BEARS DEFENSE BLOWS

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Soxpranos @ Jan 15, 2006 -> 10:19 PM)
Bears need a better Corner than Tillman, and Ends that stay home and not crash in every play.  Briggs is a stud.. Urlacher does crap in big games.

Yea, that interception was crap.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 15, 2006 -> 11:11 PM)
Plus he had some sick tackles in that game.

It seems that in recent years, when things go bad, Urlacher has been target #1. I've never really understood this.

By the way, the Final Word on Fox just showed AJ Pierzynski on the sidelines sporting a Grossman jersey in the highlights.

Edited by KevHead0881

Tillman should have been removed after the 1st quarter. IMO, he cost us the game with some bad plays. Actually, the entire defense played badly today. And it is sad because the Offense actually played really well. The only positive I see out of this Sunday's games were that the Colts fans can rub anything in. :P

QUOTE(zenryan @ Jan 15, 2006 -> 10:39 PM)
The Bears were finally exposed today. Their defense has been overrated since day 1. I knew they were a 1 and done team come playoff time

Yep you're a genius. Why didn't you tell me earlier? I wouldn't have had to watch the game.

To be fair everyone knows Tillman has trouble with the speedy guys like Smith so it was pretty obvious that was a matchup problem.... Lovie should of had Vasher moving with Smith all game whereevr he went vasher should of been there.... Azumah might of matched up better but he was hurt.

Also despite all the hate he gets Tillman had a really good year this season.... at the begining of the season like first 4-5 games he got burned some but after that he played great the rest of the way and did exactly what he was apposed to..... just he cant stay with speed guys like Smith.

On another note they had to run that play where Delhomme passes to his outside reciever and gives him a chance to make a play.... after that happened 2-3 times you think one of our CB's would be able to step in front of it and return it for an easy TD.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jan 15, 2006 -> 08:13 PM)
I still cannot understand how hard it is to cover Steve f***ing Smith.  Lovie and Rivera made some bad player decisions by leaving Tillman on Smith, then putting a sub on him for another score.  What the hell was he thinking?

hmm, about 100 catches, 1500+ yards, 12 or so TDs, 4.2ish speed, 5'8'' and strong as hell (how did he hold onto that ball when Tillman had two hands vs. his one?)...can't be that difficult.

that said, Lovie should have given Vasher a chance on Smith (I only heard Vasher's name mentioned 2 or 3 times all game), and should have had him double covered on EVERY play. those two TDs it was single coverage, the corners were obviously overmatched and ended up falling down and leaving Smith with no blue jerseys within 20 yards.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 07:32 AM)
Did the Bears actually bother to double cover Smith at any stage of the game (since I didn't see any of it)?

I never saw him doubled at the line with 2 DB's. The only thing they did was roll the Safety over to his side, but even then it should have been on EVERY play. If the Bears D would have taken Steve Smith out out of the game, Delhomme throws for about 100 yards and the Panthers would have never moved the ball. Smith's plays contributed to every scoring drive.

The Bears looked so unprepared, which is surprising from a Lovie Smith coached team. On one of the Panthers TDs the D was confused and players were running on and off the field when the ball was hiked. Then there was a Panther wide open for the TD, another blown assignment by the coaches and Tillman.

Bears Def - Grade F

Bears Coaches - Grade D-

Bears Special Teams - Grade D

QUOTE(zenryan @ Jan 15, 2006 -> 10:39 PM)
The Bears were finally exposed today. Their defense has been overrated since day 1. I knew they were a 1 and done team come playoff time

They were overrated since they were 1-3? Or when they were giving up the least points in the NFL?? I guess the "ratings" really had something to do with that performance huh? Go back to your hole.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 09:08 AM)
They were overrated since they were 1-3?  Or when they were giving up the least points in the NFL??  I guess the "ratings" really had something to do with that performance huh?  Go back to your hole.

Because those NFC North offenses are 2nd to none. :headshake

Edited by nitetrain8601

Correct me if I am wrong. The Bears play a very vanilla defense called the Cover 2. In this defense there is no man-to-man coverage and there is no double teaming. A player is given an area to cover and there is no real double coverage areas.

Blitzes and what not result in adjustments but for the most part you are responsible for a gap or an area and go from there.

I assumed this was why nothing was done to stop Smith. All he had to do was find a area to get to and that was that.

Tillman should have worn cleats, that would've helped.

Vasher is a cover two corner, Tillman is not.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 07:08 AM)
They were overrated since they were 1-3?  Or when they were giving up the least points in the NFL??  I guess the "ratings" really had something to do with that performance huh?  Go back to your hole.

Personally, I don't think the Bears were all that overrated, I think the Bears today were outcoached and outplayed. Their defense came out looking rusty, like they hadn't played togehter in a few weeks, and they weren't attacking like they were late in that winning streak. And furthermore, the Panthers devised half a dozen little ways to get around the Bears defense, like loads of WR Screens to smith & so forth.

But the thing that really hurt the bears was the coaching. Presumably a few people here have noticed how Smith was able to find seams in the zone or run over CB's who were trying to single cover him, so I won't dwell on that.

As a win or lose diehard Bears fan for over 40 years now, (the 1969 1-13 season was a real heartbreaker, for example) i was very disappointed with the outcome of yesterday's game, but very delighted as to the great season they had in the face of adversity...........

:gosox1: GO NFC NORTH CHAMP CHICAGO BEARS IN 2006! :D :gosox1:

:gosox3:

:cheers