ONLY SIX MONTHS after 9-11, and in that time the president has become unconcerned about a person he swore he'd get "dead or alive" just a half-year earlier.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

• 2 weeks later...