Nomar to play for Mexico in WBC

Pierzynski 12

MEXICO CITY -- Dodgers first baseman Nomar Garciaparra will play for Mexico at the World Baseball Classic in March.

The native of Whittier, Calif., qualifies because of his Mexican parents, Mexican baseball league president Alejandro Hute said in a newspaper interview published Saturday.

A Dodgers official confirmed Garciaparra's WBC participation on Saturday afternoon.

The 32-year-old Garciaparra played for the Red Sox and the Cubs before signing with Los Angeles.

Mexico is in Group B of the world tournament, playing against the United States, Canada and South Africa. The team includes pitchers Oliver Perez of Pittsburgh, Rodrigo Lopez of Baltimore and Luis Ayala of Washington

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/NASApp/m...t=.jsp&c_id=mlb

How exactly do you qualify to play for a particular country?

Interesting decision by Nomar. I wonder if he speaks Spanish.

As a side note, when I was a kid, most of the Latin ballplayers in MLB were Mexican. Today, there are few and far between. I know there has been a huge influx of Dominicans and Venezuelans, but why the drop off in Mexicans??

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(Jake @ Jan 14, 2006 -> 09:50 PM)
I'm Greek, and as Garciaparra doesn't sound too Greek. Doesn't sound very Mexican either though.

i dont know what made me think that. He looks greek to me, I guess. I never thought he was hispanic, thats for sure. He just never came across to me like that.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 14, 2006 -> 10:27 PM)
Garcia = Mexican

Parra = Mexican

Nomar = Ramon backwards(his father's name) = could mean Mexican.

Jury says he's part Mexican.

Thats awesome. I remember the Nomar Ramon part, but I didn't think to break down his last name.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 14, 2006 -> 10:07 PM)
How exactly do you qualify to play for a particular country?

Interesting decision by Nomar.  I wonder if he speaks Spanish.

As a side note, when I was a kid, most of the Latin ballplayers in MLB were Mexican.  Today, there are few and far between.  I know there has been a huge influx of Dominicans and Venezuelans, but why the drop off in Mexicans??

DO YOU NOT REMEMBER STEVE LOAIZA?

If I had to take a complete guess...I would guess it's that either the Dominican and Venezuela just have all around better talent, or that soccer is bigger in Mexico than baseball is, whereas baseball is huge in both the Dominican and Venezuela.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 17, 2006 -> 03:50 PM)
DO YOU NOT REMEMBER STEVE LOAIZA?

If I had to take a complete guess...I would guess it's that either the Dominican and Venezuela just have all around better talent, or that soccer is bigger in Mexico than baseball is, whereas baseball is huge in both the Dominican and Venezuela.

Soccer has always been more popular than baseball in Mexico, even when there were a lot more Mexicans in MLB. I think you're right though, it's probably a combination of a few things.