Dodgers acquire Danys Baez

Pierzynski 12

LOS ANGELES -- With Eric Gagne returning from elbow surgery and eligible for free agency after 2006, the Dodgers reinforced their bullpen on Saturday for the near-term -- and maybe longer -- by acquiring 2005 All-Star closer Danys Baez, 2003 All-Star reliever Lance Carter and cash considerations from the Tampa Bay Devil Rays for young pitchers Edwin Jackson and Chuck Tiffany.

The 28-year-old Baez, a Cuban-born right-hander, saved 41 games -- fifth in the American League -- with a 2.86 ERA for Tampa Bay in 2005, and has 102 saves in four seasons.

He started his career with Cleveland, was released after the 2003 season and signed with Tampa Bay. Baez pitched for Cleveland in 2001, when new Dodgers manager Grady Little was an Indians coach, and made his only postseason appearance that year.

Baez is under contract for 2006 with a $4 million salary and is eligible for free agency after the 2006 season. The Dodgers are paying Gagne $10 million this year and the club has a 2007 option for $12 million, but Gagne can void the option, receive a buyout of $250,000 ($650,000 if he finishes 50 games this year) and also declare free agency.

The 31-year-old Carter logged 57 innings in 39 games with a 4.89 ERA in 2005. He is expected to pick up some of the innings lost by the departures of Duaner Sanchez and Giovanni Carrara. Carter underwent Tommy John elbow reconstruction twice, in 1996 and 2000.

"The opportunity to add two relievers of this caliber to our bullpen fills a big need for us," said Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti. "Danys is one of the top closers in the American League, and Lance has had success in the Major Leagues as well."

The 22-year-old Jackson, once the top prospect in the Dodgers' farm system, has been a disappointment the past two seasons, plagued by a sore forearm in 2004 and continued inconsistency in 2005, when he was briefly demoted to Double-A. In 19 games with the Dodgers over three seasons, he is 6-4 with a 5.50 ERA.

The left-handed Tiffany, who turns 21 this month, was taken in the second round of the 2003 First-Year Player Draft. Some in the organization believe he has been passed by 20-year-old left-hander Scott Elbert, who was selected in the first round of the 2004 draft. Tiffany went 11-7 with a 3.93 ERA at Class A Vero Beach last year.

Jackson and Tiffany are the first top prospects Colletti has traded during his extreme makeover of the Dodgers' roster.

The Dodgers now have $95 million committed in 2006 payroll to 18 players. Colletti, on the job less than two months, has moved off the roster 17 of the 39 players he inherited. In addition to Baez and Carter, he has acquired veterans Rafael Furcal, Bill Mueller, Nomar Garciaparra, Kenny Lofton, Brett Tomko and Sandy Alomar Jr.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article...e2005&fext=.jsp

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 14, 2006 -> 09:28 PM)
Heard about this. Just makes me believe we probably could've held out for more for Damaso Marte like Edwin Jackson.

Mack is more important then Edwin at this point, also Baez was much better then Dam last season. Edwin is still a solid spect but he's not what he was.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 14, 2006 -> 10:28 PM)
Heard about this. Just makes me believe we probably could've held out for more for Damaso Marte like Edwin Jackson.

It took Baez and Carter to get Jackson. Baez is twice the reliever that Marte is. No way we would have gotten a prospect of Jackson's calibur for Marte only.

I think we did quite well with Mackowiak. Its hard to believe we would have done a lot better than getting one of the best bench players in baseball for Marte.

Tampa Bay did very well here. If there's one thing they need more of, it's quality pitching prospects. Tiffany's a good one, and I think if Jackson's handled properly, he can maybe produce what everyone thought he was originally going to do a couple of years back.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 14, 2006 -> 09:45 PM)
Tampa Bay did very well here. If there's one thing they need more of, it's quality pitching prospects. Tiffany's a good one, and I think if Jackson's handled properly, he can maybe produce what everyone thought he was originally going to do a couple of years back.

I'm not so sure about that...Jackson "if handled properly" might be able to produce, but he's already pitched in the big leagues so I believe his arbitration clock has already started, and he's only on 1 down season, so it may well be possible that Coletti thinks his stock would be dropping lower in the near future and dumping him now.