Korean player posted

DBAHO

From Rotoworld;

Korean first baseman Seung-Yeop Lee was released by the Chiba Lotte Marines of Japan following an impasse on contract terms and could pursue a career in the U.S.

Lee looked at major league clubs after leaving Korea following 2003, but because he was only offered minor league deals, he picked Japan and went on to hit .240/.328/.450 and .260/.315/.551 in his two years with the Marines. He also homered three times in the team's four-game sweep of the Japan Series last season. At age 29, he still might only be a candidate for minor league deals in the U.S. There's a good chance he'll take a look around, though. Jan. 15 - 4:08 am et

If he's going to get a minor league deal, we should definitely take a look at him. He'd be an excellent insurance policy in case Jim Thome doesn't recover from his back injury, which is unlikely, but it's good to keep our options open.

We've still got Ross Gload around, so it's unlikely that something will happen, but Gload could conceiveably play in RF for Charlotte (even though he ain't very good at it) if Borchard does make the 25 man roster.

These are Seung-Yeop Lee's career numbers in Japan:

741 AB

.251 AVG

.321 OBP

.506 SLG

.827 OPS

75 BB

167 K

I doubt those numbers would translate well to the MLB. He doesn't walk much, hit for average, but strikes out a lot. Lee is also only four months younger than Gload. I think Gload would probably be a better option.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 15, 2006 -> 04:52 PM)
These are Seung-Yeop Lee's career numbers in Japan:

741 AB

.251 AVG

.321 OBP

.506 SLG

.827 OPS

75 BB

167 K

I doubt those numbers would translate well to the MLB.  He doesn't walk much, hit for average, but strikes out a lot.  Lee is also only four months younger than Gload.  I think Gload would probably be a better option.

I rest my case!

If we're looking for a back-up 1b/OFer, Walter Young just got DFA'd the other day.

I saw that. Massive power and a big-time gut. 6'5", 320 pounds? Good lord, can he even play first base? He's bigger than Frank Thomas. There's no way he can play the outfield.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player....layer_id=425488

ph_425488.jpg

Edited by SSH2005

It's all good in saying that if Thome goes down, Ross Gload is the next option, and I think we would all like that to be the case. But after what happened last season with Gload, are you 100% positive that he'd be the guy they'd look at to fill in? I'm still a little suprised he's with the organization quite frankly. You can say Rogo should then be the guy, but he needs a full season down in AAA first.

Lee's probably not the guy to go after, I should have done more research on him. Cheat brought up a guy in Walter Young though. Has good fairly good minor league stats, although 2005 wasn't a great year for him power wise with only a .772 OPS. Maybe the park he was hitting in Ottawa is a pitcher's one though, I'm not 100% sure. But Young's still only 25, and he hit well in his brief stint up with the O's. He'd be a very good option to look at.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 15, 2006 -> 04:02 AM)
From Rotoworld;

If he's going to get a minor league deal, we should definitely take a look at him. He'd be an excellent insurance policy in case Jim Thome doesn't recover from his back injury, which is unlikely, but it's good to keep our options open.

We've still got Ross Gload around, so it's unlikely that something will happen, but Gload could conceiveably play in RF for Charlotte (even though he ain't very good at it) if Borchard does make the 25 man roster.

I know it won't happen, but if you want an insurance policy in case Thome isn't heathly, there's always Frank.

Of couse I'm dreaming and know it won't happen for many reasons, but seeing as how he's still a free agent and will come cheap, I can still hold out some small glimmer of hope.

Bob

Walter Young got claimed by the Padres FWIW.

Another option though could be Daryle Ward. He's streaky as hell, but a good backup lefty hitter to have.

The Nationals have offered a minor league deal to free agent Daryle Ward.

Between Michael Tucker, Marlon Byrd, Damian Jackson, Robert Fick, Marlon Anderson and Jamey Carroll, the Nationals' bench is already overflowing. Ward wouldn't be anything more than Triple-A insurance in case of a Nick Johnson injury. Jan. 24 - 3:17 am et

He had splits of .274/.339/.463 before the ASB (before he really fell away), and hit .281/.343/.454 against righties, which was a real sore spot for us last season.