BEARS DEFENSE BLOWS

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 11:24 AM)
Personally, I don't think the Bears were all that overrated, I think the Bears today were outcoached and outplayed.  Their defense came out looking rusty, like they hadn't played togehter in a few weeks, and they weren't attacking like they were late in that winning streak.  And furthermore, the Panthers devised half a dozen little ways to get around the Bears defense, like loads of WR Screens to smith & so forth.

But the thing that really hurt the bears was the coaching.  Presumably a few people here have noticed how Smith was able to find seams in the zone or run over CB's who were trying to single cover him, so I won't dwell on that.

Actually, I think the defense played rather well when you take away the scorching Tillman took at the hands of Smith. I wish they could have put more pressure DelHomme though.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jan 17, 2006 -> 03:30 AM)
Actually,  I think the defense played rather well when you take away the scorching Tillman took at the hands of Smith.  I wish they could have put more pressure DelHomme though.

Nah they played s***ty even taking into account Tillman's crap play..... Vasher and Urlacher were really the only ones that showed up it seemed. A couple others didnt play horrible but didnt really make a difference either.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 17, 2006 -> 08:38 AM)
Nah they played s***ty even taking into account Tillman's crap play..... Vasher and Urlacher were really the only ones that showed up it seemed.  A couple others didnt play horrible but didnt really make a difference either.

Briggs played really well IMO also. Another huge problem was that they couldnt get any pressure on DelHomme. The line just wasn't there today.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jan 17, 2006 -> 10:10 AM)
Briggs played really well IMO also.  Another huge problem was that they couldnt get any pressure on DelHomme.  The line just wasn't there today.

That is what i was afraid of most of all, was that all of the trash talk and bragging about 8 sacks was going to fire up their offensive line. And it sure did, not only did Delhomme go untouched, but the running game was on point all game.

Of course, everything in the entire game was set up by the 2nd play of the game. From the first touchdown to Steve Smith, the Bears were off-kilter from that point on. They didnt know if it was a pass or a rush, and it showed.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 17, 2006 -> 09:27 AM)
well the reason they D-Line couldnt get all that pressure is because most plays Carolina had two TE's.....so its hard to win when they can double team everyone on the D-Line practically or the 3 that matter really Brown, Ogunleye, and Harris.

This is what everyone keeps forgetting....Carolina only sent out 2 WR on most plays... so they had 7 or 8 guys blocking.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jan 17, 2006 -> 07:44 AM)
This is what everyone keeps forgetting....Carolina only sent out 2 WR on most plays... so they had 7 or 8 guys blocking.

Then if the Bears' defense was as good as advertised, they shouldn't have had a problem stopping 2 wide receivers and keeping them covered. It should be a trade-off on both sides - they want to keep 7-8 men on the line to block for the QB and RB...they should be able to get some yards running, but they shouldn't be able to find an open receiver all day.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 17, 2006 -> 09:30 PM)
Then if the Bears' defense was as good as advertised, they shouldn't have had a problem stopping 2 wide receivers and keeping them covered.  It should be a trade-off on both sides - they want to keep 7-8 men on the line to block for the QB and RB...they should be able to get some yards running, but they shouldn't be able to find an open receiver all day.

No one is making excuses for the secondary we are simply talking about people complaining about not getting enough pressure on the QB. And to be fair 2 TD's were from a guy slipping which led to a wide open Steve Smith.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 05:34 AM)
No one is making excuses for the secondary we are simply talking about people complaining about not getting enough pressure on the QB.  And to be fair 2 TD's were from a guy slipping which led to a wide open Steve Smith.

But both times a guy slipped...Smith was wide open, and not single-covered. When you have a receiver that good, there should be at least help in the neighborhood in case someone does slip or wind up out of position. Both times that someone slipped there was no help in the area.